Deathwing "Decurion"

L30n1d4s

So, now that different Codex: Space Marine chapters (i.e. White Scars and Raven Guard) and even different Space Wolf Great Companies (i.e. Iron Wolves, Blackmanes, Champions of Fenris, etc.) all get their own version of their respective codex's "Decurion," what about the Sons of the Lion?

Obviously, Dark Angels already have the Lion's Blade Strike Force, so that is a good starting place. I would love to see alternate DA "Decurion" Core options (and maybe even some new unique Auxiliary formations) for the different parts of the Chapter and even Successor Chapters:

-Deathwing

-Ravenwing

-Consecrators

-Angels of Absolution

-Angels of Redemption

-Angels of Vengeance

Of these, the one I would most like to see (and the one that needs the most "help" in terms of gameplay) is Deathwing. One of the iconic factions in all of 40K, and right now it is basically impossible to (legally, without going Unbound) run a pure DW army, not to mention tactically suicidal, even if you could.

Here is my idea for a Deathwing "Decurion" that could be part of a future campaign book and/or expanded DA Codex:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

DEATHWING SALVATION FORCE

-Core (1-2)

-HQ (0-3)

-Auxiliary (1-5)

***Preferred Enemy (Chaos Space Marines)

***Rites of Redemption -- All non-vehicle units in this detachment may use each of the following Rites once per game (same Rite is chosen for all units in the detachment at the beginning of the friendly turn; may only use one Rite of Redemption per turn)

(1) Rite of Devastation -- All non-vehicle units in this detachment may shoot twice (may shoot at different targets) for one turn

(2) Rite of Fortitude -- Enemy units must re-roll successful to Wound rolls against units from this detachment for one turn

(3) Rite of Retribution -- All non-vehicle units in this detachment double their attacks characteristics for one turn

CORE

1) Deathwing Redemption Force -- 1 Company Master/Interrogator-Chaplain in TDA, 2-4 DW Terminator Squads, 0-1 DW Command Squads, 0-1 DW Knights

***May run/shoot or shoot/run on the turn they Deep Strike

***Units in this formation must choose to automatically come in Turn 1 or Turn 2. They must all come in on the same turn.

HQ

1) Inner Circle -- (as per C: DA, but can only take Belial or a Company Master/Librarian in TDA)

2) Seekers of the Lost -- 2-4 Interrogator-Chaplains in TDA

***All enemy units within 12" of units from this formation have -1Ld (-2 Ld if they are from Codex: CSM)

***All friendly Dark Angel units within 6" of units from this formation gain Preferred Enemy USR

AUXILIARY

1) Deathwing Ancients -- 1-3 Venerable Dreadnoughts (must take Dreadnought Drop Pods)

***Venerable Dreads may charge after disembarking from their Drop Pods, but can only charge D6"

***Hatred USR

2) Knights of the Inner Circle -- 0-1 Belial, 1-2 squads of DW Knights 

***Units from this Formation may use the Rite of Fortitude during the course of the game. If they are part of the Deathwing Salvation Force detachment, this is in addition to the Rites of Redemption normally allowed (meaning they will be able to use the Rite of Fortitude twice during the course of a game)

***Models in this formation all make Precision Strikes on a 5+, instead of the normal 6+, to Hit

3) Chariots of Vengeance -- 1-3 Land Raiders/Land Raider Crusaders/Land Raider Redeemers

***All vehicles in this formation gain the Venerable rule (as per Venerable Dreadnought entries)

***Any friendly DW units attempting to Deep Strike within 12" of a vehicle from this formation will not scatter

4) Relic Engines of Caliban -- 1 Spartan Assault Tank, Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought, or Leviathan Pattern Dreadnought

5) Chaos Bane Strike Wing -- 1 Storm Eagle Gunship or Fire Raptor Gunship

RELICS

1 - Bane of Repentance -- MCed Thunder Hammer that strikes at full Initiative on the charge

2 - The Lion's Shield  -- Storm Shield that allows user to re-roll one failed invulnerable save per phase

3 - Armor of Vengeance -- Terminator Armor which grants user FNP and +1W

4 - Fury of Caliban -- 24" Range, S6 AP4 Assault 6, Rending, Shred

5 - Book of the Fallen -- (Interrogator-Chaplain only) Once per game, may be used. All enemy units within 12" lose -D3 to their WS/BS for the rest of the turn (it is always -3 WS/BS if they are from Codex: Chaos Space Marines)

6 - Deathwing Company Banner -- All friendly units with the Deathwing Rule within 12" gain +1A

WL TRAITS

1 - WL and his unit may charge after Deep Striking

2 - WL has Shred for all his shooting and close combat attacks

3 - All models with Deathwing rule in the WL's detachment gain Adamantium Will 

4 - WL and his unit may use Rite of Devastation an additional time during the game

5 - WL and his unit may use Rite of Fortitude an additional time during the game

6 - WL and his unit may use Rite of Retribution an additional time during the game

and even different Space Wolf Great Companies (i.e. Iron Wolves, Blackmanes, Champions of Fenris, etc.) all get their own version of their respective codex's "Decurion," what about the Sons of the Lion?

??

that is not true ^^

they got one formation for some of the great companies yeah, but not great company specific decurions ...

Good point ;) ... Well, they still at least get different versions of the Great Companies and the other Space Marine Chapters have so far gotten legitimately unique "Decurions" of their own.

You can field 3 armies out of the DA codex, I don't think we need more decurion style things. People need to accept our codex as it is and work with it. Granted the DW is pretty restrictive it is what it is and I don't see it changing. To me, our army is meant to include pieces of 2 or 3 of the elements.

You are probably right, but I still think that Deathwing in particular could use some additional support, whether through a Campaign Book (like Raven Guard and White Scars got in Kauyon) or even an "expanded" version of the codex (like Space Wolves got with the "Wulfen Edition").

Even if the Dark Angels did not get any new Decurion (i.e. they still just have the Lion's Blade), having some alternate "Core" options besides the Battle Demi- Company would be great... at this point, Space Wolves have 7 different "Core" options and Space Marines have 4 different "Core" options.

You can play pure Deathwing. You just lose at the end of the first turn unless you throw in at least one drop podded Deathwing (Venerable) Dreadnought.

plus isn't this just another version of another thread topic brought in about "How I wish the Deathwing work"?

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/317335-the-dw-venting-thread/

Archived