Building a starting Blood Angel army with $300?

Helias_Tancred

This is what I would get.

Codex - $45

Betrayal at Calth - $140

Sanguine Strike Company - $155

BA Upgrade Sprue - $15

$355

I get it, it's over the budget. Maybe trim it down by not doing the upgrade sprue? Get the codex as an ebook? Without Codex it's only $10 over budget.

That's

30 tacticals with 1/3 getting shoulder pads, sergeants getting swords and such 

10 terminators (Calth and BA Assault)

a captain in terminator armor (praetor),

a librarian in terminator armor

Chaplain/HQ/ or Priest with upgrade chalice

Libby/Death Co/Furioso Dreadnought BA kit

Contemptor who could be a Furioso Dreadnought

Stormraven

Alternatively, buying only single kits and keeping in the budget strictly, I'd go for the following:

$40 - 1x BA Tacticals

$30 - 1x Standard Tacticals (Combine with BA Tactical kit to get good mix)

$60 - 2x Death Company (cheaper than assault squads, same number of bodies, lots of extra flavor bits)

$33 - 1x Sanguinary Guard (HQ conversions, more assault squads, or as they are)

$42 - 1x Blood Angels Dread

$45 - 1x Codex

$50 - 1x HQ choice of some kind + upgrade pack

OR terminators of some kind

Neither will be super competitive, but both are full of blood angel stuff and good values.

Edit: for formatting, prices

With the upgrade pack having torsos, heads, and a grail/cup in it (or two of them!) you can make a good corbulo, Mephiston, Sanguinor, and Astaroth as well. Then just use them as their generic counterparts of priest, librarian, chaplain... and whatever the Sanguinor is supposed to be. Captain? lol.

Thanks for all the advice brothers.

When I first started WH40k I ran out and bought around 3k of Blood Angels. To make a long story short I also fell in love with the Crimson Fists from reading Rynn's World and their slew of novellas. So I sold off most of my BA and bought standard Space Marine stuff and today I'm sitting on almost 5k of Crimson Fists. But I've always missed my first love, my first army, my first heroes. I still love the Crimson Fists (who doesn't?- great chapter with cool story) but I'm going to build a Blood Angel army too. I know in terms of power my Crimson Fists being codex marines have access to some great formations right now, updated stat lines for dreadnoughts, scouts, etc and access to some units that Blood Angels lack .. but that's okay. I know the strengths of the Blood Angels, I plan to use the heck out of it, and I love their story and who they are. I will enjoy playing them again. 

I started out wanting to do three allied detachments of the three other chapters I have love for- Blood Angels, Raven Guard, and Black Templars. For Blood Angels my go-to allied detachment will be a 10 man DC jump pack squad, and a 10 man tactical flamer squad. Will probably get Astorath to lead my DC and the force overall. But I realized I wanted more. I wanted to wield another Blood Angel army. So here I am.

My first purchase was Captain Karlaen, some paints, and an upgrade pack. My second purchase was the Sanguine Strike Company off of Amazon. I will follow it up with more tactical squads, sanguinary guard, death company, and Dante. Then in another few weeks comes 2 stormravens, 3 pods, and 10 jump pack assault marines. It will be glorious!

Bought a tactical box off of Amazon too along with the Sanguine Strike Company today. My goal is 3 stormravens and 3 tactical squads because I want to run the formation. Also got out of the way my Librarian in terminator armor, my Furioso dreadnought, and my heavy hitters- an assault terminator squad. Captain Karlaen will run with them.

Picked up the upgrade kit and with spare bits also built a 5 man plasma cannon devastator squad and a 5 man missile launcher devastator squad.

With the capacity of 12 on the Stormravens, you can put your librarian in one of the stormravens with the 3 tactical squads, and then everyone has a ride. 

Sounds like good progress!

Great idea! 

Also picked up Dante and Astorath at a local store that had a going out of business sale. Astorath will run with 10 jp death company. Dante will run with 10 sanguinary guard. I'm also going to get a Sanguinary priest, stick a jump pack on him, and he will run with Dante and the 10 sanguinary guard.

Still need- 2 more stormravens, 2 more tactical squads, 10 death company, 10 sanguinary guard, sanguinary priest, 5 terminators (regular), 1 Baal predator, 3 drop pods, and 3 rhinos/razorbacks and then I will have a nice army. I plan on having this by mid-April.

Dante will run with 10 sanguinary guard. I'm also going to get a Sanguinary priest, stick a jump pack on him, and he will run with Dante and the 10 sanguinary guard.

That is one expensive combination (550 without upgrades), and still only Dante has an invulnerable save, and no one has FNP. You might want to take fewer SG and add a Librarian (5++ or other goodies) and/or Sanguinary Priest (WS5 SG, WS 6 Librarian/SP, WS 7 Dante, FNP) instead. 11 models also have a huge footprint when they deep strike. The ICs can take other goodies that would benefit the group (Valour's Edge, Angel's Wings).

[Edit]5 SG, Dante, Sanguinary Priest and Librarian with jump packs are 540 without upgrades[/Edt]

BTW there is an edit button at the bottom of your posts. If you forgot to write something you could add it with that button.

Thank you Quixis. I was thinking about what you suggested. 5 SG+Dante+SP is my little Death Star. Add 10 SG and its my big Death Star for larger point games. My normal games are 1500-2k, you are right, under those circumstances the smaller unit makes better sense.

For Librarians I have the one in terminator armor that came with my Sanguine Strike Company boxed set.

By now I'm sure you'll have enough bitz lying around to build your own librarian with jump pack as well, to go with the death star. :)

If you can get your hands on a grey knights halberd, they make awesome force weapons for librarians, really makes them stick out!

By now I'm sure you'll have enough bitz lying around to build your own librarian with jump pack as well, to go with the death star. smile.png

If you can get your hands on a grey knights halberd, they make awesome force weapons for librarians, really makes them stick out!

And if you cannot find a psychic hood, make one yourself with the pauldron pattern psychic hood (obviously not my idea but it is ridiculously easy).

Usually the legs are the problem. You just don't get enough of them.

Archived