Someone convince me to main Dark Angels

ronin_cse

UPDATE: In case it isn't obvious I picked DA as my chapter. Just to make it clear I wasn't asking to be convinced to play DA because I didn't like them, the problem is I like too many chapters and was having trouble deciding which chapter to play among the ones I was already drawn to and I wanted to understand other's reasons for their choice.

Hi all! Ok so over the past few months I have been having a very tough time deciding on which Chapter/Legion I want to focus on. I will decide on one and then the next day change my mind. At this point I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, or Iron Hands. Kind of frustrating myself with my indecisiveness so trying to get help from the community here. I posted a similar topic over in the IF and IH sub-forums but they don't know I'm also considering DA, Chapter matters belong in the Chapter msn-wink.gif.

Soooo basically why would I want to focus of Dark Angels as my main Chapter? Keep in mind that who ever wins me over gets another recruit for the ETL msn-wink.gif

You're the 1st. Your kind walked with the Emperor himself; his bodyguard as he took mankind out into the stars. Your expertise and skill saw the first of mankinds xenos foes fall before blade and bolter. When the heresy broke out, you brought the vile Night Lords to heel. At Terra, it was fear of the 1st that saw Horus make his fatal mistake and gave the Emperor the chance he needed to save the galaxy. Afterwards you did not risk the Imperium by opposing Guilleman, as the foolish Dorn did. You made your chapters and kept your secrets but, deep down, you kept in communication with each other. You know better, but the Imperium was, is, too precious to you to risk another civil war just for the sack of pride. Better a white lie instead. Someday, the 1st legion will be needed again, and you're ready for that day. Until then, the 1st chapter serves as best it can, against threats the Imperium will never know and never fully appreciate the dangers of.

- Three different colours (Raven-, death- and greenwing) to break up the monotonous painting.

- Awesome warriormonk-like robes, shields and swords.

- Great beautifull models. (Did you see the Interrogator-chaplain or Deathwing knights?)

- Plenty of opportunities to make your own successors.

- Every playstyle is possible because of the different 'wings'.

- The fluff is impressive.

I personally chose a successor chapters, angels of absolution, and use them for any chapter bar space pups. The dark angels have the best bikes, the funnest terminators. And some pretty fun formations, especially with the new psychic powers. We have interromancy that regular marines don't have access to, that are simply game changers with mind worm, aversion, and psychic shriek "screw that one guy in particular" spell that still spills over to the squad. Especially with the recent draft FAQ.

I disagree.

You're the 1st. Your kind walked with the Emperor himself; his bodyguard as he took mankind out into the stars. Your expertise and skill saw the first of mankinds xenos foes fall before blade and bolter. When the heresy broke out, you brought the vile Night Lords to heel. At Terra, it was fear of the 1st that saw Horus make his fatal mistake and gave the Emperor the chance he needed to save the galaxy. Afterwards you did not risk the Imperium by opposing Guilleman, as the foolish Dorn did. You made your chapters and kept your secrets but, deep down, you kept in communication with each other. You know better, but the Imperium was, is, too precious to you to risk another civil war just for the sack of pride. Better a white lie instead. Someday, the 1st legion will be needed again, and you're ready for that day. Until then, the 1st chapter serves as best it can, against threats the Imperium will never know and never fully appreciate the dangers of.

THIS is how Games Workshop should've written the fluff for the Dark Angels. Instead of making them utterly ruthless, give them some scruples, i.e., draw lines they will refuse to cross- say they refuse to employ Daemon weapons, refuse to make deals with the Traitor Legions in exchange for info on the Fallen, refuse to delude themselves with the idea "This act of betrayal is, ultimately, for the greater good of the Imperium." They should know they are committing crimes to hide an ancient shame, and suffer for it, even as they bear this burden as strongly as they can. Otherwise, they're no better than a radical Inquisitor.

I disagree.

THIS is how Games Workshop should've written the fluff for the Dark Angels. Instead of making them utterly ruthless, give them some scruples, i.e., draw lines they will refuse to cross- say they refuse to employ Daemon weapons, refuse to make deals with the Traitor Legions in exchange for info on the Fallen, refuse to delude themselves with the idea "This act of betrayal is, ultimately, for the greater good of the Imperium." They should know they are committing crimes to hide an ancient shame, and suffer for it, even as they bear this burden as strongly as they can. Otherwise, they're no better than a radical Inquisitor.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, librisrogue's description seems fairly accurate to how they are portrayed. The thing is they think that if word of their traitor half got out they would all be hunted down and destroyed which is why they seem to be ruthless in capturing "the fallen".

Also I'm not sure what the links are supposed to show, most don't relate to the Dark Angels...are there actual examples of DA using Daemon weapons or were you just using the GK as an example?

I was using the Grey Knights as an example, but considering the Dark Angels were alleged to have killed LOYALIST Black Templars in the Crusade of the Ophidium Gulf, it's all too easy to picture them falling down the slippery slope and justifying the use of Daemon weapons against Chaos, as their alleged successors did. Hell, they were alleged to have already fallen during the Heresy (see the Lion giving siege weapons to PERTURABO- weapons the Iron Warriors undoubtedly used during the Siege of Terra- as well as violating the Council of Nikaea).

Overall, the Dark Angels' motivations are poorly explained and justified in Games Workshop's works, making the Chapter unappealing to me. A better writer, e.g., librisrouge, has a chance of convincing me to play as Dark Angels- something Gav Thorpe and his coworkers failed to do thus far.

I was using the Grey Knights as an example, but considering the Dark Angels were alleged to have killed LOYALIST Black Templars in the Crusade of the Ophidium Gulf, it's all too easy to picture them falling down the slippery slope and justifying the use of Daemon weapons against Chaos, as their alleged successors did. Hell, they were alleged to have already fallen during the Heresy (see the Lion giving siege weapons to PERTURABO- weapons the Iron Warriors undoubtedly used during the Siege of Terra- as well as violating the Council of Nikaea).

Overall, the Dark Angels' motivations are poorly explained and justified in Games Workshop's works, making the Chapter unappealing to me. A better writer, e.g., librisrouge, has a chance of convincing me to play as Dark Angels- something Gav Thorpe and his coworkers failed to do thus far.

I think that's supposed to be intentional though, not being quite sure of their motivations seems to fit the DA fluff in general. I dunno for some reason the Emperor believed in The Lion's loyalty absolutely (believe that was mentioned in Vengeful Spirit?) which is good enough for me. Actually their closed nature is kind of what draws me to them, but of course I understand why someone would be pushed away by it.

Also don't forget other loyalist legions violated the Council of Nikaea during the Heresy as well, even the Ultramarines started using Psykers in violation of it.

Why Da?

You have more fluff. It's not just black ad IH and it's easier to paint than IF yellow.

Games wise, Both IF and IH will give you more to play with, so here is what you have to think... are you a player foremost or a modeller/collector? There lies your answer.

And like I always says it's DA that pick the players not the other way around.

I say pick the models and colour schemes that appeal to you most.

Rules and units change over time, no point picking a chapter because you like their current rules but despise painting them. You'll end up with whole army of marines wearing nothing but their undercoat.

I'll admit green isn't my favorite color but having the 3 distinct color schemes makes DA more interesting. I had considered going with a successor chapter but the issue there is I would like to use these models in 30k as well. I suppose I could do the strictly 40k stuff in successor colors since they tend to work closer together than is typical of other chapters.

Oh and really I'm not basing this decision on rules that much, really more concerned with fluff and personalty of the chapter/legion.

I'll admit green isn't my favorite color but having the 3 distinct color schemes makes DA more interesting. I had considered going with a successor chapter but the issue there is I would like to use these models in 30k as well. I suppose I could do the strictly 40k stuff in successor colors since they tend to work closer together than is typical of other chapters.

Oh and really I'm not basing this decision on rules that much, really more concerned with fluff and personalty of the chapter/legion.

Colour shouldn't be much of a problem. The codex lists green, black, bone, metallic and even red if you inverse some schemes.

- Three different colours (Raven-, death- and greenwing) to break up the monotonous painting.

- Great beautifull models. (Did you see the Interrogator-chaplain or Deathwing knights?)

- Plenty of opportunities to make your own successors.

If these 2 posts don't sway you, nothing will!  :D

I fell in love all over again.  :P

Which is why Arkley's avatar is pulling his ears out tongue.png

I'm going go change it tomorrow and your statement will look silly ☺

Your move sir tongue.png

Arkley

- Three different colours (Raven-, death- and greenwing) to break up the monotonous painting.

- Great beautifull models. (Did you see the Interrogator-chaplain or Deathwing knights?)

- Plenty of opportunities to make your own successors.

If these 2 posts don't sway you, nothing will! biggrin.png

I fell in love all over again. tongue.png

Hy Brother !

And in addition, an extract of the multipe possibility of paint schem :

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/275736-ironsturms-4th-co-rw-up-unforgiven-squad/?p=4393012

Read the 30k heresay novels, the chapter will come to you

Hands - stoic

Ravenguard - from the shadows

Ultras - doctrines

Then you have the Wolves - the Emperors final solution

Dark Angels are a Legion apart a different way of playing space Marines, from librarian powers to Darkshroud & Dark Talon, fearless leaderes & some of the best models + pimp in the GW catalogue.

The reason to choose the first legion? Ofc cause we are the FIRST!

Ravenwing is freaking awesome with the coolest planes of 40k (Nephilim and Darktalon are so sexy)...

Deathwing is imposing probably the hottest terminators with the GK ones...

Robes everywhere cause we are the REAL templar Knight in 40k (sorry BT but we were first)...

And above all we have the scariest Battle Cry...

REPENT FOR TOMORROW YOU'LL DIE!

FOR THE LION!

For me it was the background back in early second edition when not everything was known about their background. From Epic I knew of their distinct formations - the Deathwing and Ravenwing. Then there was the colour scheme and none-more-gothic sensibility in terms of model design and feel. Over the years, the merger of monkish and knightly have just sealed the deal for me in terms of models.

They are a marine army filled with extra elite choices - an elite army for an already elite force. I also agree with the others about the colour schemes too - it gives you lots of nice new challenges and options. 

Ultimately, you need to figure out what calls to you most. What aspects of the hobby do you enjoy most? What new challenges are you looking for? Are you interested in more than just the rules (most DA players seem to like the army for reasons other than rules)?

Convince the Dark Angels that you are worthy of playing them.

Just Kidding. biggrin.png

The Lion's sons do not kid. Gamers must demonstrate their worth before an Interrogator-Chaplain of the Chapter, before they are given leave to play a Dark Angels army.

Archived