How many Black Knights is too many?

Jazarith

Where is the line when you have too many Black Knights?  The way I use my Knights is as a way to draw fire from my other units, firstly.  They are very scary and can succeed in every phase of the game (I put a librarian on a bike with them for support, usually w a plasma pistol so he can get in on the elite hunting.)  I go after my opponents flanks and back lines with them and jink every turn if I have to to keep them alive and keep the pressure on.

This is the question.  How many Knights vs regular RW Bikes do you guys think is optimal for a 1500+ pt setting?

To answer my own question, and to show you where my mind is at, I'd say no regular bikers.  Instead run Attack Bikes with MM upgrades in minimum or 2 bike units.  Use them as vehicle hunters.  Take speeders with HB and Typhoon to deal with rank and file troops and shift gears to assist in finishing off vehicles and elite units as needed.  Thanks, in advance, for all the shared wisdom.

Too much BK is about 20...

Fluff wise in the RW there are about 20 veterans that are BK/RWCS...

I own one 6 men RWCS and two 6 men BK squads... total of 18... enough to respect the fluff...

usually i play 1 RWCS and 1 BK squad

when i play very big games (2500+) i field all 18 BK/RWCS

at the point where it compromises your ability to handle other targets. black knights are good but their worthless against hordes or anti tank, and grav guns and melta trikes and land speeders shouldnt be discounted because BK's are phenoms

As long as you have an HQ and an RWSS (Darkshroud and MM Typhoons) and two 3 man RWAS with Melta or flamers, melta bombs are good too. All the rest of your points could be on BK/CS bikers, there cannot be too many ;) .

The units mentioned above are good too but not really necessary for massed BKs. I did a counts as list of the above and played really aggressively vs. Tau and tabled my opponent in 3 turns, it can work but this is 40k, paper/sissors/rock can hurt or help...

Hordes are hard, but as you can't get locked it combat and are so mobile because you go straight through terrain, you can wolf-pack and attack with multiple squads against his blobs; so shoot heaps of plasma, charge in for 4 rending attacks each, weather the return attacks and hit and run away to maul another squad next turn.

Archived