Kastelan Conversion Ideas

Tyriks

So, I want to get some Kastelans in my army, but I'm not particularly fond of the models (or of the price tag associated with using Forge World 30k substitutes).  So, I want to try to either scratch build something (a daunting task) or customize the existing models.  I have never tried any conversions before, beyond reforming a Chaos biker back to the side of the Imperium.  Has anyone built or customized some Kastelans I could look at for ideas?  Or is anyone aware of bits or pieces from other sprues that would look good on a Kastelan?  I think I'm leaning towards just customizing the models (unless I find a scratch build option that would save me money, since I'm on a tight 40k budget right now).  I've tried searching around but haven't found much.  Thanks for any suggestions!

Not sure what models you can use instead aside from the obvious 30K ones, but if you are looking for conversion ideas have a look at these that I did for my army, obviously the Dwarfs would not be on theme for you but a pilot instead of a faceless helmet could be an Idea. I intend to have my 30k Archmagos on Abynet be a hollowed out Kastlean with the Archmagos as pilot/heart.

Kastelan 3

Kastelan 2

Kastelan

Not the easiest to see but these are the only pictures I have to hand, on three the head has been removed and a dwarf modeled in as pilot (one standing, two sitting (well standing with feet cut of to make them stand lower in the chest)). The fourth one I hollowed out the helmet and put a dwarf head looking out.  

Looking further afield a striped down Dreadnought might be the general right size and look. I haven’t actually worked on a plastic dread only metal ones (aside from the one in the starter set), so I don’t know how versatile or adaptable they would be. Would also be a bit more expensive.

Penitent Engine might work in terms of size and look, but would require more work so as to make the heretic some form of servitor. I also recall the local Sister Player saying that they are a pain to assemble.

Sentinels could work for all gun Kastelans.

Ork walkers are probably to irregular to pass as Mecanicus, and Crisis Suits to far from the imperial look.

Centurions are probably to small. 

I really like your piloted ones! It would fit really well with my Forge World's fluff, also. You say they are standing up in the chest cavity? I wish I had some models on hand to look at. That is seriously a great idea, though!

Wargame Exclusive have conversion heads for the Kastellans. Take them from a Robbie the Robot look to something more appropriate for the Mechanicus.

http://wargameexclusive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Adeptus-Mechanicus-Kastelan-Robots-1.jpghttp://wargameexclusive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Adeptus-Mechanicus-Kastelan-Robots-3.jpghttp://wargameexclusive.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Adeptus-Mechanicus-Kastelan-Robots-5.jpg

I really like your piloted ones! It would fit really well with my Forge World's fluff, also. You say they are standing up in the chest cavity? I wish I had some models on hand to look at. That is seriously a great idea, though!

Yes. the chest consist of a front and back and is otherwise hollow. For a human sized pilot you probably just need the upper body arms and head. Its hard to say without the parts to play with but all I had to do with the dwarfs I used was remove the feet so that the height felt right. I also used a bit of greenstuff to hold the arms in the right place as the dwarf bodies a a little to fat for the opening, but a Skitarii or servitor (breacher) torso should be fin enough to fit the arms however you want them, inside or out. 

I really like the look of that head, and I had thought about that, but I don't think it would fit as well for my fluff, unfortunately. I am super eager to try out the pilot idea, though!

A really simple conversion is to rotate the kastellan head 180 degrees and sink it further in the torso. You're left with a smooth domed head without any silly faces on it.

Not sure what models you can use instead aside from the obvious 30K ones, but if you are looking for conversion ideas have a look at these that I did for my army, obviously the Dwarfs would not be on theme for you but a pilot instead of a faceless helmet could be an Idea. I intend to have my 30k Archmagos on Abynet be a hollowed out Kastlean with the Archmagos as pilot/heart.

Not the easiest to see but these are the only pictures I have to hand, on three the head has been removed and a dwarf modeled in as pilot (one standing, two sitting (well standing with feet cut of to make them stand lower in the chest)). The fourth one I hollowed out the helmet and put a dwarf head looking out.  

Looking further afield a striped down Dreadnought might be the general right size and look. I haven’t actually worked on a plastic dread only metal ones (aside from the one in the starter set), so I don’t know how versatile or adaptable they would be. Would also be a bit more expensive.

Penitent Engine might work in terms of size and look, but would require more work so as to make the heretic some form of servitor. I also recall the local Sister Player saying that they are a pain to assemble.

Sentinels could work for all gun Kastelans.

Ork walkers are probably to irregular to pass as Mecanicus, and Crisis Suits to far from the imperial look.

Centurions are probably to small. 

THOSE DWARVES ARE PERFECT.

Especially the Data-Smiths, what are they made from? I'm thinking of making my 30k Mechanicum Squat Based :P

THOSE DWARVES ARE PERFECT.

Especially the Data-Smiths, what are they made from? I'm thinking of making my 30k Mechanicum Squat Based tongue.png

Thanks

I can see Dwarfs working well as tech-tralls. smile.png

Kitbash of Skitarii and Cult Mech kits with Fantasy dwarfs. Mainly Irondrakes/Ironbreakers kits for the rank and file models. I am also using the Hammerers/Longbeards and Gyrocopter/Gyrobomber kits for variety and extra bits. Oh an a lot of greenstuffs to make the arms work. Human scale arms are ill-suited for dwarf bodies.

For the Datasmith I used parts from two Grimm Burloksson (one body and head, two pointing arms (hands replaced with other bits) and powerfist arms.

The reaming parts and one Belgar Ironhamer made my two Tech Priests.

Have a look at the link in my signature for some more pictures.

Edit 02.04.16: GW seems to have changed the names of the Dwarfs Characters on their website since I posted this (as I used their website to double checked the names of the units I used when I posted). So Its now Cogsmith and Warden King instead of Grimm and Belgar respectively.

Absolutely love those conversions, Trokair!  While I'm in the minority in liking the "classic retro" look of the GW Kastelans, I can certainly respect a creative conversion like that one.  Any chance those beasts are getting painting soon?

Thanks,

They, along with the rest of the army, have revived the holy black spray paint, as well as the first layer of metal paint. I hope to have some more pictures to add to the gallery in the next month or so.

I don't mind the normal Kastelan, and might use it when I do some Ad Mech Allies for my Imperial forces, but the dwarf pilots helped to add that different flavour I was going for with this project.

Archived