Non dark angel characters joining our units

Jazzhands

Yes that would seem a practical fair way of dealing with it apart from the fact that once an IC joins a unit it is treated as one unit for all rules purposes ;)

Again its just not really covered I get this situation from running a Demi with a Ravenwing strike force If I didn't I'd just get steamrolled by Obj-Sec units and have struggled to play Maelstrom with pure Ravenwing.

Another 1 the Ravenwing Strike force has a no roll auto in on T2 if an IC joins the Command Squad then we've played it as he comes in automatically as well on the basis that there arriving from reserve but you've an auto pass for that unit.

If the Chaplain joins the Ravenwing unit is he automatically in as the unit has passed its arrived from reserve roll or should you roll for him independently with him not being part of the strike force?

There's been a load of discussion around this topic to do with the Skyhammer as heck though the reason for not allowing it in that case is it would make an OP formation completely broken (Draigo as a buddy springs to mind) 

Depends on how you try to read the rule for IC. Some people read the IC rule as it's not his unit, it's the unit's unit that the IC is now part of. By that line of thought he wouldn't ever make it that they land on spot. Even if they are a DA unit.

Honestly it would work because they are just a larger unit with more rules (but it stats that special rules aren't conferred over unless it says otherwise,) and factions combine in the sense that it's now a powerful unit like how multiple ICs combining make a powerful multi-character unit.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually would like certain things to work together, or more specifically that models don't lose rules that are defining of them, but also that they do not pass on such rules to other units which those rules are not defining of in any way.  The complete loss of Chapter Tactics among grouped SM ICs of different Chapters is the prime example, as it turns a unit of what should be archetypal heroes of their Chapters into Blue Power Ranger, Red Power Ranger, Green Power Ranger, etc., which is idiotic, but conversely the models in the combined unit shouldn't gain the benefits of all of the Chapter Tactics either, as that would also be idiotic.  This should be carried over to Formations form different Chapters, and even to Formations within the same Chapter, like Dark Angels, as some of their Formation rules are defining of the units they are composed of.  With regard to such rules, I do not think a sensible median between "all' and "nothing" is too much to ask for. Archetypal rules should usually work, but units that do not possess such features and join units that do, could prevent those units from doing their "thing".

I would hope this is just the first batch of preliminary FAQ answers, because there are many other important questions to address than just those we see presented in this collection. And, of course, errata should be issued for C: DA, C: SW, etc. that changes the language used in those codexes to correspond to that of C: SM, such that we know hoe Chapter Tactics works between them. As it is now, if an Ultramarine IC joins a White Scars IC, they both lose their Chapter Tactics, but if either of them joins a DA IC, they don't.  While it is ?$@#&%! stupid that they lose their defining rules feature in any case, it is even more stupid that this sort of discrepancy even exists between codexes that were written concurrently, as C: SM and C: DA were, let alone in one written after the other two, as is the case with C: SW.

GW has a dedicated fluff guru. They also need a dedicated rules guru whose job it is to make sure that anything written works with everything else.

Archived