Alternative uses for Sanguinary Guard bodies

Fahlnor

Hey all,

I've been thinking about using the Mk IV jump packs from the Sanguinary Guard with the Mk IV bodies from Betrayal at Calth to make a bunch of HH Assault Marines.

Seems plenty of other people have had similar thoughts, so finding Sanguinary Guard jump packs on eBay and bitz sites is tricky or expensive (cheapest jump packs I saw were £3.00 each!). That left me wondering about just buying Sanguinary Guard boxes, using the jump packs for my project and then finding an alternative use for the other bits in the kit.

The jumping legs means that they really ought to be equipped with jump packs and I do have a bunch of regular jump packs I could equip them with, but they really stop looking like a Sanguinary Guard at that point.

So. What units do you think you could best represent with the Sanguinary Guard kit sans Mk IV jump packs?

Statues. The death mask Heads as decorations on the sides of buildings or vehicles. Wings for decoration or other conversion like shields. Mix bodies in with tactical arms for veterans, sergeants, or sternguard. The chest pieces and legs will go with the mark IV stuff pretty easily if scattered around. Non jump pack veterans, like in some of the flesh tearer formations that encourage putting them in assault vehicles. Paint them black for death company, out white for priests. Their arm bolters as counts as bolt pistols for librarians, so you can use a casting hand.

Loads of options!

I ended up using the legs from my first box to make some extra blinged out assault marines...the poses actually work quite well for meltacide marines, good for making them look like they're sprinting out of their drop pod. Mixed with the vanilla assault box it at least does a fair job of making it apparent who their primarch is.

Got any pics of the results?  I love the SG models but don't plan on using SG any time soon, so I have been wondering what they would look like as other things.  Some pictures would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Also, how do the wings attach?  Could you put them on other bodies?  I have been toying with the idea of putting wings on a fair number of my BA models.  I like the idea of having wings as a somewhat rare but not unheard of mutation.

Hey Tyriks! The wings attach pretty flimsily onto the body of the marine, not the backpack. Provided you use normal backpacks or SG jump packs, they can fit on any marine model...though I suggest pinning them as best as you can.

I plan on using the chest for Arty Armour on my 30k sgts. I also used the deathmasks and wings as bling for vehicles.

The wings can also be used for strom shields.

Bling Baal:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/11/7/755961_sm-Baal%20Predator%2C%20Blood%20Angels%2C%20Flamestorm%20Cannon%2C%20Hf.JPG

Libby with Storm shield

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2015/7/28/732119_sm-Blood%20Angels%2C%20Librarian%2C%20Terminator%20Librarian.JPG

The SG torso is comes in two parts. The front can be as bling on any unit. The back has the tabs for the wings, so keep these aside for any winged kitbashes. The legs can be any kind of jump (or even running/leaping) model.

The weapons can go anywhere, as can the equipment.

With the exception of the Angelus Boltgun IMHO. While this weapon does look very much like a wrist mounted pistol, it is distinctive enough to be falsely identified as the SG's signature weapon on other models.

I used some extra SG legs and torsos with Death Company and Vanguard Vet bits to make more DC marines.  The jump packs are magnetized so I can switch those out, but I think I'll leave them on because it makes them look more aggressive, like they are descending from the heavens to crush face.

SG Death Company

With the exception of the Angelus Boltgun IMHO. While this weapon does look very much like a wrist mounted pistol, it is distinctive enough to be falsely identified as the SG's signature weapon on other models.

I think you are the only person that could have brought up this issue msn-wink.gif

Two problems:

1) Nobody outside BA knows what an Angelus boltgun is or does.

2) If they actually know that, then they know it is SG only, and nobody is actually going to think that your (non-SG) model actually has one.

I guess this was less of an issue than I first thought... :P

Well, thanks for all the replies! I'm not sure whether it's going to be an issue of any kind as yet - I'm keen to start 30K, but my next two events are AoS in October and 40K in January, so working towards a 30K army at the moment isn't top of my priorities!

As I said, I'd been considering the Betrayal at Calth box. The Blood Angels 30K rules encourage Assault Squads, which is what had pushed me in that direction, but I have some doubts on the matter for a couple of reasons: firstly, beyond the 30 Mk IV models, I don't know how much I'd want to use the other kits for a Blood Angels 30K force. (Note that I've never even touched a 30K model before, so my knowledge of writing lists for Heresy is nil. If someone could weigh in on this, I'd appreciate it!); secondly, I heard rumours of a second Calth box which would include jump troops. If there are 30 jump infantry due around the corner, maybe I don't need to go through six boxes of Sanguinary Guard to convert the current Calth box!

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

I think you are the only person that could have brought up this issue msn-wink.gif

Probably. Better be safe than sorry.

It's just that I think the design does not mesh well with the weapons's stats and name. A design similar to a storm bolter (possibly wrist mounted like the GK version) would be more fitting.

It's just that I think the design does not mesh well with the weapons's stats and name. 

Oh yes, agree completely. The model is way off the description and vice versa. That's why I dont think people will confust it, it looks a lot more like a bolt pistol than a bolter.

Heresy concerns

Erm, maybe dont make all 30 as jump troops? You'll need a load of spare bp+ccw anyway to do this.

Personally, I'd go for the red books first, then decide what kind of army you want, and if a rite of war will mesh with this. BA's 'Revelations' right of war requires jump troops, but it isn't compulsory to use this at all, and indeed there is another rite that benefits jump troops.

2 boxes of SG would be good to get you 10JP to begin with, as well as enough bits and pieces, but to be honest, there really is nothing stopping you from using normal 40k jump packs  - both were probably around in the heresy, the mk4 associated pack is more maneuverable, but the mk7 pack has more raw power (if I remember correctly).

I personally like the bulkier looking mk7 myself, only my SG use the MK4 for ceremonial purposes. And Lemartes, because wings.

Heresy concerns

Erm, maybe dont make all 30 as jump troops? You'll need a load of spare bp+ccw anyway to do this.

Personally, I'd go for the red books first, then decide what kind of army you want, and if a rite of war will mesh with this. BA's 'Revelations' right of war requires jump troops, but it isn't compulsory to use this at all, and indeed there is another rite that benefits jump troops.

2 boxes of SG would be good to get you 10JP to begin with, as well as enough bits and pieces, but to be honest, there really is nothing stopping you from using normal 40k jump packs  - both were probably around in the heresy, the mk4 associated pack is more maneuverable, but the mk7 pack has more raw power (if I remember correctly).

Ok, that's useful. I kind of assumed I'd want to run pretty much all jump infantry. Would you actually advised a more balanced approach?

I'd love if HH BA were a well-balanced combined-arms force. As I say, I have no experience with building an army there whatsoever!

Regarding the Betrayal at Calth box, is there anything in there you'd say is going to be wasted for Blood Angels, or do the units all pretty well have a place?

I was gonna use everything from B@C for my BA. Converted the termies to assault termies to use in some of our formations that require it. I plan on making the contemptor into a Libby dread somehow. Even gonna use the chaplain as a counts as mephiston after adding a power sword and make the terminator hq as a librarian as well. Marines just as regular marines. Used some spare bolt pistols and chainswords to make a 5 man assault squad with some of them

I'm also relatively new to the hobby, so hopefully everything I mentioned is reasonable

I was gonna use everything from B@C for my BA. Converted the termies to assault termies to use in some of our formations that require it. I plan on making the contemptor into a Libby dread somehow. Even gonna use the chaplain as a counts as mephiston after adding a power sword and make the terminator hq as a librarian as well. Marines just as regular marines. Used some spare bolt pistols and chainswords to make a 5 man assault squad with some of them

I'm also relatively new to the hobby, so hopefully everything I mentioned is reasonable

Sounds good, brother!

I'd love to see a conversion on the Contemptor to make it into a Furioso Librarian - that would be awesome.

My 40K army uses a couple of Tactical Squads with triple meltaguns (two meltaguns on the squad and a combi-melta on the sergeant) - they're hard-hitting, can reliably take out one or two tanks when they arrive (by Drop Pod) and can also shoot and still charge. Assault Terminators are a gorgeous unit, though they tend not to see the table too often. Your challenge there is working out how to get them into combat. They're quite slow-moving, so walking them over the table takes ages. You can't Deep Strike and charge, so if you *do* Deep Strike, you're having to wait until turn 3 at the earliest before you get them charging into something. My favourite would be a nice solid Land Raider to trundle them across the table and provide some supporting fire as it goes.

:)

My problem isn't using them in 40K, though - I'm basically wondering how useful the boxset army is for Blood Angels in 30K!

Oops, misread your post... No experience with 30k lol.

The assault terminators I plan on using in the defenders of the cathedrum formation that gives them counter attack. Hopefully that makes them more viable for deep striking in...

I was going to start giving advice (again!) and then I thought "ugh, just let the guy play with his models!"

:P

I really love Assault Terminators. They're one of my favourite units in the game. I hope you like them as much as I do! Counter Attack could be useful on them. Certainly makes it less likely for an enemy to want to charge you!

Archived