New SM Psyker Disciplines: 1st Thoughts on BA use

Indefragable

Sorry, I know this is off topic, but jump infantry have hammer of wrath regardless of which phase they use their jump pack in.

No, only when they use their jump packs to charge.

Where does it say for electrodisplacement that you can use on enemy units? Blessings can't be cast on enemies.

It can't be used on enemies no. I think the original reporter misread that.

From the leak thread:

Ooo just thought doing the switch-a-roo with Scouts that had infiltrated with DC...

EDC

Shenanigans

1. Take LOTS OF DreadnoughtS equipped for close combat
  2. Place THEM ALL on a Shyshield
  3. Deploy Librarian with 24"
  4. Cast Shifting Worldscape and move the Skyshield 24" towards the enemy (note that if your Dreadnought has a magna grapple, it automatically passes any Dangerous Terrain test it is required to make)
  5. Pull off a first turn charge.

FTFY.

The Blood-Rain Pattern Dreadnought transport pad. 

Just the visual of that is so brilliant.

A circle of librarians surround Mephiston as he glows with power. 5 Dreadnoughts whirr about on top of a sky shield as he raises his hand and it floats towards the enemy, shots pinging off it's force field. The Shield lands and the Dreadnoughts proceed to have a blood talon party all over the enemy.

Just the visual of that is so brilliant.

A circle of librarians surround Mephiston as he glows with power. 5 Dreadnoughts whirr about on top of a sky shield as he raises his hand and it floats towards the enemy, shots pinging off it's force field. The Shield lands and the Dreadnoughts proceed to have a blood talon party all over the enemy.

It is an awesome mental image. 

The thing to remember, however, is the wording of the rule says "place in an open space on the table."  I think people will learn very quickly to use lots and lots and lots of small fortifications and pieces of terrain to clutter up the board, leaving little "open" space on the board. 

It wouldn't surprise me if GW has a push for terrain and fortifications right around the corner, what with these type powers and many of the head-scratcher bonuses that show up in the Sternhammer Detachment (lots of +1 Damage to buildings and such....above and beyond the normal IF Chapter Tactics)

I wouldn't call the IF stuff a head Scratcher. They are the Loyalist Siege marines, it's what they do. It's just a fluffy semi-throwaway bonus. Wouldn't expect it as a foreboding of Terrain releases :P

Onto Psy powers though, upon second read it certainly is a mixed bag. But there is a lot of synergy.

In particular I'm seeing real synergy with my own drop pod forces.

Technomancy:

Librarian Dreads and Librarians in Meltacide can have some fun with Technomancy. Pair two pods up containing this and you can either buff the dread, take over enemy vehicles or even totally end another's life with all of the melta and haywire hits! Not to mention power 6 that just does straight up D3 hull points and rending hits on nearby enemy units! Even if you only get blessing of the machine you can buff your deathwind pod for slightly more accurate templates. Extra T to some nearby DC could make ALL the difference too. Maybe a new case for podded death company or teleporting terminators?

Geokinesis:

A bit more meta in application. Drop podding in and making a chunk of your opponents deployment zone dangerous terrain or make it so an enemy cannot run, flat out or turbo boost, plus in dangerous terrain can really hamper some movement plans early game. Earthblood will keep the psyker alive, or any other characters you may deep strike in but is otherwise a little useless to us. Ignore cover on podding melta is an obvious boon, as it is on anything else we may have. Moving terrain around in the enemies zone can also lead to some hilarity.

Librarius:

Other than veil of time, a pretty meh discipline in my opinion with a very broad mix of powers - clearly designed to be taken enmasse in a vanilla conclave to get the good stuff. Not many of our units have inbuilt invulnerable saves, so they'll just be ignored. Null Zone is situational but can see some use in deathstar decapitation. Moreso than any other marines could we orchestrate a first turn maneuver of:

• Pod in Meltacide and blow up transport
  • Null Zone Enemy death Star
  • Vindicator the stranded unit who will most likely now be on a 6++

A lot of ifs there, but could be devastating. Mephiston won't really ever get much from this, even if he does get Might of Heroes. He'll still be stick at ap3 with no invuln.

Fulmination:

The Discipline that has everyone raging, and for good reason That 6 power is sneakier than a scout with stealth buffs. Other than the infinite set-up possibilities of the ol' switcheroo the discipline is quite well rounded. The shooting attacks let off a lot of dice to ensure they do something and the combat buff is mid level with the potential for more dice hilarity. Electroshield is useful, but unless you are Mephiston it's not particularly needed, as I doubt anyone wants their psyker tanking the big hits. We are familiar with our own wings power and this just goes the extra 6 inches. Haywire on a nova certainly has some major uses against Gladius' and the like too.

Personally - I still really like Sanguinary, although this is mainly for quickening's versatility and the chance of DC with a 5++ or an extra attack. Really only blood boil is a traditionally bad spell and that can decimate hordes.

I think Mephiston is in a weird place and none of the disciplines cry out to him. He's still better off trying to get Sword/ Quickening/ Force in my opinion.

Otherwise though, I'll certainly be taking Technomancy for a run as well as Fulmination. If not I have a wonderful image of a Terminator Squad with allied Librarius conclave with storm shields attached to provide an unkillable unit outside of the D.

I wouldn't call the IF stuff a head Scratcher. They are the Loyalist Siege marines, it's what they do. It's just a fluffy semi-throwaway bonus. Wouldn't expect it as a foreboding of Terrain releases tongue.png

Onto Psy powers though, upon second read it certainly is a mixed bag. But there is a lot of synergy.

In particular I'm seeing real synergy with my own drop pod forces.

Technomancy:

Librarian Dreads and Librarians in Meltacide can have some fun with Technomancy. Pair two pods up containing this and you can either buff the dread, take over enemy vehicles or even totally end another's life with all of the melta and haywire hits! Not to mention power 6 that just does straight up D3 hull points and rending hits on nearby enemy units! Even if you only get blessing of the machine you can buff your deathwind pod for slightly more accurate templates. Extra T to some nearby DC could make ALL the difference too. Maybe a new case for podded death company or teleporting terminators?

Geokinesis:

A bit more meta in application. Drop podding in and making a chunk of your opponents deployment zone dangerous terrain or make it so an enemy cannot run, flat out or turbo boost, plus in dangerous terrain can really hamper some movement plans early game. Earthblood will keep the psyker alive, or any other characters you may deep strike in but is otherwise a little useless to us. Ignore cover on podding melta is an obvious boon, as it is on anything else we may have. Moving terrain around in the enemies zone can also lead to some hilarity.

Librarius:

Other than veil of time, a pretty meh discipline in my opinion with a very broad mix of powers - clearly designed to be taken enmasse in a vanilla conclave to get the good stuff. Not many of our units have inbuilt invulnerable saves, so they'll just be ignored. Null Zone is situational but can see some use in deathstar decapitation. Moreso than any other marines could we orchestrate a first turn maneuver of:

• Pod in Meltacide and blow up transport
  • Null Zone Enemy death Star
  • Vindicator the stranded unit who will most likely now be on a 6++

A lot of ifs there, but could be devastating. Mephiston won't really ever get much from this, even if he does get Might of Heroes. He'll still be stick at ap3 with no invuln.

Fulmination:

The Discipline that has everyone raging, and for good reason That 6 power is sneakier than a scout with stealth buffs. Other than the infinite set-up possibilities of the ol' switcheroo the discipline is quite well rounded. The shooting attacks let off a lot of dice to ensure they do something and the combat buff is mid level with the potential for more dice hilarity. Electroshield is useful, but unless you are Mephiston it's not particularly needed, as I doubt anyone wants their psyker tanking the big hits. We are familiar with our own wings power and this just goes the extra 6 inches. Haywire on a nova certainly has some major uses against Gladius' and the like too.

Personally - I still really like Sanguinary, although this is mainly for quickening's versatility and the chance of DC with a 5++ or an extra attack. Really only blood boil is a traditionally bad spell and that can decimate hordes.

I think Mephiston is in a weird place and none of the disciplines cry out to him. He's still better off trying to get Sword/ Quickening/ Force in my opinion.

Otherwise though, I'll certainly be taking Technomancy for a run as well as Fulmination. If not I have a wonderful image of a Terminator Squad with allied Librarius conclave with storm shields attached to provide an unkillable unit outside of the D.

Good further analysis. Mine was sort of a one-time read through and the first thoughts. I am sure we, and the community at large, will unlock some truly unique strategies with these new ones.

What I like about Technomancy is that it really compliments existing strategies. The Primaris ("why you hitting yourself?") is hilariously awesome: make that Knight shoot a buddy before killing it! AV14 Dreads, +1T Assault Termies or DC or SG, etc...

Fulmination has some great uses, obviously.

Overall, I think the case is stronger than ever for taking an allied Librarius Conclave (White Scars, for some H&R). Maybe Mephy and Libby-Dread as well to really dominate the psykery.

So I play tested the libraries conclave versus tyranids today. 3x lvl2 jp Libby's in a sanguinary gaurd squad with priest rolling on Librarius, fulmination and geo. I didn't roll anything game breaking except veil for the second game.

Veil on those guys essentially made him not bother shooting them. And firing off the primarus and witchfires can really horde break.

Great disciplines really rate them. Geo is very underwhelming versus nids with the majority having move through cover, but I was going for that shifting world scape lol

R

Archived