Now you see me...

DarkAngeal

This may be an old idea, but it is a new thought to me.

The Darkshroud is one of the coolest looking models that dark angels get access to. Its rules synergise better with ravenwing, but I had an idea of how it could be effectively combined with greenwing.

What you need:

1) a drop pod (or three or five) with locator beacon

2) something that can perform well in cc, maybe it can shoot decently as well? Assault marines or veterans work well here

3) a Darkshroud (consider running it as part of a Ravenwing Strike Force)

Okay, you have your supplies, how to combine them? Drop pod assault turn 1. Try to group up your locator drop pods and be aggressive with it. Drop them in your enemy's face. Shoot. Turn 2 have your Darkshroud enter via deepstrike. Specifically deepstrike it right behind or in the middle of your infantry, taking advantage of those locator beacons to not scatter. Now you can bring in more drop pods around them and charge to your heart's content without being overwatched by threatening ranged opponents. Furthermore it doesn't give your opponent an opportunity to destroy the Darkshroud on their turn.

If you can make it work for you, I say go for it. A few concerns I would have about this strategy though:

Using the darkshroud to prevent overwatch is a risky business - you need to be quite close to the enemy to pull it off, so there's a risk that they can easily charge your darkshroud in their turn. So you either need to assault heaps of units (tough to pull off), or charge isolated units (given that your enemy gets a whole turn's notice from where your pod arrives, they should have plenty of time to bring support over).

For these reasons, I find using the darkshroud to support bikers (especially a big RW command squad with multiple ICs attached) works better - they can target exposed units better, and tie up all or most units in threat range. Plus they also tend to create a bigger combat footprint that enemy assaulters might have to move around.

But full marks for thinking outside the box, and as a one off tactic it might catch your opponent off guard

Archived