BM's Sons of Horus, a new beginning

Bmseifer

Welcome.

This thread will be dedicated to a new project, starting an army in the age of darkness. So far all my 40k armies have been monochrome in color so this felt like a perfect opportunity to break that trend. While looking through the legions I fell for the sea green of the sons of horus and I like the feel overall in the theme of the legion.

So let's get it started then! I bought a Betrayal at Calth box to begin with and tried out different colors. I will be placing a FW order this weekend and am planning on getting the lupercal and sons of horus colors (If I understand it correctly they don't sell their airbrush colors in drop-bottles? seriously?)

But until that order arrives, here's a test dude with what colors I had available:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20160227_010339_resized_zpsppt7svlp.jpg

I'm not sure if should add weathering or not. So far I only painted minimal battle damage and I will probably be using some pigments around the feet to tie the models to their bases when it's time to base them.

c&c welcome

Really nice looking green you have achieved! I'm not the biggest fan of weathering unless it is done exceedingly well, and honestly I think your green looks gritty and dark enough to look like worn armor without having to cover it in dirt and scratches.

Great job man, look forward to more. thumbsup.gif

Edit: you're correct FW don't supply their paint in dropper bottles, that is why I'd invest in some generic dropper bottles and a few pipettes that you can use to transfer the paint over.

That's an awesome green.  How did you achieve it?

And I agree with Athrawes: your green is already dirty enough that I think additional weathering is unnecessary.  If anything, up the amount of (or contrast of) battle damage with some silvers or blacks to break up some of the larger panels.

Really nice looking green you have achieved! I'm not the biggest fan of weathering unless it is done exceedingly well, and honestly I think your green looks gritty and dark enough to look like worn armor without having to cover it in dirt and scratches.

Great job man, look forward to more. thumbsup.gif

Edit: you're correct FW don't supply their paint in dropper bottles, that is why I'd invest in some generic dropper bottles and a few pipettes that you can use to transfer the paint over.

Thanks. Yeah, I think I will try to keep the weathering to a minimum and only paint minor scratches

That is really lovely. Can't wait to see more.

Thank you, more will follow and I will try to get proper pictures taken

Looks absolutely amazing, though the file doesn't seem to be embedded properly in the post (it needs to be clicked).

Looking forward to more!

Cheers,

BTB

Thank you. Doesn't the picture show in the post? It does when I open the thread

That's an awesome green. How did you achieve it?

And I agree with Athrawes: your green is already dirty enough that I think additional weathering is unnecessary. If anything, up the amount of (or contrast of) battle damage with some silvers or blacks to break up some of the larger panels.

My green is, by airbrush:

Prime black

Basecoat with a 2:1 mix of VGC Scurvy green and VMA Dark sea blue

Highlights are made by adding Scale75 Unnatural flesh to the above mix.

Finally I add an enamel wash

I'm considering decreasing the amount of blue because I feel the result are almost to turqouise

Very nice, I do rather like the muted shades of that green-turquoise!

Quick question, do any of the arm pairs fit for the Heavy Bolter or is there a particular set you have to use? I ask because I ordered some BaC Marines myself but without the instructions.

Some progress on the veteran squad:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/soh-firstsquad_zpsn7a9wp2y.jpg

And I just placed an order from FW for some Reavers and a couple of Dreadclaws. As I live in Sweden it will probably take 2 weeks for it to arrive, and as I also ordered some FW paints I want to wait painting any more models to be able to try out the lupercal and sons of horus green.

So my FW shipment arrived yesterday and I was eager to test out the new paints. I thought the first test scheme I did felt a little to teal/blue and more like Alpha legion than Sons of Horus. Well, I spent a couple of hours cleaning, assembling and painting and this is the result I got:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20160305_131701_resized_zpsiqmmzeyx.jpg

I like it better, it gives a more desaturated look and doesnt require me to mix colors. the marine above isn't finished but it gives me a pretty clear idea of how they will look.

Oh and by the way, I assembled the first Dreadclaw... and I'm dreading the second one. Way to go, taking the worst plastic kit and making it even worse smile.png

Edit: My cat sat on my lightbox and it crumbled like a house of cards.. Will get better photos as soon as I fix it. Here's the culprit pretending as nothing has happened

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/20160305_135636_zps17nwquug.jpg

Thank you brothers for your kind words.

First of all the green is achieved by:

Airbrush

*Prime Black

*Basecoat FW Lupercal Green

*Zenithial highlight FW Sons of Horus Green

*Point highlight Vallejo pancer ace USMC Tankcrew Highlight

Wash

*Coelia Greenshade

By Brush

Highlight FW Sons of Horus Green

Edge Highlight Vallejo pancer ace USMC Tankcrew Highlight

The green in the last photo might show the colors a little to bright thanks to bad lighting. I tried to patch the lightbox together and took this photo to show more true color

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/Soh1_zpsrqgdg6ol.jpg

So far I'm happy with the scheme in general. I think the green look awesome off camera for the SoH. What I'm fiddling with now are the gold trims. I'm either going to change the recipie for the gold to get a less yellow look to it or maybe even go with black trims. What do you think?

Small update!

I have continued work on my first five veterans and they are mostly done, pretty much only bases left to do. I also started with a test mini for my reavers, need to finish the axe and some detail before I decide if the scheme is astartes approved:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn18/mperssonbmmseifer/IMG_1205_zpsiqxxfjja.jpg

I'm not sure if I want to keep the spikes black for both the black and green schemes or if I should do them in metallics

Work has been slow the last week and will be put on hold for the upcoming week as well. I'm going on a trip to New York on friday so the only time for the hobby will be if I find a GW store on manhattanhappy.png

I'm also trying to assemble a playable force. So far I have:

10 Reavers

2 Dreadclaws

10 Marines (probably going to use as veterans)

5 Legion Terminators (Is it possible to convert to justaerins?)

And I'm wondering what I could add? Maybe the new bundle deal with 5 reavers, 5 justaerin and a dread? And a model to convert/use as Maloghurst? Or something else?

Archived