2000 Ultramarines

Kaiser_von_Hugal

Primarch Guilliman
5x Suzerain, 1 with a thunderhammer: all riding in a Land Raider Phobos with Armored Ceramite

Vigilator in scout armor
10x Tactical Support Squad with Volkite Calivers, SGT with AA, melta bombs: this unit infiltrates and targets backfield units

2 10x tactical squads with Rhinos, SGT with AA, melta bombs and combi-plasma: rhinos light up units for the sqds to follow up on

2x Contemptor Mortis with dual Kheres Assault Cannons. Tank hunters thanks to the Primarch, and rending

This gives me 4 troops choices, though they are not too sturdy. Im concerned about opposing Deathstars and Air support. I have the Contemptors, are the Sicaran's and Dereado's so much better?

I do want to make one more purchase (a dreadnought Drop Pod, or Dread Claw or suggestions welcome). Id like to drop in a dual-chainfist dual graviton gun Contemptor to handle Scorpius and other backfield problems.

Deredeos and sicarans are definitely worth their points. If you take off the melta bombs from the support squad, you can fit in 2 stock deredeos in lieu of the contemptor-mortis.

I'd look into a Deredeo instead of a Mortis. You also lack ways of dealing with armour at range. Enemy mech elements can de-mech you and block infiltration with Augury Scanner. Thus you will be stranded. One solid long-ranged element will help you a lot. This is another area where the Deredeo is a solid pick. Just some food for thought ;)

Thanks for the replies!   I do like the Deredeo alot and dont dispute its a great piece of kit.   Maybe Im not building to the UM's strength?   The army as posted can fight a running gun fight (assuming I dont get my transports shot out from under me).  With all the models moving in support of each other. The Deredeo would be solitary and lonely (unsupported bit).   Im trying to sort out if the Mortis Contemptors are truly sub-standard.

Ok, Im revising the list.  Trying to get it locked in before painting begins.

Primarch Guilliman

8x Veterans (tank hunters) Meltabombs, SGT with AA  all riding in a Dreadclaw Drop Pod

2 10x tactical squads with Rhinos, SGT with AA, melta bombs

2x Dreadnoughts with DCCW, Chainfist and 2x Graviton guns, both in Dreadnought Drop Pods (Guilliman makes them scoring with Implacable Advance).

3x Thudd guns with Sunder rounds

1x Dereado with missiles

Archived