DG Dark Compliance + Mechanicum

Charlo

After much searching the Army of Dark complain seems like the one for me!

Marines, Disposable dudes and Allied Ad Mech. Perfection.

This is what I'm thinking at the moment:

Grenadiers hold the line pumping out S4 BS4 shots and holding out like Marines with T4 3+ plus FNP from medics. Force Commander will chill with one squad.

Ogryns have minimum investment and will stay back. They are insurance again enemy deep strike and infiltration. They will also protect the Magos, Thanatar and Castellax.

Marines job is simple. Leviathan Drops down and causes mayhem, deathshroud and Forge Lord go for the throat and the Grave Wardens choose an objective and hold the hell out of it/ hunt AV with chain Fists.

Anvillus pods meanwhile make a nuisance of themselves.

+++ DARK DORFS (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1160pts) ++

+ HQ (155pts) +

Legion Centurion (155pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chem-munitions, Cyber-familiar, Rad Grenades, Thunderhammer]

····Consul [Forge Lord]

+ Elites (290pts) +

Deathshroud Terminator Squad (290pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 4x Deathshroud Terminators, Melta Bombs]

+ Heavy Support (715pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (310pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 2x Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator]

····Chem-master [Combi-weapon, Deathshroud Power Scythe]

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (405pts)

····Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Grav-flux Bombard, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

++ Imperialis Militia and Cults Army List (Allied Detachment) (790pts) ++

+ HQ (175pts) +

Force Commander (175pts) [Needle pistol, Power Armour]

····The Muster of Worlds [Abhuman Helots, Survivors of the Dark Age]

+ Elites (245pts) +

Auxilia Ogryn Brute Squad (205pts) [Carapace Armour, 3x Ogryn Brutes, 3x Power Weapon]

Imperialis Auxilia Medicae Detachment (40pts) [3x Medicae Orderly]

+ Troops (370pts) +

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad (185pts) [Advanced Weapons, 17x Grenadiers, Lasrifles, 2x Special Weapons Grenadier with Rotor Cannon, Vexilla]

····Grenadier Sergeant [blast Pistol, Blast Pistol, Melta Bombs]

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad (185pts) [Advanced Weapons, 17x Grenadiers, Lasrifles, 2x Special Weapons Grenadier with Rotor Cannon, Vexilla]

++ Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List (Allied Detachment) (550pts) ++

+ HQ (75pts) +

Magos Dominus (75pts)

+ Troops (175pts) +

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (175pts) [Enhanced Targeting Array, Paragon of Metal]

····Castellax class Battle-automata [Darkfire Cannon]

+ Heavy Support (300pts) +

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple (300pts) [Enhanced Targeting Array, Paragon of Metal, Thanatar Class Siege-automata]

+ Legion +

Legio Cybernetica

After much searching the Army of Dark complain seems like the one for me!

Marines, Disposable dudes and Allied Ad Mech. Perfection.

This is what I'm thinking at the moment:

Grenadiers hold the line pumping out S4 BS4 shots and holding out like Marines with T4 3+ plus FNP from medics. Force Commander will chill with one squad.

Ogryns have minimum investment and will stay back. They are insurance again enemy deep strike and infiltration. They will also protect the Magos, Thanatar and Castellax.

Marines job is simple. Leviathan Drops down and causes mayhem, deathshroud and Forge Lord go for the throat and the Grave Wardens choose an objective and hold the hell out of it/ hunt AV with chain Fists.

Anvillus pods meanwhile make a nuisance of themselves.

+++ DARK DORFS (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1160pts) ++

+ HQ (155pts) +

Legion Centurion (155pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chem-munitions, Cyber-familiar, Rad Grenades, Thunderhammer]

····Consul [Forge Lord]

+ Elites (290pts) +

Deathshroud Terminator Squad (290pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 4x Deathshroud Terminators, Melta Bombs]

+ Heavy Support (715pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (310pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, 2x Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator]

····Chem-master [Combi-weapon, Deathshroud Power Scythe]

····Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Grav-flux Bombard, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [XIV: Death Guard]

++ Imperialis Militia and Cults Army List (Allied Detachment) (790pts) ++

+ HQ (175pts) +

Force Commander (175pts) [Needle pistol, Power Armour]

+ Elites (245pts) +

Auxilia Ogryn Brute Squad (205pts) [Carapace Armour, 3x Ogryn Brutes, 3x Power Weapon]

Imperialis Auxilia Medicae Detachment (40pts) [3x Medicae Orderly]

+ Troops (370pts) +

++ Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List (Allied Detachment) (550pts) ++

+ HQ (75pts) +

Magos Dominus (75pts)

+ Troops (175pts) +

Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple (175pts) [Enhanced Targeting Array, Paragon of Metal]

····Castellax class Battle-automata [Darkfire Cannon]

+ Heavy Support (300pts) +

Thanatar Class Siege-automata Maniple (300pts) [Enhanced Targeting Array, Paragon of Metal, Thanatar Class Siege-automata]

+ Legion +

Legio Cybernetica

Let's see ...

First off, you only have 3 scoring units in a list of 2.500 pts.

Two of said units are blobs of 21 or so models, quite immobile without a transport.

Personally, I wouldn't be content with that at all.

1.)  Death Guard

- Don't put the Forgelord in the Deathshroud, you'll deny them their ability to sweep advance. Otherwise, good loadout on the lad.

- Too bad 'Dark Compliance' forces you to have a centurion / consul in there, because a second (scoring) unit of Deathshrouds (which can be a HQ choice) would go a long way.

- Why the Scythe on the Chem-Master ?

2.)  Militia (the Squats in your case)

- Why the Needle Pistol on the Force Commander ? The guy's rocking a 3+/5++, that's quite okay, but given how expensive he allready is due to your two provenances (110 pts. in provenances alone), I'd invest in a melee weapon just in case he finds himself in a backfield skirmish (since that's where you wanted to keep him, reffering to your above deployment tactics).

- 3 Ogryns won't go nowhere as a dedicated counter-assault unit. 

They're essentially DoA, even with T6, likely to get sweeped and they're only LD 6.

Size them up a little, 5 models or so and then attach a melee-oriented and properly equipped LD 8 Force Commander to them.

- Medicae Orderlies are okay.

- Grenadiers: So, you've got 2 blobs (which qualify as 2 of your 3 scoring units) of 20(+1) pseudo-marines with T4 and a 3+ and 30'' STR 4 rapid fire.

Why the Blast Pistols ? Sergeants can get a much more useful power weapon for a PREMIUM 5 pts.

My take on this would be: Keep one of the big blobs and stick them behind an Aegis Line (fortification slot). They can sit on a backfield objective and use their 30'' guns.

Then take two units of 10 each in Metal Boxes, with STR 5 Laslocks and a sergeant w. power axe & melta bombs.

This would up your total count of scoring units to 4 and make some of them a lot more mobile.

3.)  Legio Cybernetica

- Why 'Legio Cybernetica' ?  Only to make that lone Castellax a troop choice it seems ?

- 550 pts. invested in 3 models, none of which are scoring ?

- What do you do with the Dominus

- Personally, I think you could do much better with your allied detachment, either going cheapass on the troop slot and maxing out the HQ and the Heavy Support choice.

Or you go for another deep striking scoring unit in the form of Thallax (can still bring the Thanatar in terms of points).

Or, Thanatar plus a unit of Tech-Priest Auxilia w. Plasma Fusil Servo-Automata joined by a Magos Macrotek.

Just some food for thoughts.

3 Scoring units at 2500 is fine - it's not 40k, after all. But mobility may be a problem. 20 Grenadiers with S4 lasrifles + 2x10 in Rhinos with S5 laslocks will be very nice. Having an Aegis Defence Line will open up a Comms Relay too, which will help secure that 3rd Drop Pod on the board on Turn 2.

Unknown Legionnaire's point about the Forge Lord and Deathshroud is apt - put him in Tartaros and he'll still be rocking a 4++. But I think he has forgotten about the 3 HQ and 4 Elite slots in 30k, and you have 1 of each free still.

I disagree about your Force Commander - having a power weapon won't help in the slightest. If he ends up in combat, he's probably dead, but having an iron halo and Cyber-familiar (for a 3++) might keep him alive. Also, don't pay for power armour, as carapace will be a 3+ with your provenance.

The Ogryns should 'go hard or go home' - 6 of them, in an Assault Vehicle, with carapace armour (3+) and power axes. Your Forge Lord would be nice in that unit actually, as his rad grenades will make the Ogryns ID MEQs with said axes. :)

Legio Cybernetica Battle Cohort requires units of 2+ Castellax as compulsory Troops. And you can't have more than 1 Paragon of Metal either. But Legion Cybernetica is still awesome!

Hopefully a bit of positive criticism for you Charlo! ;)

I prefer one scoring unit per block of 500 pts.

Works like a charm.

4 units in games of 2.000 points and over are quite mandatory in my book (and metagame), but that's subject to personal experience of course.

Force Commander needs that 3++ as well as a weapon. Note I didn't say power weapon, but just melee weapon. I'd go for a Power Fist and Digi Lasers in his case though. If we start to spend the points to reach that 3++, we might as well give him a punch.

Fantastic stuff guys! Very insightful!

I'm really hoping I can get this theme to work :)

As for both of your comments:

Forge Lord: Great Point on sweeping - I agree about putting him with the Ogryns... I suppose a Spartan would be the best bet, but I'd probably have to eliminate the Ad Mech portion of my list to get that in.

Consul: Yeah, another DS squad would've been awesome! Only alternative I can think of is a Chaplain to go with a Levvy squad. A 50 man, T4, 5+, FNP Fearless Levvy Squad. Heh. I'd use Dwarf Miners or warriors :D

Chem Master: Scythe gives the squad some AP2 at "initiative". It may be a little lop-sided with the fists/ chain fists but it will look awesome too!

Force Commander: I'm in two minds about this guy. On the one hand I could deck him out with a cyber/ Halo for a 3++, a power fist and a nice pistol - but for what? For him to maybe get in combat. He's a tax that makes my Grenediers awesome really, and I'd rather invest the points decking him out into other more powerful units I think. He'll simply sit with the gun line and reinforce it with some leadership and maybe a power weapon.

Ogryns: I may well have to invest in these and make them premier assault units. They're going to be my medium-threat level hunters. With a Forge lord they will probably give most things a good go for sure.

Medicae: may just end up having all of these in the big blob as I can't fit them in Rhinos...

Grenediers: Fantastic Idea and I have some old Rhino's hoarded away that will be perfect for this! Throwing around that S5 Firepower like Tau on a resistant body will be awesome. Do you think some pintle weapons would be good? Also, Blast pistols are because the Dwarf Iron Drake kit comes with two awesome pistols that would represent them perfectly :')

Scoring Units: From what I understand Grave Wardens now score too, so more scoring!

Mechanocum: Mainly wanted these guys for the triple army bonus and fun. I'd also model them as Squats (because of thier Zany Tech) and thier cool war machines. I think Cybernetica may be the wrong path though... Thrallax may give me what I need in more deep strike with some extra firepower too.

Other possible inclusions:

Damocles: Help out deep striking and Thrallax if I go with them? Plus big template of fun.

Tech Priest Auxillia: Lots of special weapons from either list and can boost up the firepower.

Leman Russes: I'm hesitant but they seem not bad for what they do

Anything else Mechanicum: I won't lie, a lot of the book is beyond me as i've not read it much! Any tips or builds appreciated :)

I'll try and get a V2 up of the list soon.

Would Calas Typhon count as the Preator or Consul for the purposes of the rite?

I'm thinking of his denial trait would be very poweful. Plus a little bit of psychic power support. And another fun bombardment.

Yeah, I had heard that Grav Wardens picked up Implacable Advance too. They can also Overwatch with their Death Clouds, despite being in Cataphractii! :)

Typhon is a funny one. Technically, he isn't a Praetor, Centurion or Consul so doesn't count. But he outranks everyone, so if you run it by people it would very likely be acceptable. :)

As for Mechanicum advice, there's plenty of it to go round. If you can, listen to the Eye of Horus Podcast specials, 8 - Demystifying the Mechanicum, and 40 - Demystifying the Mechanicum Redux. Well worth it. Aside from that, decide if you want a thematic Allied force or simply a way to get some solid firepower into the army.

Yeah, the changes to Grave Wardens made them everything I wanted them to be, and more! They will god Damn hold an objective!

I'll avoid Typhon for now, but he's a maybe.

I've actually listened to both of those Ad Mech episodes a could of times each! I love the EoH pod.

I think it is with a heavy heart that I drop the Ogryns from my initial list. With them and a transport (Spartan only choice, or a Kharybdis I guess?) it's at least 600 points. I think in most comps it would be them or the Leviathan.

I also removed the medics, as they would just all be sat with the 20man Grenadier squad and just serve as a 40 point FNP buffer. Maybe worth it, maybe not.

For a little over 600 points I can get a chunky Magos Prime Myrmidax with twin graviton guns (or perhaps photon thrusters) backed up by a minimum squad of sectors with 6 Graviton guns between them. They ride in a Triaros and hunt the nastiest AV the enemy have or bog down enemy assault units in dangerous terrain, which, my DG units don't really care about!

Ten thralls add a unit to sit back and hold an objective for 35pts and go to ground.

I've got 45 points left to play around with. This turns into 75 if I go with grav instead of photon on the Magos but I think I quite like the 4 precision ap2 shots on this absolute monster.

Thoughts?

Updated list:

+++ DG TECH DORFS (2455pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1150pts) ++

+ HQ (150pts) +

Legion Centurion (150pts) [Cyber-familiar, Deathshroud Power Scythe, Rad Grenades, Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]

····Consul [Forge Lord]

+ Elites (290pts) +

+ Heavy Support (710pts) +

Grave Warden Terminator Squad (305pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Chainfist, 4x Grave Warden Terminator]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XIV: Death Guard]

++ Imperialis Militia and Cults Army List (Allied Detachment) (640pts) ++

+ HQ (195pts) +

Force Commander (195pts) [Cyber-familiar, Iron Halo, Power Weapon]

+ Troops (445pts) +

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad (155pts) [Advanced Weapons, 17x Grenadiers, Lascarbines, 2x Special Weapons Grenadier with Rotor Cannon]

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad (145pts) [Advanced Weapons, 9x Grenadiers, Laslocks, Rhino Armoured Carrier]

····Grenadier Sergeant [Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

Imperialis Militia Grenadier Squad (145pts) [Advanced Weapons, 9x Grenadiers, Laslocks, Rhino Armoured Carrier]

····Grenadier Sergeant [Melta Bombs, Power Weapon]

++ Mechanicum: Taghmata Army List (Allied Detachment) (665pts) ++

+ HQ (280pts) +

Magos Prime (280pts) [Abeyant, Archmagos Prime, Cyber-familiar, Machinator Array, Myrmidax, 2x Photon Thruster]

+ Elites (350pts) +

Myrmidon Secutors (350pts)

····Myrmidon Lord [2x Graviton Gun]

····Myrmidon Secutor [2x Graviton Gun]

····Myrmidon Secutor [2x Graviton Gun]

····Triaros Armoured Conveyor [Extra Armour]

+ Troops (35pts) +

Adsecularis Covenant (35pts) [10x Tech-thrall]

Archived