Blackjack13's Dark Angel Kill-Team

Blackjack13

Cheers guys, I'm glad you like. I've always been a fan of the battle damaged look and it's pretty quick/easy with the sponging method. That being said I might end up eating my words when it comes to a full army...

Making the most of an otherwise mediocre Bank Holiday I was able to get the Scouts finished. The first ever White Dwarf I brought had the release of the metal Scouts in it (plus a load of awesome Gorkamorka bits... *scans Ork section of GW website*) and I've had a soft spot for them ever since. I think they've aged quite well and I'm planning on using them in my main force as well. They also scale up noticeably smaller than power armoured Marines, which is a nice touch and why they're on 25mm bases.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160531_000852_edit_edit_zpsyxfduyxv.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160531_000922_edit_edit_zpsilz3x2q0.jpg

They've turned out alright but not quite as nicely as I'd hoped. To be honest I was really struggling to find my painting groove yesterday and had to really work to get them finished. I'm still trying to get used to painting human skin/eyes.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I appreciate the support.

@marcusc - The green recipe is simple: VMC German Camo Dark Green built up to VMC Luftwaffe Green, applied with progressively lighter drybrushing to give the 'tank armour' effect. This is then given a wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade and black lined withed Citadel Nuln Oil. In hindsight I'd have done a starker transition to begin with and probably used VMC German Camo Extra Dark Green to improve the shadows, before the shame recipe and then maybe a lighter shade of green for edge highlighting. It would have just given them a bit more contrast and made them better to read at a distance.

They're for the Heralds of Ruin kill-team rule set, rather than the GW one. Link is the first post if you're interested. It adds the sort of depth generally only offered by skirmish games, which the official one does not. They've also just readjusted and updated the rules, which has me tempted to do a CSM force to juxtapose the Dark Angels.

Anyway folks, I had a bit of a disaster today priming the power armour Chaplain:

My Citadel white undercoat has given the model what only can be described as a fine sandpaper finish that is going to ruin any paint job I attempt. I have no idea what's caused it but the can is in the bin regardless. I really like the mini so don't want to scrap him. The only solution is to strip and start again.

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A PRODUCT THAT WILL STRIP PLASTIC MINIS WITHOUT DAMAGING THEM? PREFERABLY IN THE UK?

Typically I use acetone but that's known to melt them. I'm about to do some research, but I'd really appreciate any advice this community can give to try and save him.  Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

• 3 weeks later...

This thread's not dead!

Although I enjoy my new job I don't have anywhere near as much time to paint as I previously did, so apologies for the slow updates.

A big thanks to you three above; I tried a combination of the two and managed to save the Chaplain. When I redid him I used a new spray; Krylon Camo Black, and thought it had given this amazing finish, but the more I painted the more I realised it too had come out grainy. I should have listened to my gut and stuck with Tamiya Fine Surface! As such I stripped him again, this time from near completion, and am now waiting for the opportunity to try it a third time. To be honest this took a lot of wind out of my sails.

I have made some minor progress of his Terminator armoured form, but not enough to warrant showing here. I also got the power armoured head done:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160619_210343_edit_edit_zpsbyjll98o.jpg

Overall it's not bad but I'm not completely happy with it. I'm going to use the third priming of the models body as an excuse to get some alternatives painted up; I'll try them all and see what comes out best. I wish I could get hold of a decent looking skull helm, but bare will have to do.

Nice work! :)

If you're still looking for a skull helm, the Chaos Space Marine kit has a couple, and the Chaos vehicle accessory sprue also has a decent one.

//Edit: Forge World do some Night Lord heads which are modelled to resemble skulls - I'm sure you could get one on its own from a B&C member or a bits-seller?//

For priming, I use Halford's grey surface primer - it's never let me down. Hopefully the third time's the charm for you! ;)

Thanks mate; my dad used to use the Halfords stuff all the time without issue, so I might pick some up next time I need undercoat. I'm still waiting on another Tamiya grey to turn up, but I managed to lay the white down on Saturday in between rain storms and it went on well. You're Dark Angels look awesome by the way!

I got a few good hours down on the Chaplain yesterday and manage to lay down most of the base colours. I've got the grenades, weapon haft/wax and book mark to do, but otherwise he's ready to move onto the next stage. I can honestly say I'm not a fan of painting black though.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160626_211715_edit_edit_zpszbvi0ewa.jpg

Finally finished off the power armoured Chaplain and am able to start playing 40k again! If anyone is in or around Southampton and fancies a game drop me a message and we'll work something out.

He was a pain to photograph, and hasn't come out quite as well as I hope he would, but I don't feel the need to strip him for a fourth time. I'm calling that a win. 

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160703_114747_edit2_zpsqknrdhvp.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160703_115914_edit_zpsfkofpnb9.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160703_114144_edit_zpsustbygsl.jpg

It's hard to tell, but his right kneepad is green. I also went with a silver skull on his chapter symbol; with the Iron skull meant to be a badge of leadership I thought it fitting. I tried the skull helm that Major_Gilbear recommended above, but the piping put it at the wrong angle unfortunately. Now it's on I'm happy with the hooded head; fitting if I choose to run him as a Warden that he doesn't yet hold all the symbols of office.

I've still got the terminator armoured Chaplain to do; I'm hoping to finish him off over the next fortnight as I can now only paint at the weekend. I'll try and get a group shot then.

I managed to lay the white down on Saturday in between rain storms and it went on well.

Excellent - I'm glad to hear that! thumbsup.gif

You're Dark Angels look awesome by the way!

Thank you, very kind! blush.png

Finally finished off the power armoured Chaplain and am able to start playing 40k again! [...] I'm calling that a win.

He looks great - well done!

I tried the skull helm that Major_Gilbear recommended above, but the piping put it at the wrong angle unfortunately.

Ah, shame. Out of curiosity, which of the heads that I suggested did you try?

For what it's worth, I always liked the hooded head; I also understood why you wanted a skull-helm though.

I've still got the terminator armoured Chaplain to do; I'm hoping to finish him off over the next fortnight as I can now only paint at the weekend. I'll try and get a group shot then.

I look forward to seeing your progress on him! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Wow. I've been slacking on here. Sorry for the lack of updates guys.

I finally finished of the terminator Chaplain. This guy was an absolute slog to paint and has put me off black Marines for a while, which is probably a good thing seeing as I was getting far too inclined towards starting some 30k Raven Guard... Overall he's come out alright and is definitely usable. He is a touch delicate mind, as for some reason the arms don't sit flush with the torso (even after some trimming) but you can't really tell without looking. This was my first experience of Finecast too, and to say I was disappointed would be somewhat of an understatement. I won't rehash what has been said before though.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_213559_edit_edit_zpsreyxtalb.jpg

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/Blackjack13pUnK/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160718_213642_edit_zpsjymw8feb.jpg

As for what's next; I want to do a wee display board for them. Nothing alaborate; just an A4 sized base with some suitable debris/points of interest. These will probably come from Scribor 'Lion' terrain details. I'd really like to do a Librarian, but I can't justify £20+ to buy and convert the new plastic chap, I need both the old metal ones and  one and the Crimson Slaughter doesn't do it for me. Bit of a bummer.

Project wise I'm soon to be suitably distracted by the Batman Miniature Game whilst a wait for a few Malifaux releases and Operation: Red Veil for Infinity. Then I've really got to get my Warmachine stuff done, and a Mali table. I'm almost happy enough to start my Raptors at some point, but I've got to get practiced on my airbrush as that's a lot of green and a lot of tanks in 5000pts+!

Archived