To Rebuild a Chapter (DIY Log)

AceofCase

After falling out of the hobby due to life circumstances for the last few months, I've decided to finally jump back in. Since I began the hobby, I've always been fascinated with player created fluff and custom chapters. It was my goal from the beginning to create my own chapter, and then expand upon them as I collected and played. I've hardly been able to keep with one theme, color scheme, or rule set since then... but I'm currently trying to consolidate my entire collection into one coherent idea.

What I plan to do is to recreate the core of my force as my own custom Imperial Fist successor, and then branch out into pre-established successors of Dorn (as well as the Imperial Fists themselves) as auxiliary squads and units to my main force. I'd even like to expand into other armies of the Imperium later on, as I already own a small force of Guard and Space Wolves.

As far as the development of my chapter, all I have so far are the models, a basic color scheme, and a chapter symbol. I lack a concrete name or theme, but I'd like to get input from the community as I go about organizing this and sharing my progress with all of you.

Here are some first photos of a combat squad from 1st Squad, 4th Company in various stages of painting:

IMG 20160419 213918

IMG 20160419 213952

IMG 20160419 213824

IMG 20160419 213752

I'm still working on a few things. I need to decide on a technique for the helmet lenses and apply it, as well as decide on what style of company markings to do. I'm leaning towards using a helmet stripe much like the Revilers chapter uses, mostly to distinguish the colors from the Ultramarines (Despite mine being Sotek Green and Sycorax Bronze of course). Basing is also up in the air, as I haven't decided what colors to use for it. It'll be basic however... I don't think I've ever actually based a model yet...

The current goal is to get a basic Demi-Company painted, and then begin adding on extras from there. I have at least 6,000 points of Space Marines... so we may be at this for awhile.

This is awesome stuff! It's really rare to see people on these forums to make their own chapter and have people appreciate. Seeing a ton of projects that only have original foundlings is kinda boring :P Do you have any fluff you are working on for this army? I Assume you are building a demi-company. Are you going to include Cataphractii terminators or contemptor dreadnought now that they are available to us? I am looking forward to more of this project!

After falling out of the hobby due to life circumstances for the last few months, I've decided to finally jump back in. Since I began the hobby, I've always been fascinated with player created fluff and custom chapters. It was my goal from the beginning to create my own chapter, and then expand upon them as I collected and played. I've hardly been able to keep with one theme, color scheme, or rule set since then... but I'm currently trying to consolidate my entire collection into one coherent idea.
Rashbold: Life can be a beach, getting sand everywhere you don't want it. msn-wink.gif As for goals, so say we all brother.
What I plan to do is to recreate the core of my force as my own custom Imperial Fist successor, and then branch out into pre-established successors of Dorn (as well as the Imperial Fists themselves) as auxiliary squads and units to my main force. I'd even like to expand into other armies of the Imperium later on, as I already own a small force of Guard and Space Wolves.
Rashbold: Good plan. thumbsup.gif I'm doing the reverse, eventually hoping to work towards a DIY chapter. Yes, I'm one of those "boring" first foundingers.
As far as the development of my chapter, all I have so far are the models, a basic color scheme, and a chapter symbol. I lack a concrete name or theme, but I'd like to get input from the community as I go about organizing this and sharing my progress with all of you.
Rashbold: Those can be the hardest steps. Models first. Fluff second.
Here are some first photos of a combat squad from 1st Squad, 4th Company in various stages of painting:
Rashbold: [edit pictures for length] Nice! I like the smoothness of layers. My own problem is making them look like Clumpy McClumpity.
I'm still working on a few things. I need to decide on a technique for the helmet lenses and apply it, as well as decide on what style of company markings to do. I'm leaning towards using a helmet stripe much like the Revilers chapter uses, mostly to distinguish the colors from the Ultramarines (Despite mine being Sotek Green and Sycorax Bronze of course). Basing is also up in the air, as I haven't decided what colors to use for it. It'll be basic however... I don't think I've ever actually based a model yet...
Rashbold: Not sure on lenses. I use a really fine small technical brush, add lighter colour and then dab a darker shade at the edges. Sometimes I dare to put a pin spot of white to look like lense glare. Bases: have you seen the wonderful things being done with plain cork nowadays?
The current goal is to get a basic Demi-Company painted, and then begin adding on extras from there. I have at least 6,000 points of Space Marines... so we may be at this for awhile.
Rashbold: Bravo! Don't let the "big picture" overshadow you. The Imperium wasn't built in a day.

This is awesome stuff! It's really rare to see people on these forums to make their own chapter and have people appreciate. Seeing a ton of projects that only have original foundlings is kinda boring tongue.png

Rashbold: ...and what's WRONG with boring? tongue.png

I have a little bit of fluff in mind. The chapter was originally founded to prevent continued Xenos raids in a small sector in the Ultima Segmentum. (The friend that got me into 40k is an avid Dark Eldar player.) I already own one contemptor dreadnought, and have a Cataphractii Captain on the way. I may order some of the Cataphractii terminators tomorrow afternoon.

Either way, here's a small update. I actually made an attempt at edge highlighting an entire marine.

IMG 20160421 171050

IMG 20160421 171026

IMG 20160421 171038

I apologize for the extreme lighting... I'm slowly getting this whole photography thing figured out.

Digging the colour scheme, and I'm always supportive of seeing people realising their DIY on the tabletop. Will enjoy watching you develop these guys and bring then to life :tu: keep it up!

That blue scheme is very good. Its almost like the Alpha Legions one. Very nice. I'm very impressed with the edge highlighting, it's very well done in opinion. What are you going to put on your cataphractii terminators? I think I'm going get them with the special weapons set. Also, whats the name of your chapter?

That blue scheme is very good. Its almost like the Alpha Legions one. Very nice. I'm very impressed with the edge highlighting, it's very well done in opinion. What are you going to put on your cataphractii terminators? I think I'm going get them with the special weapons set. Also, whats the name of your chapter?

I think I'm going to go for a set up with 2 pairs of lightning claws, 2 power fists, a heavy flamer, and a chainfist. Unfortunately we can't take options besides what is in the Calth box... so no combi-weapons...

Small little update here... Figured I'd post a bit more before I finish up the tactical squad. I've been pretty busy this weekend... but I have managed to finish unpacking the rest of my 40k supplies. We should see some more progress over the next few days.

IMG 20160427 005610

I've been considering a chapter name... "Knights Vigilant" Thoughts?

Those are looking pretty solid dude! What color are you thinking of painting the eyes?

I was leaning towards red, but I think yellow might actually be the best... a good amount of contrast from the armor while also being just a little bit different than other color schemes.

Small little update here... Figured I'd post a bit more before I finish up the tactical squad. I've been pretty busy this weekend... but I have managed to finish unpacking the rest of my 40k supplies. We should see some more progress over the next few days.

I've been considering a chapter name... "Knights Vigilant" Thoughts?

Very nice! I am looking forward to your works.

I'm leaning towards using a helmet stripe much like the Revilers chapter uses, mostly to distinguish the colors from the Ultramarines (Despite mine being Sotek Green and Sycorax Bronze of course).

I think the green helmet stripe you've used on the newest MKIV Marine works well for this reason. Although the scheme is more of a teal, at first glance it did look a bit Ultramarine-y, especially with the Red helmet on the sergeant.

I'm leaning towards using a helmet stripe much like the Revilers chapter uses, mostly to distinguish the colors from the Ultramarines (Despite mine being Sotek Green and Sycorax Bronze of course).

I think the green helmet stripe you've used on the newest MKIV Marine works well for this reason. Although the scheme is more of a teal, at first glance it did look a bit Ultramarine-y, especially with the Red helmet on the sergeant.

I think it's now starting to lean rather Alpha Legion-y now with the green... but I actually kind of like it. You never know where they might be... Then again, that comparison would disappear the moment I start working on a different company than the 4th. Might dabble into some reserve companies later on. Either way, I'll have more time to finish this tactical squad tomorrow. Then it's on to their rhino!

Okay. Another update at last. 1st Tactical Squad is now finished, except for chapter markings. I think I'll come back to them later on... I can do more in a batch with the second tactical squad.

A few things though... My edge high lights are still a little thick... A combination of not using a fine enough point, but also not thinning my paint enough to easily flow off of the brush. I'm gonna adjust my wet palette here and see if that helps on the next squad. We're here to experiment and learn after all.

IMG 20160430 202655

IMG 20160430 201243

Still working on a name... But I think we're going to move on to the 2nd Tactical Squad. Some of them aren't eligible for the ETL, so I'd like to save my completely unpainted models such as 1st squad's Rhino for that.

Those yellow eyes are looking good on them man! You can always go back on top of your edge highlight with the base color to tighten up the lines a bit if you want. Looksl ike you're getting good progress! I'm still trying to build my assault marines and you're pumping them out! 

Archived