Ravenwing Bike Squad - What do you use them for?

Requiemnex

Looking at the unit, i was thinking about using them for either a tank killing unit or to pluck out IC before they hit my main force.... The idea also came up to use them as "wounds" for a librarian, chaplain, or company commander on bike.

So forums, what do you use your bikers for?

I find that they are a great way to get some special weapons on the board.  I am a fan of multiple small units and give them grav guns.  Bikes have the relentless special rule so they can always fire grav guns at full range with 3 grav shots. 

I find that they are a great way to get some special weapons on the board.  I am a fan of multiple small units and give them grav guns.  Bikes have the relentless special rule so they can always fire grav guns at full range with 3 grav shots. 

How do you normally equip the sgt in that unit?

I agree with Epher. I usually run full bike squads with 2 Grav Guns and Combi-grav on the Sergeant with an attached attack bike with a multi-melta. If I'm not worried about Kill Points I just run min squads 3 bikes with 2 grav and combi grav on the Sergeant.

If I make a dedicated anti-tank unit I use a squad of attack bikes with Multi-meltas. The extra range on their Melta is well worth the points especially if you were planning to do a max size bike squad with Melta guns.

One of my favourite and most effective anti tank units is a Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 3 melta attack bikes and a Typhoon Speeder. If Im worried the bikes might get shot off the table at the start of the game (ignore jink or ignore cover weapons) and scouting is too dangerous I will outflank them.

The sergeant usually gets nothing. He is usually the first to die. You could give him a combi-grav if you have the points to spare. You could add another bike as a meat shield.

My standard RW bike squad is 5 bikes with 2 grav guns as a part of a RWAS with a heavy bolter/assault cannon 'speeder.

This formation is all about infantry hunting and has the tools to put shots into any type of infantry. I often leverage the +1BS on the bikes by combining with the fire from the 'speeder.

Sometimes I'll target a transport with the 'speeder & bikes then charge the bikes into the troops that came out of it (provided I busted the transport) for a nice one two punch.

I've tried various combinations for the sergeant from melta bombs, various power weapons, combi-weapons & to go veteran or not but for me, save maybe the melta bombs, the points just aren't worth it, he's just another ablative would for the special weapons.

Same with melta guns or plasma guns, I prefer squads of single melta attack bikes for heavy AV hunting instead of using melta gun bikes or attaching a MM attack bike & I just prefer grav over plasma on bikes. One day (if ever) when attack bikes can take grav cannons that'll be a different story!

The other half (although it's not really half in the armies I tend to use) of this formation is the 12" precision drop bubble they provide for any Deathwing I may be using, pretty cool.

@ Requiemnex

The answer to that question depends a great deal on the rest of your army.  And it also depends on what you expect to be facing.

In past editions the general thought was that RW bikes were 120 point teleport homer for DW... If they lived after the DW arrived, bonus... if not, who gives a crap they did their job, the DW is here.  I never felt that was a very good idea, because I would usually rip that DW list apart with my RW list.

In that RW list, by the way, the bikes had lots of roles. Primary was anti infantry... but they also carried a PF just in case I needed a can opener.  And then of course they would grab objectives.

Now a pure RW listing is probably our most competitive build.  We have access to melta, plasma, flamer and grav which all have their pros and cons depending upon the target you are facing.

Touching on what Epher said, the biggest advantage our bikes provide is the ability to get special weapons not just on the board, but ANYWHERE on the board.  Scout, outflank, and the free turbo boost they get with the Strike Force means that there is very little for the opponent to do that will stop you from getting your special weapons anywhere you want them to be very early in the game.

So my question to you is, what gives you trouble and why does it give you trouble?

Archived