FW dreadnoughts questions

eurieus

Hello brothers !!! 

So , my dreaded 30th birthday is coming soon and i'm looking at some of the shiny and pricey stuff from Forgeword :D 

I'm torn between the deredeo and the Leviathan, and both are awesome looking BUT, obviously, they fulfill different roles. I'm getting the BaC box soon, and i was wondering if the contemptor mortis variant is still viable, or is the deredeo far superior and i should get one instead ? 

Are the "classic" contemptor loadouts still relevant now that codex dreads can be squadroned and have more attacks ? 

And last but not least, does anyone have experience with the Leviathan ? Full CC in a pod or shooty variant ? 

I'm sorry for the noobish questions, but i have zero experience with FW models and if i can get some FW goodness, might as well invest in the rights things ;) 

Thanks for your advices brothers !! 

i own and have used 2 dreadnaughts and then i own another i have only recently acquired he has yet to go for a spin around the table.

i own a venerable, deredeo and the contempor (the new guy). to me i feel that the hierarchy of dreadnaughts has changed and much like the imperial knights have grown up and branched so too has the dreadnaught. ill need to explain that analogy better i feel: in the past the imperial knight was errant or paladin then we got the gallant, crusader and warden. the paladin and errant became the (beginner knights) and then your warden was your mix of two different styles of knight with the crusader and gallant occupying the extremes of shooting and melee

with the dreadnaughts we have a similar situation, origionally you have the normal dread, the venerable, contempor and chaplain dreadnaughts. the first two being your beginner models with the chaplain occupying the halfway house between the final form the contempor/mortis. now its become a tree of sorts and ill draw it in chat for you

-> chaplain                               -> mortis -> deredeo                   

normal - > venerable  -> contempor ->

-> leviathan

your contempor is now the middleman of the top of the tree mixing shooting and melee in the best balance possible at the extreme end with the deredeo being the final form of the shooting side of the family, and the leviathan being your final form for melee dreadnaughts. so really it comes down to use and intent, your contempor is your best all rounder, the deredeo is the best shooter and the leviathan is your best at punching things. and your need will see you go down one route or another

Remember, the Leviathan has two Melta guns even if you go full CC, and can have 3x Hunter Killer as an upgrade.

DM

yes but its calling is CC, and none of its guns shoot further then 24" and those arent its base config guns which are all 12"

I have two contemptors mortis kheres and they are brutal.  Not the best in range but they've got teeth to keep most things away from them aisde from a suicide melta squad...which if the contemptors survive...that squad doesn't.

I think the question you have to ask is what you want your dread to do. If you want it to shoot, then either the Doritio or the Contmeptor are the ones to go for. Dorito has some really good guns, while the Contemptor has better choice of armament. If you want to use your dread in an all-rounder capacity, or for melee, I'd go for a normal or venerable version, as they have more attacks. The Contemptor's 2 attacks isn't enough really when compared to a regular dread's 4. The Mk V Mortis is worth a look for cheap AA, but if it's AA you want, the Dorito is far and away the best.

I'd keep clear of the Leviathan, however, due to its staggering cost. In CC, it's not much more killy that an normal dread, and it loses those attacks if you want to give it guns. Also, buying those guns pushes it past 300 pts. Once you're at that cost, you're directly competing with Super Heavies like knights. If you give it 2 guns, it's a whopping 325pts, which is the same as a Knight Gallant.

a buddy of mine has multiple mortis contemptors with dual TLLC...stupid expensive, but it's death on tanks and aircraft.  The contemptors in general fit into 30k because you can't put a squadron of more than one dreddy into drop pods...so if you're podding your walkers, might as well upgrade them.  I'm not particularly sold on the squadrons anyway...walking out of your deployment zone with AV12 and a DCCW means you''re not going to live long enough to do anything with that S10 AP2 weapon...it's just too dangerous to let it live!  Maybe squadrons of hellfire dreadnoughts (TLLC and ML) hanging out in your deployment zone might be a relatively decent choice without being at the top of the enemy kill list.  

Personally, I like a dual-fist contemptor in a pod with dual heavy flamers...it drops, it flames twice, then the enemy HAS TO deal with it before it starts ripping tanks apart.  Between the casualties inflicted with the dual flamers and the attention that it draws away from the rest of your list on turn 2, it's not the worst use of points.  It could, for example, allow a spartan to close and disgorge ten termies by drawing fire away...

I agree with frostbite re: leviathan, it just costs too many points. Go for a contemptor with dual kheres or a fist and whichever gun, and get a lucius drop pod for him if you go for combat or close range shooting.

TCOTH

it would be bad on the right table, its very much like the ironclad its an expensive but potentially violent derpstrike warrior

Thanks for all the input brothers !!!! So I might just go for multiple magnetized loadout on the BaC contemptor ( has anyone done it ? ) to be an all rounder. I really wanted the leviathan to work, and the model is so cool, but yeah, further research on this topic made it clear that it's way too expansive for what it does .... Might go for the deredeo, or maybe a FW flyer ??

Also, is a FW droppod mandatory for the contemptor ?? Or can I go with the regular one ??

Decisions decisions ....

Thanks for all the input brothers !!!! So I might just go for multiple magnetized loadout on the BaC contemptor ( has anyone done it ? ) to be an all rounder. I really wanted the leviathan to work, and the model is so cool, but yeah, further research on this topic made it clear that it's way too expansive for what it does .... Might go for the deredeo, or maybe a FW flyer ??

Also, is a FW droppod mandatory for the contemptor ?? Or can I go with the regular one ??

Decisions decisions ....

you can take a regular pod but you need to take it as a FA slot

Decisions decisions ....

Decisions decisions ....

I'm a little confused by your response, aura.  What is a "regular pod?"  I wasn't aware of any drop pod that can hold a dreadnought that can be taken as a fast attack choice...well, maybe some of the 30k variants that act as skimmers after they arrive?

The GW plastic drop pod is much smaller than the forgeworld dreadnought drop pod, it makes a significant difference in terms of finding a large enough patch of tabletop to land it on, and in terms of scattering off the table.  They are not interchangeable.  A good compromise would be to use the plastic one, but mount it on a base that is the diameter of the FW dreddy pod.  That avoids getting any competitive advantage from the smaller pod while saving $$$.

Decisions decisions ....

Decisions decisions ....

I'm a little confused by your response, aura.  What is a "regular pod?"  I wasn't aware of any drop pod that can hold a dreadnought that can be taken as a fast attack choice...well, maybe some of the 30k variants that act as skimmers after they arrive?

The GW plastic drop pod is much smaller than the forgeworld dreadnought drop pod, it makes a significant difference in terms of finding a large enough patch of tabletop to land it on, and in terms of scattering off the table.  They are not interchangeable.  A good compromise would be to use the plastic one, but mount it on a base that is the diameter of the FW dreddy pod.  That avoids getting any competitive advantage from the smaller pod while saving $$$.

hes asking if he HAS to use the forgeworld drop pod as a transport or can he ride in the normal drop pod instead. while there isnt any ruling regarding this matter to my knowledge that would technically mean you could buy a fast drop pod taking up a slot and have a contempor ride in it to the battlefield. he has to take a lucius if he wants one free of a CAD slot  but outside of that the regular pod is fair game

Leviathan from what I've heard especially on /tg/ is that it's a waste. It looks cool, it plays cool, but it gets shot to pieces as is often the fate of those big bad scary models and it's a major point sink. A dorito meanwhile is CHEAP (emphasis on cheap), powerful AA that functions like a turret. Any bird that enters its radius of fire is going to live long, so if your meta likes aircraft (heldrakes?), a deredeo is probably a good purchase.

Decisions decisions ....

If you're going to drop cash, don't get the BAC Contemptor unless you also want to buy the set and everything else in the box (which I recommend, the MK IV is cheap and looks gorgeous). The BAC contemptor has a really bland pose and I'm not even sure if you can magnetize it. I'm just building an army so I can't compare a resin contemptor to the plastic one, so I'm not sure if it's compatible with FW weapons.

Leviathan from what I've heard especially on /tg/ is that it's a waste. It looks cool, it plays cool, but it gets shot to pieces as is often the fate of those big bad scary models and it's a major point sink. A dorito meanwhile is CHEAP (emphasis on cheap), powerful AA that functions like a turret. Any bird that enters its radius of fire is going to live long, so if your meta likes aircraft (heldrakes?), a deredeo is probably a good purchase.

Decisions decisions ....

If you're going to drop cash, don't get the BAC Contemptor unless you also want to buy the set and everything else in the box (which I recommend, the MK IV is cheap and looks gorgeous). The BAC contemptor has a really bland pose and I'm not even sure if you can magnetize it. I'm just building an army so I can't compare a resin contemptor to the plastic one, so I'm not sure if it's compatible with FW weapons.

its compatible with fw weapons by magnetizing it will be tricky, the arm grooves are half spheres so implanting the magnet right will be a careful job.

anyway the kit is totally unposeable and actually shorter then the forgeworld model, also you cant swap his hand bolters for anything else

Well, i'm getting the BaC box anyways to make my full company, so might as well do the most with the contemptor dread in it :) 

But yeah, the pose they made him take suck a lot, wonder if there's tricks to give him a different pose ... 

Anyway, gonna buy some weapons from FW, and make the most of it :) Too bad for the Leviathan, really had high hopes for him. I'll probably use my contemptor as a mortis most of the time anyways, so the deredeo is a bit redundant. 

I'm gonna take a look at the flyers, maybe another knight ? Or why not go the whole way and take a fellbalde hahaha ...

Decisions decisions ....

Decisions decisions ....

hes asking if he HAS to use the forgeworld drop pod as a transport or can he ride in the normal drop pod instead. while there isnt any ruling regarding this matter to my knowledge that would technically mean you could buy a fast drop pod taking up a slot and have a contempor ride in it to the battlefield. he has to take a lucius if he wants one free of a CAD slot  but outside of that the regular pod is fair game

Ah, I see.  It's a really big and problematic inconsistency between GW and FW.  The codexes just say "you can has a drop pod for your walker," but doesn't differentiate between standard 10-12 man personnel drop pods and dreddy drop pods in size or price.  FW does make a dreddy pod that's much larger (as it should be, you couldn't close the doors on the standard drop pod even if you could fit the dreddy through a door, which you can't), IT COSTS MORE!!!

So if you ignore FW, there's neither a problem with using the regular plastic drop pod kit for a dreddy pod, nor any alternative. If you look at the size and shape of the model itself, it's absurd, but it's totally legal.  I'd expect my opponents to base their plastic drop pods that are being used for dreads on at least something pie-plate-sized (for purposes of having room to land and possibly scattering off the table, it really matters), and wouldn't fuss about the points cost difference.  

Decisions decisions ....

Decisions decisions ....

Ah, I see.  It's a really big and problematic inconsistency between GW and FW.  The codexes just say "you can has a drop pod for your walker," but doesn't differentiate between standard 10-12 man personnel drop pods and dreddy drop pods in size or price.  FW does make a dreddy pod that's much larger (as it should be, you couldn't close the doors on the standard drop pod even if you could fit the dreddy through a door, which you can't), IT COSTS MORE!!!

So if you ignore FW, there's neither a problem with using the regular plastic drop pod kit for a dreddy pod, nor any alternative. If you look at the size and shape of the model itself, it's absurd, but it's totally legal.  I'd expect my opponents to base their plastic drop pods that are being used for dreads on at least something pie-plate-sized (for purposes of having room to land and possibly scattering off the table, it really matters), and wouldn't fuss about the points cost difference.  

yes well they claim two leviathans and 20 marines fit inside a mastadon, i assure you that you couldnt fit them into that mastadon at all, nor culd you fit 10 marines into a rhino

You'd be surprised at how many soldiers in full battle gear can cram into the tightest of spaces.  I might even go as high as 12 marines for the capacity of a rhino...four rows of three, seated with interlocking knees, if you put benches down the middle, in addition to the ones along the side.  If you open the top, even more of them would fit standing up...still three sitting along each side, but eight or ten standing up in the hatch wouldn't be much of a stretch. 

Well, i'm getting the BaC box anyways to make my full company, so might as well do the most with the contemptor dread in it :) 

But yeah, the pose they made him take suck a lot, wonder if there's tricks to give him a different pose ...

There's a thread in the Age of Darkness sub-forum dedicated to Betrayal at Calth conversions. People have done incredible things by cutting through the hip and waist joints to allow reposing.

Archived