Imperial Guard synergies for Blood Angels.

Remtek

I recently got a hold of a bunch of IG infantry and have been able to get 3 games in, trying different setups. My general impression is it's semi competitive with some really nice synergies. It should be perfectly doable going 3-2 in a tournament with this depending on missions types of course. 

The main thing is it's fun to play with and against. Creating unkillable deathstars with Dark Angels, Wolves and Space Marines will be more competitive, but with heavy grav-metas blobs can really shine.

- Company Command Squad // BA Drop pods, rhino

4 plasma or 4 melta. With ignore cover order, or the tank hunter/monster hunter they fit really well in a pod. Tau interceptor will really mess them up, but vs many other lists they are a very reliable drop unit. For 5 meltabombs more you can grab an Astropath with bs4, for a suicide shriek. Since having guardsmen in pods is kind of silly, it's perfectly fine just throwing them in a Chimera.

If doing a reserve army, officer of the fleet can be added for an extra 4 melta bombs, giving you 2+ reserve rolls if you pass the leadership test (9) (plus re-rolls if you grab that as well, comms relay, Karlean or Dante), but a Pod won't really work then, they need a chimera, bunker or rhino.

-Ministorum priests // BA Hammernators

These are amazing in any close combat unit, but they do lack mobility. Costing only 5 meltabombs they give; zealot and warhymms. You can take 3 per HQ. Last game i had 2 of them in the blob, while the last one went with hammernators in a Storm Raven. Getting re-rolls to hit first combat round is great for termies, as they can be hit and miss, but the big thing here is war hymms. You must pass a LD 7 test, but if you do; you can re-roll either failed armor/invul saves or get the shred usr. You can either throw an extra ig priest in for more reliable hymms or a Sanguinary Priest for the fnp and +1 WS.

- Infantry Platoon // Mephiston

This is a great unit to put Mephiston in. Meph is still amazing for his points, but there really are no good spots to him now in the BA book. Throw him into a blob of 50 guardsmen, and they can serve as a good anchor/midfield unit while not breaking the bank. As this unit mostly wants to overwatch and assault, only upgrade worth taking are meltabombs. Roll on divination for a chanse at 4++ spell. The sanguine sword is what really makes this unit work. If your playing against lists with mostly str 4/5 spam you can opt for biomancy and grab endurance, but it's harder to cast. Divination also has misforune which can give all the lasguns rending. This unit can deal with IKnights Wraith knights, but still struggles vs mass shooting. Conscripts might be temping, but having 4-5 characters at can eat challenges is cruicial due to Mephistons lack of invul save.

Allies are not for the purists, but perosnally i like some extra flavor every now and then. They also breathe some life into mediorce models like terminators and Meph, which i have been taking less and less.

From a recent game

http://remtek.be/blob.jpg

The minisortium priests sound very good value. I really wish sanguinary priests were still 3 per hq slot. The command squad sounds pretty shooty for its bucks too. Let us know how it plays out and are you tempted to augment your force with IG heavy weapons platforms?

I like command squads in pods with two veteran squads all with plasma. Orders to ignore cover are gold. In Addition i take 3 ministorum priest in an assault Terminator squad with priest in a Land raider for save rerolls and reroll to hit if i pass the save test.

Been eyeing up priests for a while, just been trying to think of a good, fluffy way to represent them.

Perhaps an initiate that didn't quite make it but still venerates Sanguinius and is thrown into battle to help serve him.

Eviscerator to taste xD

Leman Russes make great additions to us, especially as our battle tanks are un-squadable and pretty weak sauce compared.

Archived