Capt Carl's Works Log: 7/19 ETL vow almost done

Capt Carl

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum (long time lurker). I am overseas from my home right now. I jave a wife and a baby back ho,e that have prevented me from investing much time in painting for the last couple years but I have a chance for a few months now. I thought I'd start a log to show my progress and get encouragement to keep going. I have a similar thread on another site so many if you have seen me there this may be a bit repetitive.

Anyways, here's a couple things I've gotten done so far.

I bought an airbrush. I have painted a couple things so an airbrush before but really just base coats or primer. This was my first thing I would say I actually painted with an airbrush getting shadows, and highlights and such.

gallery_92955_11898_303177.jpeg

gallery_92955_11898_502462.jpeg

I'm not good at photos. You can't really see he color gradient here. I'll see if I can get better light some time for a better pic.

Here's my second airbrush work

gallery_92955_11882_62858.jpeg

gallery_92955_11882_395774.jpeg

Criticism and pointers welcome. I'm pretty tough so don't hold back. More to come. Hopefully I'll learn how to make black less boring.

Nice, are you airbrushing the infantry too?

Just primer and base coat. I tried to do a couple colors from brown to yellow on the terminators in an attempt to have the under areas darker, but it didn't really work out. I need a bit more practice. I don't know much about how to control my airbrush and different Air pressures and all that good stuff yet.

Is that knight free standing???

Your insane! Excellent work.

Yeah... I knocked it over once and broke an arm.... He needs a base, lol. He also needs heraldry. Some day I'll have some custom decals made (I'll do lots of things "someday")

So, I have a coat of arms I have made (I have it in vector form) for my Knightly House - House Kearoll

Please let me know what you think and if any of you have experience with making decals, any advice would be appreciated

both of them feature white so I will have to have a third party print them for me. The main place I know of for that is fallout hobbies. Hopefully the fees will be less since I can provide them my work already finished in vector form.

First is the Main coat of arms. It features the family crest along with a stylized imperial eagle with a more classical lookgallery_92955_11898_33376.jpg

The other part is a just the family crest in a simpler, single color for placement on the legs and shoulders

gallery_92955_11898_15535.png

I believe these can be shrunk and printed and still keep a recognizeabe appearance. Thoughts?

Couple more designs for my knight household.

gallery_92955_11898_50222.pnggallery_92955_11898_101568.png

Let me know what you think.

I'm also looking for anyone who has leftover White Aquila decals from the Imperial Knights sets they would be willing to sell. I a Renegade box but the decals in it aren't the color I need!

both of them feature white so I will have to have a third party print them for me. The main place I know of for that is fallout hobbies. Hopefully the fees will be less since I can provide them my work already finished in vector form.

Thing to remember with Fallout Hobbies: if it's not one of their stock designs, it's considered a custom sheet and, whether you provide the art or not, they'll charge higher custom rate.

Also, there are ways around the 'white ink' limitation of both clear and white decal paper.

Clear Paper: Where the white/color parts of the logo will appear, start with an underpainting of white, then follow normal decal application procedures.

White Paper: When setting up your decal file, add a layer under the logos of the same color as the paint it's going to appear on top of. After application, use your background paint to blend the edges of the white paper decal into the background.

Oh, and should you need it, I've got an Illustrator template for Knight decals, with scaled outlines for the various armor plates.

• 2 months later...

Little ETL update.

I'm working on a leviathan. The guns and the hunter killer missiles are magnetized. Should I make the right side yellow or black? I'm afraid the yellow is too boring but if I paint it black it loses its "fistiness".

gallery_92955_12051_418887.jpeg

gallery_92955_12051_278282.jpeg

I decided to paint it with a brush instead of airbrush and I am starting to regret the decision. Some of the larger areas are just hard to smoothe out with a brush

1)How did you do your designs? Photoshop?

2) I do like the second version better, actually, it looks better with the halberds I think.

_________

More of a remark for your notice because your designs have a nice historical vibe:

For a noble family, (like Knight Titan Households) I think, there wouldn`t be a thing as variations of coat of arms, at least in real european history.

That means until they married into another family, inherited new lands or dominion or rights or somehow ascent in their noble status

(like moving from the status of let`s say count to duke).

Then the old coat of arms would be replaced by the newer altered version, the former sigil would then appear only in documents

which predate this change of status.  Another thing are personal arms for different family members, which actually

can have their own personal type of insignia which incorporates the family insignia with some added elements.

So if you want to emphasize this aspect I suggest not to use two similiar coat of arms of different versions as long as they don`t show knights from two differnent points of time in 40k canon.

Just some thoughts to think about. :)

Those Imperial Fists with the black face plates look really striking. I may appropriate* that idea when I get round to painting my own later down the line.

*fancy word for shamelessly steal :D

1)How did you do your designs? Photoshop?

2) I do like the second version better, actually, it looks better with the halberds I think.

_________

More of a remark for your notice because your designs have a nice historical vibe:

For a noble family, (like Knight Titan Households) I think, there wouldn`t be a thing as variations of coat of arms, at least in real european history.

That means until they married into another family, inherited new lands or dominion or rights or somehow ascent in their noble status

(like moving from the status of let`s say count to duke).

Then the old coat of arms would be replaced by the newer altered version, the former sigil would then appear only in documents

which predate this change of status. Another thing are personal arms for different family members, which actually

can have their own personal type of insignia which incorporates the family insignia with some added elements.

So if you want to emphasize this aspect I suggest not to use two similiar coat of arms of different versions as long as they don`t show knights from two differnent points of time in 40k canon.

Just some thoughts to think about. smile.png

thanks for the input.

I used a program called InkScape. its a free vector art program. I actually finished the designs. You can see them here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/322629-custom-knight-decals-house-carroll/?do=findComment&comment=4401326

Those Imperial Fists with the black face plates look really striking. I may appropriate* that idea when I get round to painting my own later down the line.

*fancy word for shamelessly steal biggrin.png

Glad you like them. I stole the black trim myself when I started doing IF. I don't use a lot of red so as far as canon goes I lose a lot of the IF look but I like this color scheme.

Couple update photos of my leviathan. Just need to fix up the base, hit a couple details and do the weapons now. Then I can get back to my Marines and hopefully finish my vow before I became doomed to eternal shame.

med_gallery_92955_12051_48726.jpeg

med_gallery_92955_12051_247294.jpeg

med_gallery_92955_12051_136915.jpeg

The new version looks really cool Carl. The new wings are almost a game-changer I think.

The first two versions were cool too, but those are really legit!

I might have to check that programm out, is it difficult to learn?

The new version looks really cool Carl. The new wings are almost a game-changer I think.

The first two versions were cool too, but those are really legit!

I might have to check that programm out, is it difficult to learn?

It was pretty simple. It took a couple hours of tinkering and I watched some YouTube tutorials. The biggest issue is massive slowdown of you have an older rig and try to put too many graphics on a page.

I didn't do much of the art. Mostly found, colored, cropped and arranged clip art so that makes it a bit simpler. All in all I found it a pretty easy program. I rank lower on the cleverness scale than most and I still figured it out so it can't be too hard!

so progress on my ETL vow continues

Finished the leviathan. Well... I say tha but looking at the photo I see things I want to fix/add. The weapons are magnetized

med_gallery_92955_11882_142707.jpeg

med_gallery_92955_11882_27942.jpeg

Here are my characters in early phases. The captain is supposed to have a shield. I magnetized the arm (first time for that) and as soon as I can get a shield I'll make a magnetized arm for that too

med_gallery_92955_12051_217250.jpeg

And here are some arms!

med_gallery_92955_12051_105296.jpeg

I WILL get these off of my vow list befor it ends!

Mmmm.... Leviathan. Not entirely in love w the black right half of the chest (from a design perspective- you've executed it really really well) maybe a white 'fist' decal on there would work wonders. Your yellow is spot-the-heck-on and that base looks amazing. I don't usually go so 'static-grass-heavy' but you nailed it. Great stuff man, can't wait to see more!

Archived