It's been a looooooong time coming, but....My WIP thread!

marvmoogy

Well, this little project has been a very long time coming....like over 3 and a half years long time...

But, finally, I have painted Dark Angel minis to share with you all!

The planned project is still as it was way back when, but this time, instead of some Deathwing to support my Battle Company, I thought I'd work my way through the whole Deathwing! So far we have 25 terminators painted and I have a further 30 - 35 here ready and waiting to go.

Bases still need to be done and I'm not sure what to do here...I'm thinking sandy to fit in with Azrael & the other characters at the front but we shall see.

Anyway, without further ado...

Army

gallery_71376_11884_384934.jpg

Close ups

gallery_71376_11884_117644.jpg

gallery_71376_11884_838390.jpg

Contemptors

gallery_71376_11884_47804.jpg

Belial

Sword

gallery_71376_11884_575333.jpg

Lightning claws

gallery_71376_11884_149525.jpg

TH&SS

gallery_71376_11884_715202.jpg

And a picture of his back. I magnetised Cypher's sword on to his back as, to me, the Sword of Silence is a badge of office, so he'd take it with him regardless of what he is fighting with!

gallery_71376_11884_310238.jpg

- oh yeah, still need to do a little something around those bullet holes in the cape!

Anyway, after years of promises, here they are!

I knew I'd get there one day, just other projects kind of took over things.  Now the GKs are all but done and the Wolves are on the home stretch, it gives me time to prioritise these guys.  

I'm hoping that I can get another 4 squads sent off to Mr Paint Man within the next month and then see how he gets on with them.  It'd be nice to try and get this done at a much faster rate than the other projects...depending on when FW release a DA-Contemptor...

I've managed to trim down the Calth power sword arm enough to get a smooth finish at the join with the storm shield.

The angle from the arm to the hand isn't perfect, but the way the model is posed means that it isn't going to be too noticeable, especially in the display case or on the table top...you have to be giving it a good look to notice it and it'll be less of an issue when the shoulder guards go on him!

I've managed to find a FW cataphractii left arm that I can use with another shield (when I get some, I've ran out of spares!) and have been experimenting with the other arms from the BaC kit. The chainsword showed promise but just didn't give enough of a smooth join so I've binned that idea...I may have to order a FW kit just for the arms at this rate :-(

Anyway, here's how the sergeant is looking at the moment.

PS - can you guess what's being worked on in the background? ;-)

gallery_71376_11884_13952.jpg

Nice try, but the knight is all done!

I'm working on the Dark Angel v Space Wolf Honour Dual. The DAs will all be sandy based their fit in with the theme but all my wolves are snowy. The plan is to use the oval base as a half and half with the 2 marines on the bases styled as above. Think lame attempt at a FW character series base!

Cheers!

Still need to get a few bits for the diorama...I'm after a feathered helmet - ideally the one off the DV Company Master so will probably need to visit eBay at some point. I also want to keep the Space Wolf as close to the picture as I can so will need to hunt for a suitable head and shoulder pads.

As for the picture, if you haven't seen the one I mean, here it is:

gallery_71376_11346_88667.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well, time for another update!

I've been busy building away and now have 20 termies done (15 'tactical' and 5 with LC's) along with a Land Raider.  I've got a week to finish the cataphractii DWKs, 5 TH&SS and a Command Squad before I deliver them to the painter.  

That'll then be 60 Deathwing.  Oh how I'm trying not to think 'well, you only need 40 more.....'

Archived