Sanguinius Depiction by FW

Arkangilos

That's clearly not even a picture of a space marine, he's wearing armour no one in the 30th millenium would wear and has human body proportions. Asking who that's a picture of is like asking who the angel winged figure on all the Dark Angles iconography is. There really isn't any more reason to assume that every angel winged figure on BA iconography is meant to be Sanguinius any more than one should assume that the DA had a member with angel wings, there have been the odd occasion of BA iconography that had multiple angels in it who could just as easily both be interpreted as different aspects of Sanguinius as just being iconography not directly connected to the primarch.

Its an allegorical image.

As a side note to this, I think Crusade era Sanguinius would have long hair for sure. Meant to inspire the world he will visit and hopefully for e compliance onto.

At teh siege of Terra though? That stuff is getting chopped off for maximum fighting efficiency.

It's a cool stylized artwork, for sure. Not to my taste, personally, but it's cool. I do think some alternative imagery of all Primarchs is helpful, regardless of whether they are canon or not (look at the FW Ferrus Manus model, or the mustacheoued Rogal Dorn images floating around....after that last one I can't respect any Imperial Fists WITHOUT mustaches!) 

Speaking of canon...I think our best best of how the model will look will be the cover of the HH novel Fear to Tread ( http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/BL/Blog/2012/07/poster-fear-to-tread.jpg ). IMHO, one of THE most badass depictions in ALL of 40k. It is also consistent with the depiction of Sanguinius on the cover of Unremembered Empire. And, correct me if I am wrong, but almost every HH novel cover art showing a Primarch has been fairly indicative of  what his model will look like:

Fulgrim 

Ferrus Manus (head, coloring, backpack and weaponry tweaked)

Horus

Vulkan

Perturabo (some tweaks)

Robout Guilliman (they seem to have switched which hand has the Power Fist from the cover of Unremembered Empire). 

Lorgar

Konrad Curze (one of the newer covers coming out)

Corax (model has a different winged jump pack, but it's just a differently styled one than the cover of Deliverance Lost)

Ones on covers with no models yet (this'll show how true this theory is):

Leman Russ

Magnus (kinda sorta from cover of Thousand Sons)

Lion El'Jonson (from cover of one of the new books coming out, shows him fighting Konrad Curze. He has darker hair/mustache, looking more like a classic Knight or Aragorn from LOTR then previous artwork showing him with 80's style long hair and smooth shaven face)

Models but no cover art:

Mortarion

Angron (strike that...there is an eBook with Angron on the cover....not their best artwork)

...so it makes me wonder which came first: the model or the cover art? 

Any ways, as I stated at the beginning, regardless of whether or not it is Sanguinius, I think it's great to see alternative perspectives. 

I do have to agree with you that the cover of Fear to Tread was the best depiction of Sanguinius when it comes to the other art.

And don't get me wrong, I love that armor and everything. I just really like the hair on this guy, and some other minor things. The overall aesthetic of the art is lovable to me.

It's more or less a given that he'll look a lot like the art from fear to tread, unremembered empire, the primarchs and the collected visions (all of which have roughly the same aesthetic of long blond hair, white wings, gold muscled armour with a red gem in the chest plate).

Also pretty likely he'll be armed with a sword as his depictions in the novels have had him using a sword so far (and we now have a backstop for the sword being paired with one horus has - maybe when the Angel gets rules there will be an option for horus to use the same sword with whatever rules it has?? I'd love that)

Given that there is a reference somewhere to Sanguinius having a similar ability to the Emperor in that people 'see what they want to see' when they look at him (explaining the references to both black and blonde hair colourings in various books), all this is rather moot.

I wish I could remember where I read that, though.

BOOM! Got it:

Unremembered Empire

‘[sanguinius] is angelic,’ said Dolor. ‘He is numinous,’ added Farith Redloss. ‘He is more like his father in that respect. Some of the primarch lords are very much of the flesh. Horus is one, and your lord Guilliman another. They have physicality. But the Emperor… To be in his presence is to be in the presence of that which is spiritual, and has no constant form.

It is said the Emperor appears to each man in the image that man wishes to see. I think Lord Sanguinius has inherited much of that trait.’ Euten nodded. ‘It is true. I do not think of him as a face or a figure. I think of him as a light. The very colour of his hair and his eyes seems to change with his mood, and with mine.’ ‘This has been noted by others,’ Dolor agreed. ‘Several of the primarchs have this quality beyond simple physical stature, but none more than Sanguinius.’

Emphasis mine.

You're all taking this far too seriously. Think of it like an allegory or metaphor of something to do with Sanguinius, a note of an heroic action or chapter. It might be him, it might not. Take what you like from it and leave what you don't.

...only a Sith deals in absolutes.

EDC

This, a thousand times over. By the time of 40k (is that the setting from which this picture comes, or is it meant to be in 30k?) Space Marines are warrior-monks. Perhaps one can even say such of the BA in Heresy/GC era. 

Stylized images, more than any other legion, are what I personally would have expected from the BA. The shield could perfectly enough be a metaphor. His faith in the Emperor is his shield type thing. 

And can we all move away from the simplistic, almost banal idea that a primarch only ever dressed, armed, and looked the way we see them depicted in FW/GW official artwork/models? It's quite childish. 

You're all taking this far too seriously. Think of it like an allegory or metaphor of something to do with Sanguinius, a note of an heroic action or chapter. It might be him, it might not. Take what you like from it and leave what you don't.

...only a Sith deals in absolutes.

EDC

This, a thousand times over. By the time of 40k (is that the setting from which this picture comes, or is it meant to be in 30k?) 

The picture was from the Great Crusade, lol. Like, painting during the Great Crusade.

Models but no cover art:

Mortarion

Angron (strike that...there is an eBook with Angron on the cover....not their best artwork)

Mortarion is on the one anthology (Blades of the Traitor?).

Yet you need to look when the covers where made. The Curze ones were made after the model got released. 

Models but no cover art:

Mortarion

Yet you need to look when the covers where made. The Curze ones were made after the model got released. 

Ah great point! 

Models but no cover art:

Mortarion

So was the Mortarion one :)

As long as he isn't modeled with that stupid set of blood drops on his chest I'll be happy. For some reason the artwork always makes those blood drops look like a giant heart, but that could just be me. 

It does look like a giant heart, but that's pretty much a given feature. As far as I know, its in every artwork of him.

Long BLACK hair for the Angel is my personal preference. And I think it's the only place but Sanguinius was depicted as wearing a helm and death mask at the Eternity Gate when he slays Argel Tal in Aurelian FWIW

Oh, my Emperor. Nobody?! REALLY?

This is the only PROPER Sanguinius. THE Sanguinius from Forge World I'm waiting for. The golden armour with all the Eye of Horus? Ugh.

Sadly, it's an unofficial piece, so I will most likely be disappointed :(

http://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchive/newgallerycrits/g15/323215/323215_1240065755_large.jpg

Long BLACK hair for the Angel is my personal preference. And I think it's the only place but Sanguinius was depicted as wearing a helm and death mask at the Eternity Gate when he slays Argel Tal in Aurelian FWIW

Oh, my Emperor. Nobody?! REALLY?

This is the only PROPER Sanguinius. THE Sanguinius from Forge World I'm waiting for. The golden armour with all the Eye of Horus? Ugh.

Sadly, it's an unofficial piece, so I will most likely be disappointed sad.png

http://www.cgsociety.org/cgsarchive/newgallerycrits/g15/323215/323215_1240065755_large.jpg

I love that art so much.

Archived