Blood Angel transfer sheet

Sir Ovbov

So, I am planning to make the second company, and I was wondering what you guys thought about the transfer sheet GW released and if it is worth it to get things such as the banners and knee pad marking; or if it would just be better to paint it all by hand. 

Thanks

I like the new transfer sheet and I used the banner already on my Command Squad banner (finally finished). The Forgeworld BA one is also nice.

Did you use one of the transfers with the full banner or one with just the icon? I've been wondering how well the big ones fits on the command squad banner.

Edited by RedemptionNL

I like the new transfer sheet and I used the banner already on my Command Squad banner (finally finished). The Forgeworld BA one is also nice.

Did you use one of the transfers with the full banner or one with just the icon? I've been wondering how well the big ones fits on the command squad banner.

I used this one... although the transfer fit on nicely and doesn't even show transfer marks on the curved edges - I still kind of hate how this came out. Sorry for bad photo with flash-on.

gallery_37458_4992_569372.jpg

Edited by Chaplain Gunzhard

I used this one... although the transfer fit on nicely and doesn't even show transfer marks on the curved edges - I still kind of hate how this came out. Sorry for bad photo with flash-on.

gallery_37458_4992_569372.jpg

You used not two, not three but four contrasting main colors.. a complementing or neutral background for the banner would have done wonders..

I can't free hand. 

Have you tried?

If you can paint within the lines on a model, you can freehand - if you can do line highlights, then you definitely can!

I probably could if I trusted myself enough, I just think I would get the sizing all wrong, try to redo it and then end up ruining the look of the model all together.  .

I can't free hand. 

Have you tried?

If you can paint within the lines on a model, you can freehand - if you can do line highlights, then you definitely can!

I probably could if I trusted myself enough, I just think I would get the sizing all wrong, try to redo it and then end up ruining the look of the model all together.  .

Practice on paper first, then one of the many, many spare shoulder pads you get with GW kits! I personally think it looks cool if insignia are different sizes, applied in different ways, etc. It marks them all out as individuals.

I can't free hand. 

Have you tried?

Practice on paper first, then one of the many, many spare shoulder pads you get with GW kits! I personally think it looks cool if insignia are different sizes, applied in different ways, etc. It marks them all out as individuals.

That would be one way of doing it but I want to try and make the marines the same for things like the 8th Company if I ever get there as I would want the bike squads to be the same Space Marine as the one from te same squad with a jump pack/ backpack along with things like Rhinos and Drop Pods fall every squad with their markings on it. 

Well, you'll have to freehand with the 8th, as I dont think there are any green blood drop transfers? Once you get practice, it's easy to get regular sized drops:

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk141/Mechxen/Blood%20Angels/8th%20Co%201st%20Squad/PC220406.jpg

Edited by Xenith

Then I stand corrected :biggrin.:

Enough for 20 marines from the 8th co there - an £8 tax per 10 man unit, if you dont mind the cost.

The sheet is amazing, and worth getting for the large transfers alone, I feel, everything else is an awesome bonus.

Edited by Xenith

I am debating picking it up! Couple questions from a newbie. Are the transfers easy to use for someone new to the hobby? Also can they be easily removed if I decide later down the road I want to repaint my guys? Lastly is it possible to paint on them for example paint the green blood drop red or black before putting it on? Edited by Brother Lemartes

I gave up on them years ago as I had bad luck, they just wouldn't stay on, but I have learned better. Put down a coat of gloss varnish first, then seal the transfer with lahmian medium.

Micro-sol and micro-set soften the transfer to make it stick to uneven or large curved surfaces like shoulder pads.

I dont know why you'd want to paint the blood drop red (on a red marine?) but you can.

Some of my first freehanding was actually painting over transfers to add more detail.

Lol yeah I don't know why I would paint over the blood drop.

The reason I ask though is because I have a lot of old transfers with skulls and want to paint a blood drop on the head or under the eye for my chapter badge so I can put those old transfers to good use. Or thinking of just painting a stream of red under both eyes to make it look like the skull is weeping blood. Do any of those things sound doable with skull transfers, especially for someone new to the hobby? Or should I look for a new/easier chapter icon?

These new transfers are a lot better than the old ones, in that they are much better cut. The old transfers usually have a large transparent area around the actual icon, which you either have to cut away or get trouble applying them to curved surfaces.

I probably won't start working on that for awhile, I need to actually start getting models fully painted first and decide on the colors for all my different units before I move on to the chapter badge. I'll def post pics as I go in my successor thread. Edited by Brother Lemartes