Running scouts

So I was toying with the idea if getting a full 10 man scout squad in a pod. My question to you is, is it worth it, and how would you run them. I've got a full squad of snipers (who probably have to pee sitting down coz they can't hit anything) and I feel that my tactical squads aren't really worth the points. At the moment I'm fighting wolves.

Cheers guys

Erm. Not in a pod. Whatever comes out of a pod gets shot to hell, and scouts aren't there for that.

Problem with infiltrating a combatty unit is that they cannot charge t1.

Maybe 10 bolters and a combi weapon infiltrated?

I actually really like their shotguns.

You don't lose much on the ap5, and if something gets to close you can double tap and still charge, if your running a strike force for that tasty +1 I.

Though I usually stick them in my stormraven.

My go to load out there is 10, 4 shotguns, 5 ccw/bolt pistol, vet sarge with combiflamer, lighting claw, mb in the raven.

Can combat squad, packs a solid close range punch, fairly cheap, and if you need them out of the raven without it dropping to hover, they don't take the dangerous terrain checks.

Without thinking of them in terms of damage output, the infiltrating/outflanking onto an objective is quite useful, especially in maelstrom. Shotguns are a good shout, I like the bp/ccw.

I'll also echo the utility of them jumping out a SR onto an objective.

EDC

Always prefer the bolt pistols to shotguns. Much rather have an extra S5 attack in combat than a S4 one in shooting. Especially as they are ws/bs3 so will generally hit on 4s.

When they become BS4 there could be an argument.

I love running cc scouts as my second troop choice (first being flamer tacticals) I've always ran mine as a 5 man squad with no upgrades, but I use them more as a distraction, infiltrating/scouting into cover near my opponents gunlines. Gives my opponent a bit more to think about beyond "KILL THE DC!" and it's cheap target saturation/troop tax fulfillment.

So I was toying with the idea if getting a full 10 man scout squad in a pod. My question to you is, is it worth it, and how would you run them. I've got a full squad of snipers (who probably have to pee sitting down coz they can't hit anything) and I feel that my tactical squads aren't really worth the points. At the moment I'm fighting wolves.

Cheers guys

Scouts can infiltrate, paying points for a pod for them is the waste of a slot and points.  BA scouts work best in the CC variety, they can lay down an astonishingly good beatdown on most enemy troops.  Remember that they all have krak grenades.  Give their sergeant a combi-melta/meltabomb combination and they can potentially alpha strike an expensive enemy armor unit as well.

I have been running cc scouts for a while now. I painted up 30 initially, while fun to play it felt like too many. I have been running 10-15 now always combat squadded. The main things they do well is: Going to ground on objectives, outflanking to grab linebreaker or keeping midfield for assault/counter assault. Some games they don't do much, but they are really good at popping rear armor 10 veichles or tieing things up in combat. When using them for backfield objectives they are fine compared to snipers, they wont do any dmg, but since you don't need LOS you can hide them and charge stuff that gets too close. I'm sure shotguns are fine as well, they are mostly for utility. Each time i run tacticals they feel much weaker, but maybe thats just me. 

For what it's worth, I wrote this at the beginning of the current Codex's life cycle as people were somewhat irked by use only having Tacticals and Scouts as our Troop choices.

Regarding shotguns, I take one per five close combat Scouts. A combination of only having one shotgun model and utilising the "one per five guys" rule (more often than not seen on upgrades for DC squads) and I don't want to lose out too much combat potential on the squad.

The only way I would consider Scouts coming out of a Drop Pod is in combination with the Angel's Fury Spearhead Force (to enable a charge on arrival) and as a bodyguard for someone like Mephiston (think how Cultists are used to get Khârn into combat, but this is better as it's almost guaranteed).

I quite like that actually...

I think if I did that I'd paint them up as Death Company.

10th Company Death Company. Noice.

Interesting... Does that ever actually happen - in the fluff I mean? Rotten luck to fall to the black rage before even becoming a 'proper' marine :D

Interesting... Does that ever actually happen - in the fluff I mean? Rotten luck to fall to the black rage before even becoming a 'proper' marine biggrin.png

They must do... But they just put them in power armour once the signs start! ...rolleyes.gif

Interesting... Does that ever actually happen - in the fluff I mean? Rotten luck to fall to the black rage before even becoming a 'proper' marine biggrin.png

I would think it would be considered a failed initiation, so the scout would be promptly put down and written off as a training casualty.

Exemple of scouts falling to the Black Rage can be found within the "Blood of Angels" short story. (http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/the-blood-of-angels-ebook.html).

Note that the case show in the story is an extreme one, but it tend to demonstrate that such thing may occur even if they are rare in Normal circonstances, unlike the ones of the short story.

Also, unlike the others legion/chapter, the Blood Angels implant process lead to the fact that unlike all other, the Blood Angels novitiate/scouts are full grow at their wake from the year sleep within the sarcophage....a fact that lead to imagine that Blood Angels scouts may possibly wears Power Armour since they already possess all the implant, though they must learn how to live with this new augmented body.

All the better if you get Unleash Rage as a power!

I'm really a sucker for the idea of running Cypher with scouts. 9 shotguns, sgt with whatever, and camo. He's pricey but the scouts are super cheap!

Archived