Finally a start

For ages now  I have been a lurker on the bolter and chainsword never really contributing other than to pop up now and again and comment on something or start the odd post. With a house move, new job and some spare time I Hope that's all to change.

Confidence I something that's also stopped me posting and on more than one occasion painting. Convincing myself that I cant do something before I even try. Thinking i'll ruin perfectly good models. But with a self kick up the back side I picked up my brush and surprisingly green stuff. 
I've never used green stuff before other than to fill gaps and always marvelled at peoples ability to create amazing things with it.

So with my confidence boost I have two models to share with you although of poor picture quality. I have no idea what im doing when it comes to taking pictures of miniatures so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great. I also realise that I need a better camera than the one on my phone.

both are bits from the stromcast set and bits from the chaos knight set with the blood angel thrown in for a size comparison.

On the middle figure the turban and robed lower half have been sculpted with green stuff as is the torn cloth robbed area on the horned character. Im pretty happy with how both turned out especially have force myself into painting technique's I've never tried before and sculpting with green stuff.

You cant see from the picture here, and I will endear to get more of better quality, but they both have filled down and cut up chaos space marine back packs to serve as power sources for their armour. Just in case people were wondering what I was going posting them on a 40k forum lol.

They aren't really going to serve as any kind of warband or force at the moment. I will add to them with bits and kits from various ranges that I have managed to amass over the years. The main purpose is really just to serve to push myself with both painting and modelling.

So I hope you enjoy C&C welcome.
Thanks again

These are really awesome man! I love gritty figures and these have it. The gold on the marine all the way to the left with that cyan wash to add to the weathering effect is great and your blood is on point.

I wouldn't be afraid to post stuff though, everyone here is willing to give constructive criticism and not a butt chewing. So keep up the good work, do what you love! 

That guy on the right is probably my favorite, lots of character to him!

Thanks very much mortal! Ive had knots in my stomach for the whole what? five minutes this has been up.
I'm glad you mentioned the gritty feel as I very much try and emulate the grim dark aspect of warhammer. Its what first attracted me and terrified me about warhammer when I was young.

The gold/bronze look was actually a complete accident when I first painted the first model (guy with horns) and liked it that I just washed rinsed and repeated with the second. Instead of going for a gunmetal colour by painting runefang steel and giving it a heavy wash with nuln oil I started with abbadon black and drybrushed on runefang in various stages each one with a different washes mixed into the pallet, either agrax, nuln or sepia. Once I was happy the model has a good covering of steel I washed it all, cloth parts as well, with agrax earth shade to tie the whole thing together. I lightly dry brushed on rust followed by a highlight of runefang and another wash of agrax.

I think the one thing that seriously disappoints me about the models are the bases. Im seriously lacking in the bits and materials to create decent bases.

Looking good sir. I'm liking the fellow with the horns.

Regarding the pictures, a white background and a decent lamp or two go a good way to making a picture decent. It's also cheaper than buying a new camera, so it is probably worth a shot first. :p

Also, would you consider making your pictures larger? You can't see the nicely painted models very well with those tiny pics.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

BTW do you have a preferred nickname, as "the emperor is Scottish" is a bit of a mouthful.

Thanks for the input Dallo. I try your suggestions first before splashing out. I did try for bigger pictures however I feel the Iphone loses quality trying to take larger pictures of small objects :/

You can call me Nancy if you'd like lol. I don't mind whatever you find easier. Or Craig lol
I can actually see irland from my back door from where I am in Scotland. On a clear day anyway.

Ok guys I've tried taking better pictures. I still don't think I've goten the best results but they might be slightly better thanks to my better half buying new shoes and me using the box lol silver linings and all that.

Let me know what you think and more suggestions on taking better pictures would be appreciated.

13016341 10204973542053217 2061320348 O

13148308 10205038743843221 345704059 O

13112533 10205038745003250 759632150 O

13105863 10205038744323233 2015483427 O

13128639 10205038743643216 622787269 O

13120732 10205038742563189 685741201 O

These look great buddy, really like the guy with the turban. He reminds me of the wooden guy from the newer Clash of the Titans. Can't remember his name. A very original take on Chaos :tu:

As for taking the pics I'm pretty useless at taking pics as well but I try and take them against a plain background in a fairly well lit room.

Thanks very much for all the feed back guys. Slightly blown away.

I will have at some point or another gawped over something each one of you guys have done so thank you very much. Especially with the 'blanche look' lach that had me smiling all day.

Bio mate I've been following your stuff for ages now so it means a lot. And that was one of the sources I kinda took inspiration from for that guy, even though it was a god awful film, that and the immortals from three hundred.

Im working on a new mini just now but with a change in work times it looks like weekends will be the only time I can work on stuff but ill try and post pics soon.

Really cool stuff! The flowing tassels and the head scarf add a lot of atmosphere to the hammer bearer and really emphasize his sense of size. Totally Blanche, even down to the colors!

Thanks very much guys your comments really mean the world to me :)

So just a small update. Didn't get as much hobby time as I'd have liked at the weekend.

13161593 10205080907777293 229066062 O

13169890 10205080906137252 703824058 O

I feel the chap with the lightning claws kinda all blends together but not in a good way. I might try and split things up with some splashes of red, Maybe on his loin cloth or something.

The other fellow is probably going to end up being a sorcerer of some description. I didn't like the big chaos start on the back of the dark vengeance lords cape so all the green stuff is my attempt to add more fur and when I hopefully add more photos you should see I've replaced his plasma pistol with a pointing clawed hand.

I will start adding fluff to this topic so I can stop referring to models as chaps and fellows.

As always C&C welcome as is any suggestions you may have

Archived