Sanguinius Depiction by FW

Arkangilos

So having a conversation with a friend, this picture by Forgeworld came up:

med_gallery_79873_10492_210785.jpg

Some things I noticed that were awesome: his shield, his pose, and his short hair.

Now, I know it is a stylized painting on a land raider, but it is still an in universe painting of Sanguinius. So the question is, "why would you purposefully change the length of his hair in a painting like this."

Here is what I hope! I hope they pose him just like that, give him short hair, and give him a shield.

Also, I think this is the best "artwork" he has had yet.

What do you think?

Not liking it, really. I'm ususally a sucker for artwork of primarchs, but in that picture he looks like a roman warrior, which isn't quite the image that's been painted of Sanguinius since, well, the beginning really. Why would he need a shield, though? Nothing in what we know about his progress as a primarch would suggest that his fighting style includes a shield, do we?(please help me out here if I'm wrong).

Paint him blue and you're good to go. Basically he's a personified Ultra Marine minus the wings in that image. Not exactly angelic.

Snorri

Not liking it, really. I'm ususally a sucker for artwork of primarchs, but in that picture he looks like a roman warrior, which isn't quite the image that's been painted of Sanguinius since, well, the beginning really. Why would he need a shield, though? Nothing in what we know about his progress as a primarch would suggest that his fighting style includes a shield, do we?(please help me out here if I'm wrong).

Paint him blue and you're good to go. Basically he's a personified Ultra Marine minus the wings in that image. Not exactly angelic.

Snorri

He looks just like historic depictions of Angels... Just google St. Michael and Archangel Michael.

I don't know guys. Look at the depictions of him on their chapter banners, look at him in the original art of him (the oooold stuff), and look at how Angels looked in paintings. They all match up.

Snorri

He looks just like historic depictions of Angels... Just google St. Michael and Archangel Michael.

I'm not exactly a fan of historic paintings of angels, but that's another topic. Sanguinius is a man-angel being, heavy influenced by renaissance depictions of angels and such beings. He's not supposed to look like depictions of winged men in the sistine chapel or wherever you might paint something like that on your wall/ceiling. It's a science-fiction character. Give some room for deviation from the "original" look :)

Snorri

Proof that this painting represents Sanguinius? - None.

Well to be fair ....

"... blabla ... artisan chapter serfs ..... sole task is to render glory to the BA Primarch, the Angel Sanguinius."

FW, HH book VI, Retribution, page 100

Also, I'm not saying the armor is going to be the same, I just prefer the short hair, like the shield, and like the pose.

Like I said, it is obviously stylized. But I like the general concept behind it.

As to the shield thing, he wasn't exactly depicted with a spear before, but they still threw that in.

Look...there is NO bloody way that FW is going to make a Sanguinius with short hair.

He IS the hair.

Edit:

The only thing that worries me is that FW is going to give him long Bride of Frankenstein hair as they did to Fulgrim and Corax.

Sanguinius lived for centuries, it's not beyond the realms of possibility he had a hair cut at some point. More to the point, his artistic character was matched only by Fulgrim, so it's a fair bet his style changed pretty often. As for the weapons, he's a Primarch. The Primarchs we've met in the books are established as having mastered any number of fighting styles.

Sanguinius lived for centuries, it's not beyond the realms of possibility he had a hair cut at some point. More to the point, his artistic character was matched only by Fulgrim, so it's a fair bet his style changed pretty often. As for the weapons, he's a Primarch. The Primarchs we've met in the books are established as having mastered any number of fighting styles.

I agree. This sounds quite a fair and reasoned approach to the matter. Personally, I quite like his 'classical' depiction.

It's not Sanguinius - first and the  most- he never wears the mask, and more  to  that - other  warriors wear mask of sanguinius  to represent him. Like The  Sanguinor  the exemplar  of host and his heralds - there is a  short story about  choosing  the very first Sanguinor from Sanguinary guard members- and  the part of  it - wearing mask  of  the  host which melts into face.

Second - brown wings - it was stated alot that his wing are pure white - colouring wings into  brown  is something beyond Sanguinius.

And third - shield? Sanguinius with shield? His shield  is precognition - forseeing future  is the best shield. And best defence - avoiding enemy strikes and  any harm at all.

So there  is additional  info about  that artworks - it's done to represent civilians of conquered  world the might of their father,   his glory  and blah-blah - so it don't   have to  be  the  exact  depiction of primarch.

How do you know he doesn't wear a mask?

And as I've shown with two other official in universe depictions, it isn't the only piece of art that depicts him that ways (short hair).

But if we want to get into, "well he wasn't depicted in the books" let us not forget he had black hair in a couple of them.

Archived