Raven Guard + Battle Automata Liste Help

Silk

Hello guys,

again I need your advice, I am sorry about the Word Bearer thread, but my colleague and game partner has convinced me to the Raven Guard.

Now I need your help.

Again I would like to play an additional Praevian with 2 Battle Automatas ( I thought infiltrating Multi meltas could be nice :) )

After I saw him I think the Vindicator with the Laser array upgrade should stop some damn enemy tanks. ( or isn't he Worth it? )

The rest including one Contemptor should be come to play via Drop Pods ( Maybe one Tactical in a Rhino ? )

I have here one BaC Box unopened, do you think I can use the Marines or should I sell them and get the other stuff via Forgeworld?

Additionally my last question, do you think that all of my wishes fit in the fluff?

Best regards

Frank

Yes it does fit with the fluff. But we need a list to really critique. How do you want to play? Infantry heavy? Do you only want 2 battle automata or would you want more? Do you prefer Castellax or Vorax? Do you want to play like a surgical strike or not? Do you like tanks and flyers?

Oh and what points level?

Heyho Iron,

normally we play 1850 pts.

So here is my List, to get use of the RoW smile.png

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1850pts) ++

+ HQ (560pts) +

Legion Centurion (420pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Raven's Talons]
Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [Enhanced Targeting Array, Frag Grenades]
Castellax [siege Wrecker]
Consul
Praevian [Cortex Controller]

Strike Captain Alvarex Maun (140pts)
Master of the Legion [Decapitation Strike]

+ Troops (670pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Raven's Talons]

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Raven's Talons]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (220pts) [Legion Sergeant, 4x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]
Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Dozer Blade, Twin-Linked Bolter]

+ Elites (280pts) +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (280pts)
Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

+ Fast Attack (180pts) +

Dark Fury Assault Squad (180pts) [4x Dark Fury]
Chooser of the Slain [Melta Bombs]

+ Heavy Support (160pts) +

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron (160pts)
Legion Vindicator Tank [Armoured Ceramite, Dozer Blade, Laser Destroyer Array, Twin-Linked Bolter]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Loyalist, XIX: Raven Guard]

Instead of a Siege Wrecker, take Dark Fire Lances instead for the same cost; they'll prove much more useful, I feel. You'll also want a form of Invulnerable Save for your Praevian since he currently doesnt have one.

If you want to save points, "Downgrade" the Contemptor to a Contemptor-Cortus.

I'm uncertain as to whether or not Armored Ceramite is worth it on a Vindicator/Rhino Chassis. The S8 from Melta will still punch through its side and rear armor easily enough even without the extra D6 from the Melta USR. That could save you some more points to bulk out other things in your list like the Dark Furies who are pretty low in numbers.

Thank you Slip.

The Cortus Contemptor is an idea thank you :)

But what could I do to get a better save for my Previan?

Also I know there is no AA .

But I definitely want to play the Vindicator ( maybe without the armoured ceramite)

the contemptor and the battle automatas, because I just like the look of the guys :)

I hope the standard section is ok and fluffy.

I am just a little afraid of the time when the special characters will not be allowed. :(

Vindicator is fine but the cost of the Armored Ceramite might be put to better use elsewhere especially when coupled with the potential savings swapping for a Cortus will bring.

For your Praevian a Refractor Field for a Flat 5++ is fine and dandy but, if you feel like it, a Boarding Shield is just as good. 6++ vs Shooting, 5++ in CC but gives the unit defensive grenades which will come in handy if the unit gets charged.

Anti-Air is only a problem if you know you're likely to go up against flyers at some point. If you know that literally nobody in your area plays them, theres no real point.

For the Dreadnought, i'd swap the extra Armor for a Chain Fist. S10 Armorbane in CC will do more for you than Extra Armor.

You might also want a Vexilla on your Tac Marines to re-roll failed morale since ATSKNF isn't a thing.

Most of this should be doable with the points gained by removing AC from the Vindicator (pays for both Tac Squad Vexillas) and swapping to a Cortus which saves you 40pts (portion pays for the Praevians Invulnerable of choice).

The remaining free points you're free to spend as you see fit.

Slips has beaten me to everything frankly. As always he hits the nail on the head.

You can give your Praevian a Refractor Field for a 5++.

I dont think special characters will ever be limited in the Heresy. They are a seriously integral part to it and the models make too much money to limit them in game.

Only other thing I notice is you have 3 drop pods which is perfect but ideally you want that plasma squad in a pod. Everyone may not agree but them things are a serious target and no one is going to have a problem popping that Rhino and killing them. And that will happen fast. I would personally either up the pods to 5 so 3 come down turn 1 or put a tactical squad in the Rhino ( less of a target ) and the support squad in a pod.

Hope thats helpful

Quick itty bitty point to touch on since Slips is on point.

Outside of imposed rules from game groups or stores, GW hasn't had a "ask opponent's permission" for special characters clause since 4th edition 40k at the latest. Its really a relic of editions long past that, for whatever reason, folks tend to hang on to. Much like a unit "making its points back" is a hold over from when there was a tally of points cost of models killed in 3rd edition, which itself came over from Fantasy. 

Heresy has never had a special characters clause, and they should always just be considered part of that army's unit choices. 

Now relics on the other hand... 

Ok guys, here is my new try:

+++ New Roster (1850pts) +++

+ HQ (575pts) +

Legion Centurion (435pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Pair of Raven's Talons, Refractor Field]
Castellax Class Battle-Automata Maniple [Enhanced Targeting Array, Frag Grenades]
Castellax [Darkfire Cannon]
Consul

+ Troops (665pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]
Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Melta Bombs]

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Support Squad (215pts) [Legion Drop Pod, 4x Legion Space Marines, Plasma Guns]
Legion Sergeant [Melta Bombs]

+ Elites (250pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (250pts)
Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

+ Fast Attack (210pts) +

Dark Fury Assault Squad (210pts) [5x Dark Fury]

+ Heavy Support (150pts) +

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron (150pts)
Legion Vindicator Tank [Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Laser Destroyer Array, Twin-Linked Bolter]

The Changes where:

- adding the Previan a refractor field and a pair of ravens talons ( because of ravens talons i cant use the boarding shield or? )

- giving one Battle Automata the Darkfire Lance

- Swapping Pod and Rhino at the tacticals.

- Giving the Tacticals in the Pod the Bolt-Pistol and CCW instead of Bolters

- Switching Armoured ceramite at the Vindicator to extra armour

- Changing the Contemptor to an Cortus Contemptor with Chainfist, and extra armour + 2 grav guns )

- adding one Member to the Dark Fury Assault Squad

what do you think out of it?

Additionally Instead of the plasma Squad in the Drop Pod i am thinking of an infiltrating Mor Deytan Squad like this:

6 Mor Deythan, 2 with missile launchers, 4 with combi-plasmas (203 points)

Ah damn I forgot -.-

Ok then i have adjust this guy msn-wink.gif

Edit the new Version, now he just has a Bolter, 2 points sounds fair for his job ^^

+++ New Roster (1850pts) +++

+ HQ (577pts) +

Legion Centurion (437pts) [Artificer Armour, Bolter, Melta Bombs, Pair of Raven's Talons, Refractor Field]
Castellax [Darkfire Cannon]
Consul

+ Troops (450pts) +

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

Legion Tactical Squad (225pts) [Exchange their Bolters for a Chainsword or Combat Blade, Legion Drop Pod, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines, Legion Vexilla]

+ Elites (463pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (250pts)
Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

Mor Deythan Strike Squad (213pts) [Artificer Armour, 4x Combi-weapon, 2x Missile Launcher with Suspensor Web, 5x Mor Deythan]

+ Fast Attack (210pts) +

Dark Fury Assault Squad (210pts) [5x Dark Fury]

+ Heavy Support (150pts) +

Legion Vindicator Siege Tank Squadron (150pts)
Legion Vindicator Tank [Dozer Blade, Extra Armour, Laser Destroyer Array, Twin-Linked Bolter]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Loyalist, XIX: Raven Guard]

Created with BattleScribe (http://www.battlescribe.net)

I think im being thick here but its better to ask. Dont you need to the Drop Pod RoW to take the pods and then doesn't that limit you taking Rhinos? I'm sure im missing something here but I would rather say and get called daft then you build a non legal army.

Hey Iron not really thats the rite of war:

Rite of War : Decapitation Strike

• For Whom the Bell Tolls – All Legiones Astartes Raven Guard units gain Preferred Enemy (Independent Characters) special rule
  • Predatory Strike – As long as the Primary Detachment, the controlling player may re-roll the dice to see who goes first/deploys first if this is part of the mission being played
  • Fury from AboveTactical Squads, Veteran Tactical Squads, Tactical Support Squads, Seeker Squads, and Heavy Support Squads may choose Legion Drop Pods as Dedicated Transports (unit size can’t exceed Drop Pod transport capacity). Deathstorm Drop Pods may be chosen as Elites rather than Heavy Support choices.
  • Limitations
    • May only take a single Heavy Support choice
    • May only take a single Consul as part of their HQ choice
    • May not take Fortifications or allied Space Marine Legion Detachment

It just limits me at the heavy support choice :)

greetings

Archived