Word bearers with daemon allies 3000pts

captainblow

Right, as I need to have a picture in my head of the things I have to paint I figured I should make a list, and ask for some feedback. So here we go.

+++ Word bearers first draft (2999pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (2505pts) ++

+ HQ (295pts) +

Legion Centurion (120pts) [Artificer Armour , Boarding Shield, Burning Lore, Melta Bombs, Power Weapon ]

Zardu Layak (175pts)

+ Troops (735pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (200pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour , Melta Bombs ]

Legion Tactical Squad (200pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour , Melta Bombs ]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (335pts) [9x Legion Space Marines , Plasma Guns ]

Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour]

+ Elites (680pts) +

Apothecarion Detachment (60pts)

Legion Apothecary [Artificer Armour, Augury Scanner]

Gal Vorbak Dark Brethren (395pts) [9x Dark Brethren, 2x Power Weapon]

Dark Martyr (25pts) [Artificer Armour , Power Fist]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (225pts)

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery [Graviton Cannon]

+ Heavy Support (345pts) +

Legion Spartan Assault Tank (345pts) [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Flare Shield]

+ Lord of War (450pts) +

Lorgar (450pts) [Lorgar Transfigured]

++ Chaos Daemons: Codex (2013) (Allied Detachment) (494pts) ++

+ HQ (350pts) +

Be'lakor, The Dark Master (350pts)

+ Troops (144pts) +

Pink Horrors of Tzeentch (144pts) [16x Pink Horrors]

Zardu goes for cursed earth and sacrifice from daemonology, and joins the gal'vorbak in the spartan.

Lorgar joins the plasma support squad, with the apothecary. He grabs levitation, perfect timing and precognition.

The centurion rolls on biomancy, depending on what he gets he either joins the gal vorbak, or the plasma squad.

This will use the dark brethren rite of war.

I'm not looking for cutting edge competitive, but I don't want it to be a wet noodle either.

What do you guys think/would you change?

Thanks for taking the time and reading this!

I'd say you drop a gal vorbak and make the centurion a librarian instead, always helpful and he gets a force weapon on top.

The lorgar plasma squad is a wet noodle and a huge fire magnet. The only ap2 weapons and your low in one unit that can be cut through like paper isn't exactly good. Also if your opponent rolls some graviton weapons himself they won't even get far. So maybe just put lorgar in the gal vorbak and drop some guys to give them a rhino instead.

@Azkaellon3, he can't take a Librarian instead of a Centurion, due to the Charismatic Leadership restriction. A Chaplain is possible, but why bother paying for it when Zardu Layak has Zealot anyway?

@captainblow, looks pretty good really. You've covered your bases well. You have some cool toys there, and the stuff you have will work well against their intended targets. Having 2 deadly targets for your opponent to decide between is good!

Have you considered Seekers with combi-plasmas instead of a plasma Support Squad? BS5 with Preferred Enemy against your Marked For Death target is going to hurt! Will still have some versatility afterwards with their Special Issue Ammo, but won't be such a massive target once they've expended their PE plasma. And considering Be'lakor has all the Telepathy powers, you should be able to keep them alive.

Anti-tank is a bit of a weakness. 3 graviton Rapiers is fine, but probably not enough to deal with an "Armoured Breakthrough" or "Head of the Gorgon" list. Though Be'lakor's S7 Armourbane sword should help alleviate that, I suppose. :)

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

I thought Lorgar tanking with a rerollable 2+/4++, fnp and iwnd won't just topple over. Barrage weapons could form a problem I imagine.

Reason I didn't give them a transport is Lorgar will have levitation, and I'd need to find the points somewhere.

Regarding damage output from the plasmasquad, they will have PE (loyalist marines), as the rite of war gives it to all word bearer IC's and PE confers right? They also get perfect timing for some ignore cover awesomeness.

I agree anti tank is lacking, a dual grav contemptor in a pod would be nice, but where to find the points. Something to think about.

Well medusas aren't that uncommon as is massed ap2 shooting. So it needs 16 wounds on lorgar to kill him.

And of course there is the problem of plasma being rapid fire weapons so no assaulting with a character who wants to be in assault.

But hey maybe it's just personal preference to stick a combat character in a cc squad.

If you really want to take plasma dudes make them termis with combi plasma and so you're able to get one brutal round of shooting and have a second melee sledgehammer. And that way worrying about barrage weapons is a bit less necessary as the termis would have a 5+/4+, depending on which type you take.

Archived