Cataphractii Deathwing?

librisrouge

I was wondering if anybody had seen the Angels of Death supplement and can answer a quick question. Can Deathwing don cataphractii terminator suits? Seems like a very 1st Le Chapter thing to do but I don't know. I'd like to add some terminators to my IG, as allies, but I want the old school suits.

From what I've read, only thing we (DA) get out of Angels of death is the psychic powers I'm afraid.

Why they don't just call Grim Resolve a 'Chapter tactic' and let us play with the new toys too I'll never know.... but may try to convince my gaming group that it counts :)

From what I've read, only thing we (DA) get out of Angels of death is the psychic powers I'm afraid.

Why they don't just call Grim Resolve a 'Chapter tactic' and let us play with the new toys too I'll never know.... but may try to convince my gaming group that it counts :)

Don't forget about the deathwing rule ;)

I'm not sure why you would. I'd like to use the models for variety, but you lose too much for the 4++. No overwatch, DW twinlink on ds anyway and storm bolters are more effective over 12". Plus you can't mix and match assault loadouts. I'd rather use them as standard termies.

First it says any squad called Terminators/Assault Terminators (our terminators are called Deathwing Terminators both on the unit and what is in the unit..,) 2nd it also only shows Space Marines faction symbol on the top of the pages for Cat TDA Cap (which also states "Captains" in it's section for how to use them, on the page before the data sheets, which DA only have Company Masters, not captains,) Cat TDA squads, and Contemptor...

So we can't by the rules (I am sure people will let you house/special rule it but by the normal rules we can't sadly....)

The only thing we get from Angels of Death is the new Psychic Disciplines. So you don't need to buy the supplement, you can just buy the cards packet which comes with a handy "quick reference chart" card showing what all Adeptus Astartes codexes can use them, unless you want the book/also play Codex: Space Marines.

Also for those wanting a more definite source for this. On the GW website the page for buying Angels of Death supplement book
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Angels-of-Death
"

This 128-page softback supplement is designed for any Codex: Space Marines army. Included within:

- a guide to Strike Forces and Chapter organisation, including 4 Army List Entry datasheets and 14 Formations;
- background and organisation on White Scars, Imperial Fists, Iron Hands, Salamanders and Raven Guard Chapters, as well as their typical Strike Forces;
- rules for the Terminator Captain, Cataphractii Terminators and Contemptor Dreadnought;
- Warlord Traits, Relics and Tactical Objectives;
- four complete psychic disciplines available to Space Marines Librarians of all Chapters (including Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Grey Knights and Deathwatch)

"

Angels of Death makes no reference to Dark Angels, Blood Angels, or Space Wolves in the section for the new psychic powers.  So far the only thing saying that Dark Angels get to use the new powers is the reference card that comes with the cards.  So far I've seen nothing in the book for Dark Angels at all.

Angels of Death makes no reference to Dark Angels, Blood Angels, or Space Wolves in the section for the new psychic powers.  So far the only thing saying that Dark Angels get to use the new powers is the reference card that comes with the cards.  So far I've seen nothing in the book for Dark Angels at all.

it says any space marine army can use the psychic powers, not any codex:space marines faction. as a result anyone can use the magic tables, i threw this across the table to my store owner actually at the 30th anniversay and his interpretation is that any marine army (loyalist) has access to them with the exception of grey knights. in fact every marine army on table that day was using them and that includes wolves and blood angels 

it says any space marine army can use the psychic powers, not any codex:space marines faction. as a result anyone can use the magic tables, i threw this across the table to my store owner actually at the 30th anniversay and his interpretation is that any marine army (loyalist) has access to them with the exception of grey knights. in fact every marine army on table that day was using them and that includes wolves and blood angels 

Except that for crunch purposes, Dark Angels are not Space Marines.  They are a faction called "Dark Angels."  Similarly, Grey Knight, Blood Angels and Space Wolves are not "Space Marines" either, even though for fluff purposes, all these chapters are Astartes.  As noted by SnakeChisler, the psychic powers cards include a reference card that grants access to the four disciplines found in the Angels of Death supplement to 5 additional factions (Dark Angels, Space Wolves, Blood Angels, Grey Knights, Deathwatch).

Practically, however, I have to agree with twopounder.  Why would you want to give your Deathwing Cataphracti armour?  To do so would be to make Grim Resolve worthless, and if you are relying on the invulnerable save to save the entire squad, you either made a mistake somewhere or were outplayed.  I say, use your special Deathwing squad flexibility to throw in one TH/SS terminator to tank the odd armour-penetrating shot.  You also give up the ability to run, thereby losing the Deep Strike Battle Focus benefit of the Deathwing formation/detachment.  I am not sure than having twin-linked at 12" is better than two shots at 24" because you hit more than 50% of the time anyway, and besides, you get twin-linked on the Deep Strike (when you most likely really need it) anyway - and not just for the small arms.  Moreover, while Cataphracti Terminators add flexibility to Codex Space Marines (creating a close-range shooting unit that doesn't hit last in melee), Deathwing (and Wolf Guard) Terminators are already more flexible since they have better wargear options.

What he said^^^^^

Also, It is funny. The Angels of Death (only for C:SM,) supplement book itself doesn't say anything about the psychic powers being useable by other AA Codices.
It is only stated on the website page for the book that the other AA codices can use it, and in the Psychic Powers card pack for the new Psychic powers where it actually shows how the other AA codices can use them...

I wish we could have Tartaros Pattern TDA with Deathwing rule....
But sadly, also no. We can't have Tartaros pattern TDA rule Deathwing Terminators.
But if you want to see if your friends want to house rule it, try it out.

This is like in 5th edition. Dark Angels being famous for having an all Terminator 1st Company and for being the 1st Legion and all the other Space Marines have better Terminator Formations and better Terminators (Draigowing and Loganwing, anyone?). Guess we have to go DW CAD or DW Strike Force for a mostly DW flavorful force. That or go 30k.

Maybe next codex we'll get the love this Codex gave the Ravenwing. Deathwing Knights are fantastic, but in 10,000 years+ you would thing our Techmarines would have had to improvise for some situations. Things like fast, scout terminators, heavy support (Terminator Devastators anyone?), teleporting Land Raiders (has anyone figured out how we can take them with our Deathwing?). Dispite the anti-tech Imperium, Techmarines have been known to improvise. (See Razorbacks, Vindicators, etc)

Maybe next codex we'll get the love this Codex gave the Ravenwing. Deathwing Knights are fantastic, but in 10,000 years+ you would thing our Techmarines would have had to improvise for some situations. Things like fast, scout terminators, heavy support (Terminator Devastators anyone?), teleporting Land Raiders (has anyone figured out how we can take them with our Deathwing?). Dispite the anti-tech Imperium, Techmarines have been known to improvise. (See Razorbacks, Vindicators, etc)

I do not want to start this discution, but you can find here that it may be possible to DS LandRaider.

I suggest anyone interested do their own research on the subject.

anyone that want to discuss rule interaction and interpretation are welcome to PM me, i love rule discution.

Now, on The OP subject, I would love to see Cataphractii DW, having more option would be nice, even not so good option.

Vindicators are Great Crusade/ Heresy tech. Before the Mechanicum was too scared to put playing cards in the spokes of their BMXs

GW drew up concepts for this back in 2003-2005 when brainstorming new Space Marine units and weapons. Unfortunately none of them became anything.

http://i.imgur.com/UvJ8SGD.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/QiFdl7h.jpg

Yes that's a plasma blaster on the bottom guy, or rather a plasma blaster before they were a thing.

Archived