Countering Lords of War and Super Heavies

Chaplin Soren

Hi all

I'm considering entering a 1,850 point tournament in a few weeks, however since the tournament allows Lords of war I am a bit concerned that I wont be able to be that competitive.  Particularly since I never faced a super heavy tank or Imperial Knight before.

So what do you all think are the Dark angles best options/stratergies for countering Super Heavies??  short of buying one (which i can't afford)

The formation is the Ravenwing Strike Force.  Devastators are a decent way to get lots of heavy weapons on the board but the problem is that they have low mobility and your opponent knows that you have to camp them in some cover for them to be remotely effective.  He can easily plan a strategy for the game.

Attack bikes on the other hand can scout, turbo boost and outflank.  Throw a multi-melta on the bikes and you can bring some fear to the table as well as your army.  In the Ravenwing Strike Force you can turbo boost and it counts and jinking but you do not have to fire snap shots the next round.  This will allow you to move up to 36" in the first turn and allow you to put your bikes where ever you need them without having to put them in reserves.  Start at 12" from table edge, 12" Scout, 12" movement, 12" turbo boost, Next players turn and then move another 12" and unleash the melta fire!  I would recommend adding a Dark Shroud to your army if you want to turbo boost instead of fire.  This will bring your re-rollable jink save to a 3+ so you can use it instead of your armour save. 

It looks like ravening with metals would be my best bet, backed up by some devastators,  I already have all the models + there would be a bit of redundancy in such a build.  long term i'm thinking of adding a land raider of some sort to carry a few death-wing but i really miss the days when assault squads could carry melta bombs,  they used to be a bane for tanks,  even took out a monolith with them once 

Super Heavies always look daunting on paper but you will find they aren't so bad once you start playing a game against one. They can wiff just as bad as any other unit too.

When facing Knights you want to make sure you flank the shield. E.g when I drop in a Melta Drop squad I snake them around the Knight so a couple of Meltas are on 2 different facings that way they only get a 4++ vs half your shots not all.

You will find any form of melta is the most reliable way to get rid of a Super Heavy as an explode result removes an extra D3 hull points.

Lastly most Super Heavies you can just avoid and take out the rest of his army stopping your opponent from getting objectives.

I recommend the Ravenwing Attack Squadron formation over the Ravenwing Strike Force detachment if you're going for pure anti-super heavy.

The detachment has an HQ requirement which doesn't suit your desired role for Ravenwing in this instance (i.e. anti-super heavy). The turbo-boosting shenanigans are nice, but require you to not shoot for one turn, and with Outflank it's pretty easy to get the Attack Squadron where you need them. You obviously run the risk of fluffing your reserve rolls, but the uncertainty of when/where they'll arrive will get into your opponents head.

I'd suggest taking 3 x MM attack bikes and 1 x MM + Typhoon Land speeder. The 'Attack Squadron' rule will mean that your Attack Bikes are almost always shooting at BS 5 as well, which is important for those valuable multi-melta shots. Also don't forget to follow Solrac's advice about spreading out the models to shoot at Knights from different facings to minimise the effect of their Ion Shields.

2 builds stand out for comp play the pure Ravenwing

Ravenwing support squad

Ravenwing attack squad

Ravenwing Strike force

My 1850 list has 12 melta 2 rift cannon 6 rockets and a load of plasma

Your 2nd option is

Double demi

+

Some Ravenwing

Everyone has gone Grav happy with demi companies to deal with MC's you can ease the points down quite a bit by having melta

The problem with Ravenwing is no ob-sec and the proliferation of ignores cover

Oh and using a Librarian to make a super heavy (or super heavy unit) snap fire all game brings tears to you opponents eyes

Archived