Command Squad advice

Helias_Tancred

I'm getting ready to build my Company Honor Guard aka Command Squad. I'm looking for advice on how to build it, possibly options or ideas I have not considered.

In the past for both my previous Blood Angels army, and my Crimson Fists, I went fluffy. Lots of combi-meltas, 1 melta gunner, apoth, champ, and standard bearer. That was the recipe for both previous armies. 

This time I'm open to different ideas. Unfortunately I do not have jump packs for them. I plan to run the Sanguinary Novitiate and the Company Champion because my captain is carrying Fury of Baal and a powerfist. 

Finally built them after going back and forth between shooty and CC. I went with the latter. A tough Honor Guard, with some melta capability and mostly CC. I've named them the Battling Bastards of Baal! They can take out big nasties, armor, and melee like champs.

Company Champion

Sanguinary Initiate

Veteran- melta gun, power fist, melta bomb

Veteran- inferno pistol, power sword, meltabomb

Veteran- Standard Bearer, plasma pistol, power sword, melta bomb

Captain- Artificer armor, Fury of Baal relic plasma pistol, power fist

In retrospect I think Blood Angel command squads are pushed towards CC because we have to take the champion, and initiate ... plus with our chapter tactics and Baal Strike Force trait .. I have Sternguard and one of my tactical squads is geared with plasma for more shooty needs.

Can't argue with the coolness of the loadout!

Why a fist on the captain and not valours edge?

Because that is the usual approach ;) ... I really like the Fury of Baal relic and the concept of a plasma pistol like that and a devastating weapon such as a powerfist really resonated with me. Plus I love our powerfist pieces. They look great. In the end I wanted to be different with my captain.

Helias tancred do you have a picture for us to see the coolness?

I'm waiting on the powerfist, it is the one from our tactical squad, to arrive from eBay. Then I will attach it and post a pic. My captain is a combination of the Blood Angels upgrade kit and the Space Marine Commanders box.

For what it's worth I also have a combat honour guard but they only come out to play during Apocalypse. The banner bearer has a powerfist and usually an assault weapon to compliment it. The other two both have power swords (although I had to swap one out for a flamer last game simply because he had gone walkabout...).

I have a dream of a Command Squad that has meltaguns and storm shields on the three Veterans a la the boarding shields from FW. It would look so darn good! I guess I can bide my time modeling the Champion until I can figure out how to procure three shields and matching arms for such an endeavour that makes financial sense.

I have a dream of a Command Squad that has meltaguns and storm shields on the three Veterans a la the boarding shields from FW. It would look so darn good! I guess I can bide my time modeling the Champion until I can figure out how to procure three shields and matching arms for such an endeavour that makes financial sense.

I've seen that configuration on these very boards a couple times. Certainly looks good!

Have you been playing WH40k long?

Having said that, Forgeworld sells an upgrade kit that comes with 6 boarding shields and some guns. That's what I used for mine (which I haven't built yet).

About 20 years. Took a break for 5th edition, got back into it about a year or so before 6th hit. BA all the way pal!

That upgrade kit is tits, I just can't justify spending almost $40 CAD for ultimately three shields.

Depending on your location, could these work?

https://m.facebook.com/VictoriaMiniatures/posts/881586508544479

Glorious! I can see the arm conversions already. Good call dude.

I've seen that configuration on these very boards a couple times. Certainly looks good!

I knew others had to have gotten to this idea before me. Ah well! At least I know it looks cool now biggrin.png

I knew others had to have gotten to this idea before me. Ah well! At least I know it looks cool now biggrin.png

Yeah, I've used the FW boarding shields for a plasma gun command squad

Those do look great!! I might just have to find someone in the local 30k scene...I know I'll do a good job modelling those other shields but I've been let down by the scale of off-brand products before.

Regardless of modelling techniques though, I feel like Mephy and a CS with three meltaguns with storm shields seems like a pretty multi use and survivable unit.

Yeah, those are meant as a Command Squad for Mephy. I opted for plasma guns as I already have a decent amount of melta on other units, and they go nice with Mephy's plasma pistol. Mephiston will be rolling on Biomancy, and depending on opposition and the powers rolled he'll split up to kill something on his own or stay with them. Especially the power that grants Relentless to the unit works nicely in concert.

Why do you need someone in the local 30k scene though? You can just order the boarding shields and arms as an upgrade kit:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Space-Marine-Boarding-Assault-Upgrade-Set?_requestid=23574052

Gives you enough shields to make 2 shooty command squads.

For my Honor Guard, rule of cool is what goes. That means, the older the better. So for me, it's 2nd edition models assemble:

gallery_60983_8363_13302.jpg

The quintet in front are my honor guard.. (The score in the rear are my 2nd edition Tactical Squad, stripped and rebuilt using newer boltguns and a Heavy Flamer..)

Look forward to painting these for the ETL (if approved..)

I have a shed load of those guys, I'm looking forward to painting them - second edition models get to be second company.

Although I'd swap the flamer in the command squad with the melta in the tactical to make a heavy flamer, flamer tac squad, and a 2melta command. 

Archived