Alpha Legion Orbital Assault 3k

2gud2bbad

Hey guys,

since i did't get a lot of feedback in my project log, i'd like to share my desired 3k list of Alpha legion here, hopefully resulting in some useful feedback.

Mutable tactic: Tank Hunters

HQ

Armillus Dynat (ROW: Orbital Assault)

Saboteur with Artificer Armour, Power Dagger and Combi-Melta

Troops

10 Man Tactial Marine Squad with Artificer Armour and Power Dagger on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

10 Man Tactial Marine Squad with Artificer Armour and Power Dagger on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

5 Man Tactial Support Squad with Melta Guns DT: Droppod

5 Man Tactial Support Squad with Plasma Guns DT: Droppod

Elite

10 Man Veteran Squad with Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns, Combi-Melta, Power Dagger and Artificer Armour on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

10 Man Veteran Squad with Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns, Combi-Melta, Power Dagger and Artificer Armour on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

5 Terminators with 5 Combi-Plasmas, 4 Power fists, Chain fist and Power Dagger on the Sergeant

5 Terminators with 5 Combi-Plasmas, 4 Power fists, Chain fist and Power Dagger on the Sergeant

Fast attack

9 Man Seeker Squad with 8 Combi-Plasma, Plasma Pistol and artificer Armour on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

3 Landspeeder with 3 Graviton Guns

3 Landspeeder with 3 Graviton Guns

=3k

Dynat joins the Seekers. The list includes 7 Droppods, which means that the Veterans, the support squad with melta guns and the seekers with Dynat drop in first. The Rest follows up and helps cleaning up Infantry (Terminators with combi weapons, or the plasma support squad), kills remaining vehicles (Landspeeders, Terminators in melee) or clears and captures objectives (tacticals, terminators). If the land speeders survive, they could also get nasty against massed infantry with their heavy flamers and give at least some mobility to the list. The saboteur is a must have with Dynat imo, 50:50 to render a enemy assault tank (hi spartan) useless is priceless. He can also go hunting, like some artillery tanks with his melta and melta bombs

What are your thoughts? I built this list basically including most of the things i already have or that don't cost insane amounts of money (e.g. a tank list). I'd like to add more veterans if i could, but terminators in mentioned load out are quite a bargain in a drop list.

greetings

I like that you've got the right idea with Dynat. Orbital Assault plays very well to his strengths. And you're going to have a metric :cuss ton of dropping units to inflict maximum damage. 

My one issue (probably no more than a quibble) would be the fact that anti tank is vastly oversubscribed in this list. Everything is geared around anti tank. Yes it's compounding Dynat's perk but I'm wondering if some of the points could be used elsewhere? I mean the amount of melta is a concern given the prevalence of armoured ceramite. You can guarantee the targets you'll be going after with them have it because nobody pays 300+ points on land raiders/Sicarans/Spartans/Leviathans and doesn't take it. So even though you'll be popping them on a 4+ you'll be relying on a chunk of luck to even pen in the first place. Plasma is fine even with the lack of strength and higher AP but then you get 2 shots at longer range.

Personally, I'd drop the melta support squad because there's no guarantee they'd be effective (and if you run into an infantry heavy list plasma is significantly more optimal) plus you've still got 8 scoring units without them. Put Dynat with the plas support squad (who will benefit more from his BS5 cognis signum than the already BS5 seekers) and he can provide them with some cc protection too.

I can't recall how much those land speeders cost but they're almost a waste - you've got so much high strength low ap weaponry, not to mention the bonus to popping vehicles outright with penatrating hits that you don't need to be aiming for glancing the tanks to death. I'd use the points and get a Leviathan - give it the melta lance and a pod then you're looking at 3 S9 AP1 shots that once pen will kill things on 4+. Even against armoured ceramite the extra 1S isn't anything to be sniffed at. Plus the leviathan is a brutal infantry killer too thereby leaving you spoilt for targeting choice.

Lastly I'd look at dropping the meltas on the veterans and giving them missile launchers instead and running with the sniper tactic, melta bombs are fine as they have armourbane not Melta to bypass the armoured ceramite but having tank hunters and the chance to rend on krak missiles is awesome. And quite frankly watching frag missile templates wounding on 4+ with the chance to rend is hilarious

That's just my opinion however. If you'd have trouble getting some of the stuff or (let's face it that list would be brutal) you don't want a ballbreaking list then feel free to disregard it :)

I like that you've got the right idea with Dynat. Orbital Assault plays very well to his strengths. And you're going to have a metric censored.gif ton of dropping units to inflict maximum damage.

My one issue (probably no more than a quibble) would be the fact that anti tank is vastly oversubscribed in this list. Everything is geared around anti tank. Yes it's compounding Dynat's perk but I'm wondering if some of the points could be used elsewhere? I mean the amount of melta is a concern given the prevalence of armoured ceramite. You can guarantee the targets you'll be going after with them have it because nobody pays 300+ points on land raiders/Sicarans/Spartans/Leviathans and doesn't take it. So even though you'll be popping them on a 4+ you'll be relying on a chunk of luck to even pen in the first place. Plasma is fine even with the lack of strength and higher AP but then you get 2 shots at longer range.

Personally, I'd drop the melta support squad because there's no guarantee they'd be effective (and if you run into an infantry heavy list plasma is significantly more optimal) plus you've still got 8 scoring units without them. Put Dynat with the plas support squad (who will benefit more from his BS5 cognis signum than the already BS5 seekers) and he can provide them with some cc protection too.

I can't recall how much those land speeders cost but they're almost a waste - you've got so much high strength low ap weaponry, not to mention the bonus to popping vehicles outright with penatrating hits that you don't need to be aiming for glancing the tanks to death. I'd use the points and get a Leviathan - give it the melta lance and a pod then you're looking at 3 S9 AP1 shots that once pen will kill things on 4+. Even against armoured ceramite the extra 1S isn't anything to be sniffed at. Plus the leviathan is a brutal infantry killer too thereby leaving you spoilt for targeting choice.

Lastly I'd look at dropping the meltas on the veterans and giving them missile launchers instead and running with the sniper tactic, melta bombs are fine as they have armourbane not Melta to bypass the armoured ceramite but having tank hunters and the chance to rend on krak missiles is awesome. And quite frankly watching frag missile templates wounding on 4+ with the chance to rend is hilarious

That's just my opinion however. If you'd have trouble getting some of the stuff or (let's face it that list would be brutal) you don't want a ballbreaking list then feel free to disregard it smile.png

Actually i was afraid that people would be telling me the opposite. I just have 11 Melta guns dropping in T1, on 3 different Units. That's not a whole lot imo. That's why i included the Saboteur and the land speeder squadrons (which are 195 for 3 btw) for back up tank killing. And Melta Guns are also decent for killing 2W legion specific units ;).But when i think about it, the leviathan actually looks pretty tempting with that melta lance, his invuln and stat line. I could drop my melta support Squad and the land speeders and take a kitted out leviathan instead, while sticking Dynat in the PlasmaSquad (upped to 9 Men) and up the seekers to 10. After all i'd still have 7 Drop pods, with the Seekers, the two Veteran Squads and the Leviathan dropping in first. I'd also have enough points to give combi-weapons and melta bombs to the tactical Sergeants. That's awesome! + the leviathan would make a good Centerpiece!

That idea concerning missile launchers is also neat, but the missile launchers are pretty expensive...

Here the updated List:

HQ

Armillus Dynat (ROW: Orbital Assault)

Saboteur with Artificer Armour, Power Dagger and Combi-Melta

Troops

10 Man Tactical Marine Squad with Artificer Armour,Power Dagger, Melta Bombs and Combi-Melta on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

10 Man Tactical Marine Squad with Artificer Armour,Power Dagger, Melta Bombs and Combi-Melta on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

9 Man Tactical Support Squad with Plasma Guns, Artificer Armour and Power Dagger on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

Elite

Elite

10 Man Veteran Squad with Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns, Combi-Melta, Power Dagger and Artificer Armour on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

10 Man Veteran Squad with Melta Bombs, 2 Melta Guns, Combi-Melta, Power Dagger and Artificer Armour on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

Fast Attack

10 Man Seeker Squad with 9 Combi-Plasma, Plasma Pistol and artificer Armour on the Sergeant DT: Droppod

Heavy Support

Leviathan with Cyclonic Melta Lance, Siege Drill, 2 Volkite Calivers, AC DT: Droppod

makes for 2995 pts.

Thoughts?

Leviathans are fantastic all rounders so you're golden with that. I'd keep the claw instead of the drill however. You'll already be having strength 10 albeit without Armourbane so even against raiders and Spartans you're not exactly slacking with the damage. Phosphex would be useful to help with the infantry killing but as points are tight it's not 100% essential and if you do stick with the siege claw that's the potential of D3 wounds.

Personally I'd make the effort to find the points for the MLs. Just being able to multi-task is reason enough add in the fact that if you can't get favourable deployment for the vet's pods you can settle for landing them in midfield and having long range firepower still pound away.

Archived