Imperial Knights as LoW

Tyriks

I've seen mentions in a couple of threads about how Imperial Knights can be included in any army of the Imperium as their Lord of War choice.  I cannot, however, find that written anywhere in any rulebook.  So, where is that stated?  It would make some sense, since many armies have no available Lord of War but most or all have a slot for one in their Force Organization Charts, but I would hate to treat this as the truth if it isn't.  

As far as I know, regular GW knights can be Lords of War, but someone else's will have to confirm that.

However, almost all (of not all) Forgeworld Knights have a special rule that clearly allows it. Here's an example from the publically posted Cerastus Atrapos PDF:

Other Armies of the Imperium Factions:

A Cerastus Knight-Atrapos may be taken as a Lords of War choice for any faction that is a part of the Armies of the Imperium (see the Warhammer 40,000 rulebook)

So, summary:

Single Games workshop Knight as Allied Detachment = Good

Single Forgeworld Knight as Allied Detachment = Bad

Single Forgeworld Knight as Lord of War = Good.

Edited by Spanish_Muffin

As far as I know, regular GW knights can be Lords of War, but someone else's will have to confirm that.

Knights from Codex: Imperial Knights can't be taken as a Lord of War in another army's Detachment, as only Forge World's datasheets have that allowance.  They're limited to Detachments and Formations from their own Codex, and other Formations that specifically mention them - like the War Convocation or the Anvil of the Emperor.

So, summary:

You can't take any Knights as an Allied Detachment, since that Detachment doesn't have any Lord of War slots.  You have a couple options:

• You can take Forge World Knights as your Lord of War choice in a Combined Arms Detachment, or any other Detachment with a Lord of War slot, if that Detachment is for an Armies of the Imperium Faction.
  • You can also take 1-3 Imperial Knights of any type as an Oathsworn Detachment.  It doesn't make any distinction between Codex Knights and Forge World Knights.
Edited by CommodusXIII

Knights from Codex: Imperial Knights can't be taken as a Lord of War in another army's Detachment, as only Forge World's datasheets have that allowance. They're limited to Detachments and Formations from their own Codex, and other Formations that specifically mention them - like the War Convocation or the Anvil of the Emperor.

So, summary:

You can't take any Knights as an Allied Detachment, since that Detachment doesn't have any Lord of War slots. You have a couple options:

• You can take Forge World Knights as your Lord of War choice in a Combined Arms Detachment, or any other Detachment with a Lord of War slot, if that Detachment is for an Armies of the Imperium Faction.
  • You can also take 1-3 Imperial Knights of any type as an Oathsworn Detachment. It doesn't make any distinction between Codex Knights and Forge World Knights.
Thanks, but I guess I'm still fuzzy on terms.

Let's say I bring the following list:

Primary:

1000 pts of Ultramarines.

Additional:

1 Cerastus Atrapos

1 Questoris Knight Magarea

What is the terminology for the addition of those two Knights? 2 Knights makes it too many to add them as LoW, and enough for an oathsworn.

Does that make this 2 CaD?

Edited by Spanish_Muffin

Knights from Codex: Imperial Knights can't be taken as a Lord of War in another army's Detachment, as only Forge World's datasheets have that allowance.  They're limited to Detachments and Formations from their own Codex, and other Formations that specifically mention them - like the War Convocation or the Anvil of the Emperor.

I was sure there was an errata document that changed that, but I cannot find it anymore.

I was sure there was an errata document that changed that, but I cannot find it anymore.

All I can find is thishttp://thelonelyhavocs.blogspot.ca/2015/05/imperial-knights-are-now-lords-of-war.html

A single army I understand. Now that I'm working on adding others to it, I'm getting lost in the soup!

A player can only ever field a single army, no matter how many factions or detachments it is composed of.

A single CAD is one army as is an army consisting of a Gladius Strike Force (and the required/opional choices),  a Baal Strike Force and Arjac's Shieldbrothers.

It's the terms again haunting me.

What you just said, I knew, but there I go using the wrong words.

I should have said "fielding an army from single codex".

For me, that's Space Wolves. I know how to build a list using their codex, supplements, etc.

Now that I'm adding things from outside codices like Knights, etc, terms are getting me all swamp mouthed with words that I know what I'm saying, but might be wrong to others reading them on paper.

Army is the overall term for what you put on the board. It is composed of one or more factions ie. Space Marines, Eldar etc. Each faction's sub army has to be made up of a pre-determined set of units such as HQ, Elites, Troops, LOW etc.

These sets of units are divided into detatchments. A sub army could include one or a mix of combined arms detachments (the "standard" way of fielding a faction, can include an allied detachment too),  formations (such as the Oathsworn), Decurion (a formation of formations such as the Gladius).

Or can just go unbound and you can take what the hell you want!

96% sure that is right... Maybe 86%....

Army is the overall term for what you put on the board. It is composed of one or more factions ie. Space Marines, Eldar etc.

Correct.

Each faction's sub army has to be made up of a pre-determined set of units such as HQ, Elites, Troops, LOW etc.

These sets of units are divided into detatchments. A sub army could include one or a mix of combined arms detachments (the "standard" way of fielding a faction, can include an allied detachment too),  formations (such as the Oathsworn), Decurion (a formation of formations such as the Gladius).

That is only true for battle-forged armies. Unbound armies can have whatever units you like, but whenever an army (whether unbound or battle-forged) contains more than one faction, you have to play them according to the allies rules (battle brothers, desperate allies etc.).

A Combined Arms Detachment cannot contain an Allied Detachment. They are two distinct detachments that can be fielded alongside one another or separately, the Allied Detachment however requires another detachment  that contains the warlord of the army.

The Gladius Strike force (and other similar groupings) is a detachment, not a formation, which means you could have a Battle Demi-Company and a 1st Company task Force in an unbound army, but the two formations would not form a Gladius Strike Force.

Or can just go unbound and you can take what the hell you want!

Exactly. Do note that you can have formations (with all their special rules) in unbound armies, but not other detachments.

Edited by Quixus

All I can find is thishttp://thelonelyhavocs.blogspot.ca/2015/05/imperial-knights-are-now-lords-of-war.html

Knights are definitely Lords of War - but you can't take a Lord of War from one Codex as a selection for a Detachment for another unless it says you can cross over.  For example, a Space Marine CAD can't take a Shadowsword as its Lord of War.  Forge World explicitly allows its Knights to be used for all Armies of the Imperium Factions.  Codex: Imperial Knights does not do the same for the standard patterns.  In the case of the latter, you're supposed to use the Oathsworn Detachment instead.

Edited by CommodusXIII

From Imperial Knight codex:

''If you are using the Battle-Forged method (the other being unbound), you will need to organise the Imperial models in your collection into Detachments such as the Household Detachment and the Oathsworn Detachment show here.''

(Household is for 3-5 Knights with Command Benefits of their own and Oathsworn is 1-3 with no Command Benefits.)