Sanguinius Depiction by FW

Arkangilos

How do you know he doesn't wear a mask?

And as I've shown with two other official in universe depictions, it isn't the only piece of art that depicts him that ways (short hair).

But if we want to get into, "well he wasn't depicted in the books" let us not forget he had black hair in a couple of them.

Ok, not trying to hassle you, but now youre just grasping at straws.

Its not Sanguinius.

/thread

He had black hair in one of them and since then it's been suggested that it was part of his mourning atire.

The shield doesn't seem to really fit anything we've seen about his fighting style, but as noted he no doubt knows how to fight effectively with a wide variety of weapons.

His hair is depicted as being medium length (enough to show it's length at the back even when head on) and curly in a lot of the old banners, but not short short. However again I'm sure he's had a few haircuts in his day.

The art might be sanguinius, especially based on the description in retribution for that tank. However I'd suggest it is a very very stylised one, there are discrepancies (such as the wings being the wrong colour).

I suspect any model we get will be armed and armoured for war in war plate, as such it'll probably have more in common with the collected visions and novel cover artwork.

All in all, no need to get tetchy, we will get what we get. And let's face it if you've been a blood angels fan for any length of time, you'll probably get it.

To those of you who are so unflinchingly sure that the depiction is not Sanguinius - who exactly do you suppose it's meant to be? Who else do you know in the lore that has wings and uses BA iconography? Granted, the passage Atia mentions does not explicitly state that this is actually Sanguinius, it does return us to our original question - who else could it be? 

I'm inclined to think it's Sanguinius at one point in the GC or another. It's not a lore-breaker that this is him. Hair can grow. It can also be dyed. He does not have to be armed the same way in every depiction. Perhaps the artist is using license. Perhaps not.   

I personnally think that Sanguinius depiction may change with the natural evolution of the 30k Blood Angels fluff. There are still lot of think to work and re-work on the Blood Angels 30k/40k fluffs parts, so some depictions/descriptions may evolve through time to comes.

Foremost, as said before, Sanguinius may not always had "long" hair, he may have shortened them on somes occassions, remember that he is very close to Fulgrim in both the breathless raw beauty and the artistic passions.

And, to push a little more on the subject, it wouldn't surprise me if when allowing his Rage to express Sanguinius's hair became grey/white and his wings darkened, plus with a power halo of warp power upon his head.

But, in the end, only the official miniature of Sanguinius will prevail, and even with this, i think that the Hair color and Wings color may be object for controversy^^.

I personnally think that Sanguinius depiction may change with the natural evolution of the 30k Blood Angels fluff. There are still lot of think to work and re-work on the Blood Angels 30k/40k fluffs parts, so some depictions/descriptions may evolve through time to comes.

Foremost, as said before, Sanguinius may not always had "long" hair, he may have shortened them on somes occassions, remember that he is very close to Fulgrim in both the breathless raw beauty and the artistic passions.

And, to push a little more on the subject, it wouldn't surprise me if when allowing his Rage to express Sanguinius's hair became grey/white and his wings darkened, plus with a power halo of warp power upon his head.

But, in the end, only the official miniature of Sanguinius will prevail, and even with this, i think that the Hair color and Wings color may be object for controversy^^.

Well said. And to be honest i would challenge brethren to make there sanguinius different. Convert him to have the weapon and hair style you expect.

Personally i might do him with black hair as my own BA chapter is slightly darker and more reserved than the BA.

Well said. And to be honest i would challenge brethren to make there sanguinius different. Convert him to have the weapon and hair style you expect.

Personally i might do him with black hair as my own BA chapter is slightly darker and more reserved than the BA.

Personnally, i dream of a Terra Rage-Fuelled Sanguinius with very dark gold (or pale silver/gold) armour, pale white wings, silver hair the whole with a gradiate of white/grey/black to represent the halo of power unlock by the Rage that transform Sanguinius Aspect. Also, i clearly things that the Rage-fuelled Sanguinius may have found very good bodyguards with the Blood Angels 5th Company (Flesh Tearers) when fighting at the imperial palace gate....."You shall not enter, I bar the way. I am the walls, I am the tower. I am the bastion, the moat. I am the ward, I am the keep! I am the gate. I am the gatekeeper. This way is shut." (Very adapted quote for a Gates of Terra battle, Crimson Castellans chapter origin.)

Once think is certains, the less gold i should have to paint, the happier i will be^^. (I hate gold, preffering the Silver purity under the Moon). =)

Personnally, i dream of a Terra Rage-Fuelled Sanguinius with very dark gold (or pale silver/gold) armour, pale white wings, silver hair the whole with a gradiate of white/grey/black to represent the halo of power unlock by the Rage that transform Sanguinius Aspect. Also, i clearly things that the Rage-fuelled Sanguinius may have found very good bodyguards with the Blood Angels 5th Company (Flesh Tearers) when fighting at the imperial palace gate....."You shall not enter, I bar the way. I am the walls, I am the tower. I am the bastion, the moat. I am the ward, I am the keep! I am the gate. I am the gatekeeper. This way is shut." (Very adapted quote for a Gates of Terra battle, Crimson Castellans chapter origin.)

Once think is certains, the less gold i should have to paint, the happier i will be^^. (I hate gold, preffering the Silver purity under the Moon). =)

Awesome idea!

To those of you who are so unflinchingly sure that the depiction is not Sanguinius - who exactly do you suppose it's meant to be? Who else do you know in the lore that has wings and uses BA iconography? Granted, the passage Atia mentions does not explicitly state that this is actually Sanguinius, it does return us to our original question - who else could it be? 

So I would ask the same thing - there is so much Un-Sanguinius details that i want to ask - why have you decided it's sanguinius himself?

Wings?  The Sanguinor is the doppelganger specialy made to represent him while absent - that's why mask and wings.

When you depicting some known character you should have some common traits and features. Here I see the least of them.

I have nothing against changes  - but i don't belive in changes that happened all at once.

And personally - I can  make a bet that his model will not be like that at all.

So I would ask the same thing - there is so much Un-Sanguinius details that i want to ask - why have you decided it's sanguinius himself?

Wings?  The Sanguinor is the doppelganger specialy made to represent him while absent - that's why mask and wings.

When you depicting some known character you should have some common traits and features. Here I see the least of them.

I have nothing against changes  - but i don't belive in changes that happened all at once.

And personally - I can  make a bet that his model will not be like that at all.

I doubt it's supposed to be the Sanguinor - there is no jet pack intake present. However, let's look at your assertion - "[...]there is so much Un-Sanguinius details[...]". Is there really? Like what? Brown wings? A mask? There is literally nothing of that picture that would explicitly point to him not being Sanguinius, and even then it could merely be a quirk of the artist. Has he seen Sanguinius before? Maybe. Maybe not.   

Most depictions give him long hair. That's fine. That's fair enough. Does this depiction have to have long hair to be Sanguinius? No. Does he have to be barefaced to be Sanguinius? No. Does he have to armed in a certain way to be Sanguinius? No.

When I say that I think it's supposed to be Sanguinius, I do not mean that it is without a shadow of doubt the way he is supposed to look. This is an artists rendition. Artists take liberties with their creations. Maybe it's a recreation of him in the early crusade. Who knows? On the flipside - could it be someone else? It's possible, but then who else has wings growing out of their back amongst the IXth Legion? Is it someone we will be told about in the future? Until then, no-one else fits the bill.

Wings? The Sanguinor is the doppelganger specialy made to represent him while absent - that's why mask and wings.

I have nothing against changes - but i don't belive in changes that happened all at once.

And personally - I can make a bet that his model will not be like that at all.

I doubt it's supposed to be the Sanguinor - there is no jet pack intake present. However, let's look at your assertion - "[...]there is so much Un-Sanguinius details[...]". Is there really? Like what? Brown wings? A mask? There is literally nothing of that picture that would explicitly point to him not being Sanguinius, and even then it could merely be a quirk of the artist. Has he seen Sanguinius before? Maybe. Maybe not.

Most depictions give him long hair. That's fine. That's fair enough. Does this depiction have to have long hair to be Sanguinius? No. Does he have to be barefaced to be Sanguinius? No. Does he have to armed in a certain way to be Sanguinius? No.

When I say that I think it's supposed to be Sanguinius, I do not mean that it is without a shadow of doubt the way he is supposed to look. This is an artists rendition. Artists take liberties with their creations. Maybe it's a recreation of him in the early crusade. Who knows? On the flipside - could it be someone else? It's possible, but then who else has wings growing out of their back amongst the IXth Legion? Is it someone we will be told about in the future? Until then, no-one else fits the bill.

The Sanguinior? .... .... wallbash.gif

You know the tank was painted prior to Signus Prime ... there is no Sanguinior yet ... pinch.gif

You know the tank was painted prior to Signus Prime ... there is no Sanguinior yet ... pinch.gif

Sanguinius saw it in the future, said "Huh, I'm not sure what that is, and it seemed like no one else did, but it looked pretty. Fetch me the paint servitors!" and voila.

Your move, Ms. Nitpick

:P

The Sanguinior? .... .... wallbash.gif

So they invented the whole complicated ceremony just in time of signus and imperium secundus (which started right after signus)?

Like - hey guys, as we have nothing left to do in this dark times - lets make some ceremony involving murder of our best wariors. And mask , we also need a new mask of sanguinius - it's emergency!

I don't think that this things came out of nowhere.

Although, there is no mention for exact Sanguinor in previous times. But this tradition is clearly older that heresy.

And that part with mural - there is no exact mention about Sanguinius.

http://cs629123.vk.me/v629123199/425cd/MiSxmBc-lNU.jpg

But this even doesn't matter - it even may be the Sanguinius - just as the concept picture like Jesus images - it's a painting representing the authors personal view.

The most important thing - this will not be concept for real miniature. Because of this radical changes, that can be used for Ultramarines with their Romanesque style.

Blood angels bears the late Renaissance/Baroque style which have different features.

And finally - All previous primarch were heavily based on art of Blanche, and even all new art showing how Sanguinius *actually* looked like.

http://cs629123.vk.me/v629123199/4262c/VKyuyovDLwU.jpg

http://cs629123.vk.me/v629123199/42612/90uozojXo3Q.jpghttp://cs629123.vk.me/v629123199/4260b/-2D9r6Z00OQ.jpg

So arguing about this mural is pointless as it will have no affection on real Sanguinius image.

You're all taking this far too seriously. Think of it like an allegory or metaphor of something to do with Sanguinius, a note of an heroic action or chapter. It might be him, it might not. Take what you like from it and leave what you don't.

...only a Sith deals in absolutes.

EDC

How do you all know death masks started after Signus?

Deathmasks started before Signus actually - the Sanguinary Guard always had them ;)

The Sanguinior was born after Signus, after Sanguinius became Emperor Secundus.

It is said that the mortal artist artificers were only there to render images of Sanguinius on the tanks/banners/wargear. That's a fact, i already quoted it. Is it an accurate image? Maybe, we don't know. It's pretty much there as propaganda. That's what the Blood Angels were created for. To quote FW again, from the same page: "[... created to] engender hope and strike awe into the hearts of those long lost in the darkness of old night, and to inspire stark terror in those who would reject the gift that is the imperial truth."

You know, for regular humans it's just a normal thing to cut their hair, but for an uber-human super-being, especially like Sanguinius, wouldn't that be vanity?

We do it to look orderly and/or fashionable, but since there's never been any mention of Sanguinius wearing a helmet, there's no reason to cut his hair short, unless you're talking about cutting it to shoulder-length. There's also no hints of any egyptian lore tied to his character, so again no reason to shave of his eyebrows when his favourite cats died - cutting his hair as an act of mourning I'd also count out.

I'd more likely agree to what's been said before here - that image looks more like the spirit of the Legion, a painting of wrath incarnate unleashed on the foes of the Emperor. That's also why the person is wearing a face-mask, because it is obvious he doesn't have an identity. Wings are an obvious choice if the painting was created when Sanguinius was still alive and lends to the newly-found idea that Blood Angels love to get high in the sky. Sword and shield are heavily adorned in the style of the Legion, and thinking about how the might of the Astartes was before the Great Betrayal, it is easy to think that a majority of weaponry was similarly adorned. The pose gives an idea of rushing forward into battle, shield raised and sword ready, seemingly "unfitting" for Blood Angels who'd rather skip the whole ground covering and just drop in from a thunderhawk - but since this is painted on a Land Raider it only makes sense. One of the most formidable pieces of armour that's been wrapped around a massive engine with heaps of guns on top - located literally "behind" the armour plating when you think where projectiles might be coming from, the painting conveys the literal image of a Land Raider ploughing through foes as if in a shield wall.

See, there's heaps of room to interpret on this one. You want it to be Sanguinius, I'm sure you can find plenty of ways to let it be.

However the evidence given can be seen in many ways, and not all paint it that way. :)

Snorri

Archived