Baal Scenic Bases

Hey everybody,

I'm thinking about using some corks to add a little something to my bases for my BA army and am looking for some suggestions/advice/examples of what you think would be a good way to model and paint the scenery after our legion's beloved(?) homeworld.

I've gotten off to a start by giving Dante a rock or boulder made from cork to be leaping off of and will probably find a way to get some sand involved and may reshape the current rock but I'm mainly struggling with how to paint it and what colors to use. I'm thinking a brown or tan of some sort, but what do you think?

Some red sandy rock would be the look I would go for if you wanted Baal. It's been described as rust-red deserts a few times I think. So generic mars landscape I would imagine. Almost entirely barren of vegetation, save for maybe some scrub grass, dull-green, to break the monotony. I would use dark, sorta dull reddish-brown if your going with the standard BA scheme with that very bright crisp red, for contrast.

I inadvertently made my Chapter's home-world a lot like Baal and they are modeled appropriately:

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/20151018_191410_zpsqpblfbx7.jpg

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah177/nevscorner/Snapchat-5800761978691619144_zpsbotq95kb.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions everybody!

I'm liking the idea of the Martian Ironearth technical paint at least for the majority of the base but I'm wondering if I use the cork to make some rocks and rubble and whatnot, what other paints I could use for that to give it a more smoother texture, or if the Martian Ironearth would work well for that as well. What do you think about that? Any other specific paints that anyone used in the past for a similar red or brownish color?

I like what you've done with yours, Charlo. What did you use for paints and techniques to get that red, specifically with the little rubble and sand/rocks you've got going on there?

Base sprayed black.

Two thick coats of iron earth, obviously letting them dry in between.

Add the rocks (army painter battlefield Brown for me).

Go over these with iron earth.

Drybrush with Tau Ochre for depth.

Agrax earthshade an area behind the rocks on one side, for a little shadow.

Paint the rim Doombull Brown.

Archived