My frst model after a 4 year absence-Ultramarines Captain.

Replica

Hey all,

Well after a 4 year absence from the hobby I decided to have a go at a model that I really like, but had 3 of so I was not concerned if I ruined it.

He is based one the old "Master of the Watch" figures with some very slight weapon swaps.

Anyway, here is my first model in 4 years, and I was trying out some new techniques and relearning some old ones!

Please let me know what you think, I definitely know its far from perfect so any comments or criticism is more than welcome!

gallery_49031_11832_331426.jpg

gallery_49031_11832_50820.jpg

gallery_49031_11832_69327.jpg

All comments welcome!

Cheers!

Replica

Great work on the layered highlighting, especially after such a long break!

It's coming out a little pastel-y, so perhaps a blue glaze to bring out the colour?

Cheers for the advice mate!

I see what you mean, especially in the last pic.

I also think i might do the shoulder pads blue instead of black as its hardly noticeable but looks incoherent

Oh, Replica! Another blast from the past! That's now four since the beginning of the year! :D

Nice to see you getting back into the saddle! The highlights are a bit thick in some places so I'd suggest diluting the paint a bit more. The banner and skull lack the contrast that the rest of the model has, and I'd suggest you shade the cape with green or brown next time (black is a bit too strong and doesn't look natural) but the NMM looks superb! thumbsup.gif

Keep us up-to-date with whatever models you paint next!

Looking pretty good. My only suggestion is maybe one less layer on the highlights. It's a little bright.

Agreed, I shouldn't have gone all the way up to white on the armor, and even bleached bone is probably a bit too bright! I think I might buy some new colours, the range has changed quite a bit since I was last in a GW store laugh.png

The blood on the face = thumbsup.gif

Thanks for noticing! I love a model that tells a story, so this was sort of what I was going for smile.png

Oh, Replica! Another blast from the past! That's now four since the beginning of the year! biggrin.png

Nice to see you getting back into the saddle! The highlights are a bit thick in some places so I'd suggest diluting the paint a bit more. The banner and skull lack the contrast that the rest of the model has, and I'd suggest you shade the cape with green or brown next time (black is a bit too strong and doesn't look natural) but the NMM looks superb! thumbsup.gif

Keep us up-to-date with whatever models you paint next!

Cheers! Great to be back and I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one making a return!

Good point about the highlights going on thick, I'm still getting used to the wet pallet, but i'll keep the paint thinner next time!

Thanks for the advice, and I'll post some pics of the next one!

Archived