2 2k Emperor's Children lists, help me decide!

So, with the update, my interest in the Emperor's Children has hype right back up there!  Has anyone used the Orbital Assault RoW before?  Is it good?  Looks to be a good way to get the Alpha strike to me...

Here goes:

First Wave

1 Praetor - MC Paragon Blade, Digital weapons, Iron Halo, Sonic Shrieker, Melta bombs - 190

1 Primus Medicae - Phoenix power spear, AA, Refractor field, Melta bombs - 130

7 Palantine Warriors - 4 Sabres, 2 Phoenix spears, Sonic shriekers, Prefector with Phoenix spear & Melta bombs - 224

1 Dreadclaw Drop pod - 100

5 Phoenix Terminators - Sonic shriekers - 280

1 Dreadclaw Drop pod - 100

1 Leviathan Dreadnought - 1 claw, 1 drill, Phosphex discharges - 310

1 Dreadnought Drop pod - 65

Second wave

10 Tactical marines - bolters, Sergeant with AA - 160

1 Drop pod - 35

10 Tactical marines - bolters, Sergeant with AA - 160

1 Drop pod - 35

Fleet Support

1 Primaris Lightning - 4 Krakens, Battle Servitor control, Ground tracking Augers - 210

Adds up to 1999pts

The other list I thought was using the new 3rd Co RoW

Assault element

Eidolon - Jump pack - 205

10 Assault Marines - 2 Power axes, Combat shields, Sonic shriekers, Sergeant with Phoenix spear - 350

6 Outriders - 2 Power axes, Sonic shriekers, Sergeant with Phoenix spear - 242

2 Attack bikes - Multi-meltas, Melta bombs - 110

Shooting

10 Kakophoni - Sergeant - 245

10 Kakophoni - Sergeant - 245

Fleet Support

1 Primaris Lightning - 4 Krakens, Battle Servitor control, Ground tracking Augers - 210

Adds up to 1997

So which do you think is better?  The first has a better Alpha strike & combat & the units should get the charge from their Dreadclaws, the second has much more fire support, but I'm worried that the Kakophoni can die too easily...

Thoughts?

I'd say list 1 just because an EC list without those gorgeous Phoenix Terminators is heresy.  List 2 does look very fragile.  Ultimately you should choose the list that appeals to you most as a hobbyist.

Some thoughts on the first list:

Did you consider Eidolon instead of the Praetor?  I think he's about the same price if you run him without the jump pack.  He has an awesome model and would put out a lot more damage on the charge than a generic praetor.

The conventional wisdom on a Leviathan in a DDP would be 1 ranged arm.  A storm cannon or melta lance would be good in this list.  That said, I think it'll do fine as it is.  Just drop it in the most threatening position you can - it will need to act as a fire magnet to make sure that you're dreadclaws can survive turn 1 and deliver those turn 2 charges.

The tactical squads are kind of sad - I really dislike having to take do-nothing choices as compulsory troops, but your choice is entirely appropriate.  They'll cap objectives and win you the game, so I suppose we shouldn't complain.

The main weakness I can see is that against a mech heavy list you might fail to open up any transports on turn 1 or 2, and then your dreadclaws would have no targets for those hard won charges.  Both of your assault squads are pretty much wasted against vehicles, so it's critical that you get a clear run against their high priority squads, but unless your kraken caddy comes on in turn 2 you probably won't manage it.  Possible solutions would be equipping your leviathan to open up transports, or running your Palatine Blades as Veterans or a Command Squad so that you can take mass melta bombs.

Thanks for your advice!  I agree that those models are awesome!  Unfortunately they're just so expensive (points wise... I think they should be 225 base...).  I'll need to buy a set for the spears, so I've done a bit of a re-jig to still make use of the models as Legion Terminators instead.  I like the second list a bit better, those Kakophoni are just awesome (even if I did want to play loyalists, which was I had a Praetor and not Eidolon in the first list)! I definitely agree that it was a bit fragile, so cutting the chaff in the bikes (not a great assault unit...), and the Lightning, frees up enough points for a squad of Terminators (those left over Phoenix guards!) in a Land Raider...  It's all falling into place!  Also, hopefully the rumours of the assault squad (to be made from Palantine blades, so they look awesome with the shields!) discount turn out to be true!

Here's take two on the second list:

Assault element

10 Assault Marines - 2 Power axes, Combat shields, Sonic shriekers, Sergeant with Phoenix spear - 350

5 Legion Terminators - Combi-plasmas, 2 Power swords, 2 Chainfists, Champ with Combi-plasma, Phoenix spear - 235

OR

7 Palantine Warriors - 2 Phoenix spears, Sonic shriekers, Champ with Phoenix spear & Melta bombs - 224

Land Raider - Armoured ceramite, Dozer blade, Extra armour, Frag assault launchers - 295

Shooting

9 Kakophoni - Sergeant - 225

8 Kakophoni - Sergeant - 205 (9 if I use the Palantine Warriors)

2 Attack bikes - Multi-meltas, Melta bombs - 110

OR

2 Laser Destroyer Rapiers - 110

Adds up to 2000

So, the big choices that I'm trying to decide are the Terminators or the Blades, the Terminators have better armour, shooting (especially that one turn of Plasma death!) & tank hunting, whereas the Blades have better WS (& Shriekers!) so are basically always hitting on 3s, 2 more numbers, all strike at initiative (devastating on charge with the spears). 

At the moment, I'm leaning towards terminators at 2,000pts & blades at 2,500pts (I'm adding Fulgrim, so need space in the Raider!)

The other one is the Attack Bikes Vs Laser Destroyers, LDs are much better at range, but the Bikes have Melta bombs and are great close up against things that don't have Armoured Ceramite.  I'm not keen on the Graviton-cannons as I don't feel I have enough to make it worth it (I feel Graviton is better at consistantly pinging off Hull Points whereas LDs are riskier, but have a better chance to kill outright!).

Thoughts?

I would go with the Palatines. They are the better elite killers due to I6 WS5 and Sonic Shriekers.

As for the second issue, Lasers would be superior given how everything has Ceramite these days anyway.

Why are you running Assault Marines instead of JP Palatines though?

Phoenix Terminators are indeed lovely, but base cost is too high (10 more than Justaerin? golly gee FW), and they are gutless when Charged or in a prolonged engagement. Use the models as a command squad and the spears for palatines and sgts?

Yeah, they might not look very efficient in a vacuum, but you are forgetting that literally nothing looks all that great in an EC army until you regard the big picture. For one, they are still capable of surviving and sweeping when getting charged by anything that has a 3+ save, most of the time anyway, especially when you take into account their now universal WS5, Sonic Shriekers, Rylanor and their own 6" bubble. A prolonged engagement shouldn't be necessary due to those modifiers and having another unit nearby to bail them out.

Should they get the charge, even Justaerin will bend. Hitting on 3s against any Elite unit apart from other EC with Shriekers, they will put in enough of a dent into said unit to reliably sweep them with modifiers, I6 and Crusader. They can simply lurk in their dedicated Dreadclaw until they can make the most out of their charge.

It is all about inter-unit synergy ;) In fact, I have a solid concept for a character who can act as ensurance against being charges by simply tanking away with the Lucid Blade, forcing either a loss for the enemy or a tie, which can be modified with Rylanor and Phoenix Guard to sweep them and break the deadlock.

Having said that, they are still a tad more expensive than I would like it and one single tactical blunder can set you back quite a few points. An alternate use for the models would be a TDA Command Squad (with 4 dudes and a TDA Praetor) in a Dedicated Phobos or Claw. They bring a Banner, a full set of Volkite Chargers and a solid punch in melee. Just stick them in Tartaros Armour and use Phoenix Guard models. I would try Blood Angel TDA weapons, as they have wings and such all over them, which fits the theme.

Thanks for the replies!  I was going to use assault marines because they were cheaper (especially with the rumoured price drop) & have can Combat shields (which should look pretty cool!) as I'm a little worried about their survivability, but looking at the cost of the Palatine blades again, they're not much more.  So they're actually looking much better than I thought... 

So how's this...

Assault element

10 Palantine Warriors - Jump packs, 2 Phoenix spears, Sonic shriekers, Champ with Phoenix spear & Melta bombs - 390

7 Palantine Warriors - 2 Phoenix spears, Sonic shriekers, Champ with Phoenix spear & Melta bombs - 224

Land Raider - Armoured ceramite, Dozer blade, Extra armour - 285

Shooting

8 Kakophoni - Sergeant - 205

8 Kakophoni - Sergeant - 205

2 Laser Destroyer Rapiers - 110

Adds up to 1999

Very choppy, little worried about dealing with armour... & I have no anti-air...  Should look pretty though!  (& it's not designed to be the be all & end all of WAAC)

• 2 weeks later...

So, after talking to my gaming group and with the rumoured points reduction on Assault squads, we have decided to know 50 points off the starting price (hopefully this is what FW do, personally I'd like 180 starting cost + 13ppm, but really that is for another thread..., please keep on this one!)

So without further ado

Assault element

10 Assault Marines - 2 Power axes, Sonic shriekers, Sergeant with Phoenix spear & Combat shield - 268

10 Assault Marines - 2 Power axes, Sonic shriekers, Sergeant with Phoenix spear & Combat shield , Melta bombs- 273

7 Palantine Warriors - 2 Phoenix spears, Sonic shriekers, Jump packs, Prefector with Phoenix spear - 289

Shooting

7 Kakophoni - Orchestrator - 185

3 Laser Destroyer Rapiers - 165

1 Deredeo Dread - Autocannon battery, Aoilos missiles, Armoured ceremite - 240

Adds up to 2000 on the dot

Very happy with this list!  Feels like it covers all the bases I want it to, it's fast, choppy, has solid anti-tank/air/infantry.  What do you think?

Archived