XVI: Sons of Horus Siege Company

This will be my thread for my Sons of Horus army that I've been slowly accumulating this year. There may be other things popping up here and there, but the vast majority will be the brothers formerly known as the Luna Wolves.

gallery_92897_11835_815464.jpg

This is my first veteran squad, they are missing five shoulder pads and I'm uncertain on the crest colour. Otherwise completed.

I'm currently working on a Dreadnought, another squad and my forgelord.

Here's a sneak peek of the forgelord himself: gallery_92897_11835_1302915.jpg

Good looking models there :) For the crest, you might be safer with some kind of red of burnt orange ?

The Forge Lord is going to be pretty cool :) It's not often you see one without a Servo-arm or a conversion beamer. Are you planning on making a Siege Breaker too ?

Many thanks for the kind words, all! B&C seems like a really lovely community!

Good looking models there smile.png For the crest, you might be safer with some kind of red of burnt orange ?

The Forge Lord is going to be pretty cool smile.png It's not often you see one without a Servo-arm or a conversion beamer. Are you planning on making a Siege Breaker too ?

The original intention of him was as a mech-praetor, hence the lack of proper servo-equipment. However I'm working on a praetor concept at the moment so that may change!

Great start. The bases provide a nice contrast to your marines, and I would second the various endorsements for red/orange crests. What green are you using?

It is very simple! Grey undercoat. Kaballite green. Coelia Greenshade. A few edge highlights with Syrabite Green and then weathering. I wanted a brooding, intimidating colour without being lavish. Also, it being very simple to paint helps!

So new updates. I've made some tweaks to the first veteran squad (pics to come later) including adding the missing pads.

I've also been working on squad 2. This is with the base coats and washes done. Since this picture I've painted and washed the holsters and sorted out the sergeant's crest. I'm still messing around with the damn banner, which is proving to be a pain.

gallery_92897_11835_87162.jpg

To do: Highlights (metals, armour). Weathering.

Also, with the ETL looming, here is what I plan on doing for my first vow!

gallery_92897_11835_1432916.jpg

That's 10 Reavers, 5 Justaerin and a Master of Signals!

So I had a question for y'all. I wnat destroyers in my army, but I have the black scheme more than covered. So I was thinking a heavily weathered Green. Is that best done with intense weathering over the usual scheme or should I paint it as raw metal then sponge on green? What do you think?

*snip*

So I had a question for y'all. I wnat destroyers in my army, but I have the black scheme more than covered. So I was thinking a heavily weathered Green. Is that best done with intense weathering over the usual scheme or should I paint it as raw metal then sponge on green? What do you think?

Very cool work so far.

I'd recommend giving both methods a little try out on a piece of plasticard or cardboard, and take a few pics: It'll give you a better idea, and if you still want advice we'll understand better the effects proposed.

• 2 months later...

Yup, the new Sector Imperialis set. Really nice value. The pure rubble ones are a complete waste of space but I'd strongly recommend the set.

Here's a WIP of my new scheme, mostly done pre-weathering. I think I did some more of the red since taking this picture. The shoulder pads need highlighting though.

gallery_92897_11835_793664.jpg

For the weathering, I'm doing the standard sponging but in terms of powder up the leg, what type would be appropriate for the basing?

Archived