A Beginners Journey with the Blood Ravens Begins

pupecki

Hey everyone!

I am just getting back into 40K after many years away from the hobby. This is the first time I will actually be building a complete army and thought that using these forums as a hobby blog would help keep me motivated to finish it! So if you want to watch noob go through the process of modeling and painting their first army, feel free to hang around. Also I'm always open to suggestions as the project continues!

So with my introduction over I figured I use the rest of my first post to do a general outline of my project for you all, as well as to help keep myself organized.

First up I will be posting the army list I plan on creating. I have only ever played one actual game of 40K, which was about 8-10 years ago, back in 5th edition I believe. While I will probably play a few games with this army, it's really much more of a hobby thing for me so my list isn't really geared toward competitive play, but more of what I think is cool and makes sense to me lore wise.

With that in mind I created this list with a 1250 point limit in mind. I figured that would give me a good amount of point to get a reasonable sized army to work on and would let me play a smaller game if I ever decided to bring my Blood Ravens to the table. The meat and potatoes of my army will be from the Space Marine Battle Demi-Company. Along with a few other odds and ends thrown in for flavor.

Without further ado here is my list:

HQ:

Captain

• Artificer Armor
  • Bolt Pistol + Relic Blade
  • Jump Pack

Elite:

Dreadnought

• 2x TL Autocannons

+ Terminators

• 5x Terminators
  • Assault Cannon
  • Chainfist

Fast Attack:

Assault Squad

• 5x Marines
  • Jump Packs
  • Sarg w/ Power sword + Melta bombs
  • Flamer

Stormtalon

• TL Lascannons

Troops:

Tac Squad A

• 10x Marines
  • Sarg w/ combi-plas
  • Plas Gun
  • Plas Cannon

Tac Squad B

• 10x Marines
  • Sarg w/ Power Sword
  • Flamer
  • Heavy Bolter

Tac Squad C

• 10x Marines
  • Sarg w/ Power Axe
  • Flamer
  • Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support:

Devastator Squad

• 5x Marines
  • 4x Lascannons

This list comes out to 1250 on the dot, I'm also happy that it doesn't include a lot of vehicles/transports since I really don't enjoy assembling and painting vehicles.

Now on to the modeling portion!

As said before, the bulk of this force will be coming from the Demi-Company box. I'm also going to purchase a Stormtalon, and the Lord Executioner model will be used for my Captain. 

With the exception of my Captain, I plan on having every marine be unique in some way. To help me achieve this I plan on using some 3rd party bits from Anvil Industries. I'm a big fan of their equipment packs as well as their different magazine options, so expect to see those popping up!

I think that's a good start for my first post on this project, I will continue to update it throughout the next couple days with some painting information and any news I feel is important to the project.

Thanks for taking the time to read my long winded intro. Please feel free to leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer any questions you guys may have!

:tu:  Man, if there are no pics then this didn't happen!  Blood Ravens have a cool look to them and making each model individualized is a challenging goal, so I too look forward to seeing these ^_^

Thanks for the support guys! I will have all of my stuff ordered by Monday or Tuesday of next week hopefully, and plan on having an update posted of my painting by then too, so keep a look out!

and @Race Bannon, don't worry I plan on posting plenty of pictures throughout this project!

Hey guys, it's been awhile since I've posted an update since life and work have been very busy for me recently. I unfortunately don't think I'll get to hobby much this weekend as I have family coming in for Easter. However, I thought I'd go ahead and post an update anyway.

So I have finally pulled the trigger on my army with a few adjustments. I ended up purchasing the demi-company box, but instead of the stormtalon, I bought some tact. terminators, since, well... I think terminators are really cool. I also ordered some extra las cannons, as well as the blood ravens librarian from the new Deathwatch box from some bit sellers. I got some equipment packs, magazines, bionics, along with other odds and ends from Anvil Industries, and I order some dreadnought autocannon arms from forgeworld.

I also went ahead and ordered a few different sizes of magnets, and am going to try my first ever magnetization with this army. So those should be fun to work with.

As for how I plan on painting my army, I plan on using this amazing post by BKZer0 as a reference. He has put a lot of time into it and it will certainly be a big help for me. But a few of the colors might not match exactly. I really am most interested in the reference pics and the chapter markings transfers he has posted in his opening posts, as well as his assembly line style of painting minis. I think that it will really help me get the best details I can onto my models.

Well that's all for now, I plan on posting some unboxing pics when everything arrives in the mail, and then I can finally start getting to work! biggrin.png

Archived