Someone convince me to main Dark Angels

ronin_cse

Soooo basically why would I want to focus of Dark Angels as my main Chapter? Keep in mind that who ever wins me over gets another recruit for the ETL msn-wink.gif

You have it wrong. We are The First. It is not we who need convince you to join us, it is you who must prove yourself worthy of the honor.

Seriously we have the BEST terminators. We are the only chapter with fearless terminators who also have hatred:CSM as a base rule and we are the only chapter that doesn't have to make the decision between assault and tactical terminators as we can have both in the same squad.

Our bikes are also better with skilled rider base, massive access to plasma weaponry, and hit and run. Also no-one else gets the jink save boost provided by a dark shroud or re-rollable jink due to the ravenwing rule.

Overwatch is at BS2 for all DA and if u like gladius style lists from C:SM then u can have the same here but with overwatch at BS4 instead!

Our unique units are great, the dark talon lays down large S10 templates from the rift cannon plus a large debuff bomb and up to 12 TL-bolter shots for good measure. Then the Vengeance speeder hurls large plasma templates 36" or heavy3 plasma for when an MC just HAS to die! Lastly death from the skies has improved the nephilim to one of the best fighters in the game now!

Seriously there is NOTHING in C:SM that I want to use and if you want to play 30K just paint all of your models black and use them for either 30K or 40K games!

Hi all! Ok so over the past few months I have been having a very tough time deciding on which Chapter/Legion I want to focus on. I will decide on one and then the next day change my mind. At this point I have pretty much narrowed down my choices to Dark Angels, Imperial Fists, or Iron Hands. Kind of frustrating myself with my indecisiveness so trying to get help from the community here. I posted a similar topic over in the IF and IH sub-forums but they don't know I'm also considering DA, Chapter matters belong in the Chapter msn-wink.gif.

Soooo basically why would I want to focus of Dark Angels as my main Chapter? Keep in mind that who ever wins me over gets another recruit for the ETL msn-wink.gif

I think that making such a decision is a long-term commitment. And in the long term rules come and go and although you may argue the same with the background, it is definitely more sticky than the rules. If the background works for you you'll stay with the faction even during periods of weak rules (Emperor knows we had protracted dry seasons) and enjoy even more when the rules eventually become competitive again. So to cut it short, it's all about fluff. And DAs have the best!

Let me elaborate:

• Dark Secret / the Hunt. The DAs try to atone for a sin imposed on them aeons ago. To achieve cleansing they need to employ every method available to them. Standard moral restraints that are canon for other Chapters do not apply to the DAs. Their secret is one of choice - unlike the BAs for example that it's genetic. That puts them morally in the grey area.
  • Secret Legion. The ties the Unforgiven maintain and the common reference to the Inner Circle means that the latter has influence if not direct control in the majority of the DA successors (collectively called the Unforgiven)
  • The Chapter is all that matters! The loyalty of the DAs is not to the Imperium but tot the Chapter - and by extension to the Emperor personally. So they support the Imperium as much as it is convenient, but will revert to their agenda when such an opportunity arises. They are their own boss - which says a lot about clout in the 41st millennium.
  • Special 1st and 2nd Companies. The whole fluff surrounding the First and Second companies is a very unique theme as they are the primary elements of the Hunt
  • Circles wishing Circles: The convoluted, claustrophobic and paranoid atmosphere where anyone may or may not know things - sometimes irrespective of their position in the military hierarchy makes for the perfect dark story-telling
  • Knightly / gothic / warrior monk imagery. Although not knights in shining armour (the IFs capture this way better), the DAs carry the dichotomy of knightly honour and dark dishonourable practices that involve hostage taking, torture and an eternal cover-up! Now this makes for great fluff - arguably the best in the setting!

I could go on as there are other theme that define our faction too, but for the interest of time I'll hold here.

Most other Chapters are either goody-goodies like UMs and IFs or harbour secrets of genetic nature - something that you cannot hold against their moral character (e.g. BAs, SWs). But here, here you need to make a choice! Are you with the DAs and strive through the morally challenging situation to emerge a victor and restore the purity of the Chapter? Are you wiling to sacrifice your honour to preserve the legacy of the Lion? Remember:

THE CHAPTER IS ALL THAT MATTERS

On top of that there is the modelling advantage as it's one of the few Chapters that has such colour diversity with white, black and green being in the main collocations - not to mention the extra challenge of the robes that give a unique Knight Templar feel (as opposed to the Black Templars that have a more Teutonic Knight feel imo). Also if you don't want to go down that road and you like uniformity (or can't paint white if your life depended on it) you can opt for a number of successors all of which have awesome full to boot.

So if you want a chapter that has the attributes of a Cold War era Secret Agency, while sporting the best equipment and the best traditions in the Imperium, if you want to be the First, the Honoured, the Son of the Lion, sign below.

Wow thanks for all the responses! I think this thread got triple the amount of the other two I made. I think I have made my decision and it will be Dark Angels, with a side of Imperial Fists since I have some vanilla SM models that I want to use.

Honestly they were my first choice years ago when I got back into 40k and I even had a small force as well that I ended up selling. I think at the time I didn't really "get" their feeling and their lore and on a surface level I disliked The Lion as portrayed in the HH DA novels. However now that I have been more immersed in the setting in general and have read much MUCH more lore I finally understand The Lion and how he thinks and have realized that out of all the primarchs I share the most personality traits with him (and according to this we share the same sign). Listening to the podcast "The Imperial Truth" is kind of what kicked this off for me and made me rethink my Iron Hands decision, they were talking about Russ' model and how once you find a legion you really identify with you'll want the primarch regardless of his rules and such. Since I don't identify with Ferrus or the IH at all I decided they might not be the legion for me. Also I finished "The Lion" short story last night which really helped my understanding Lionel.

Also the general "feeling" of the legion/chapter really calls to me. The feeling of the dark mysterious forests of Caliban is very alluring, it gives them a very "Dark Souls" feeling (or should I say Dark Souls has a very Dark Angels feeling?). 

Of course the various hobby options and awesome models add to my decision and that new Interrogator-Chaplain alone is just about enough.

Anyways thank you again for all your responses! They were very enlightening and really helped me make a choice. I look forward to spending more time in the sub-forum in the future. Can't wait to make an ETL vow and start painting (just have to finish up a few dirty xenos Eldar models for a tournament first)!

Edit: Also, swords and robes are awesome! ;)

Welcome to the Rock Brother. Don't forget, next monday we go on a fieldtrip to find some fallen heretics to burn. Dresscode, casual TDA (so NO capes) and the appropriate thunderhammer. The daycare opens at 06:00 AM to drop of your Watcher in the Dark. Enjoy your stay (since you'll be here FOREVAH).

EDIT: Ow, And don't forget to bring your plasma weapon of choice.

Welcome to the Rock!  Now comes the hard decision: are you going for proper DA colors or a successor chapter?  I was not a fan of the green power armour so I went with the Guardians of the Covenant but I also kept the bone terminator armour and the black of the Ravenwing.  All robes are red in my army so it all ties in together.  Consecrators also have a big following around here too.

Let us know what you decide!

no because if you dont want to play an army nothing said here could make you want to play them.

I feel like you didn't actually read my post(s) :p

Welcome to the Rock! Now comes the hard decision: are you going for proper DA colors or a successor chapter? I was not a fan of the green power armour so I went with the Guardians of the Covenant but I also kept the bone terminator armour and the black of the Ravenwing. All robes are red in my army so it all ties in together. Consecrators also have a big following around here too.

Let us know what you decide!

So what you're saying is I need another post like this in order to decide which chapter I want to do ;)

To be honest I'll probably stick with vanilla Dark Angels as I want to use them in 30k as well...might splash in some Consecrators too since I really like the red robes and red deathwing would look pretty sweet as well. What color would their ravenwing be then?

Well, it you want to overlap 30k DAs and a 40k successor, your best option would be to go for Angels of Vengeance that are all black like the Legion colours. Or maybe the Consecrators depending on whether the red stripe will have a special significance for HH DAs (we need to wait for a FW book that actually covers us). 

DAs changed to green after the heresy with the first and second company maintaining the black of the original Legion. Then after, (can't recall the date) the Deathwing changed to white on the Genestealers incident... 

Well, it you want to overlap 30k DAs and a 40k successor, your best option would be to go for Angels of Vengeance that are all black like the Legion colours. Or maybe the Consecrators depending on whether the red stripe will have a special significance for HH DAs (we need to wait for a FW book that actually covers us). 

DAs changed to green after the heresy with the first and second company maintaining the black of the original Legion. Then after, (can't recall the date) the Deathwing changed to white on the Genestealers incident... 

I've read a couple cases of Caliban born DAs painting some of their armor green during the Heresy so I was going to pick out some aspects in green to tie them to the modern stuff. The problem with doing a 40k successor is the chapter marking since obviously they wouldn't have been in use during the Heresy. I think I'll probably just end up with some black DAs mixed in with my 40k green DA, should look alright as long I stick with consistent basing and such.

Sounds like a plan. I think the references to green during HH never extended further than the odd shoulder pad. But as I said, some things may become clearer once the FW book covering us comes out. I have no idea when this is... :(

Sounds like a plan. I think the references to green during HH never extended further than the odd shoulder pad. But as I said, some things may become clearer once the FW book covering us comes out. I have no idea when this is... sad.png

That's what I was planning on, I think it is usually the shoulder pad with the legion mark? I think the black and green mixed together will help convey that dark mysterious forest feeling I'm going for too.

Will probably end up doing some Consecrators as well to mix it up though.

You see, while we're on the topic of DA fluff, they strike me as very appealing and yet the most appalling of Legions. On the one hand they are the kings of style. That religious knight look is boss and their style is beyond awesome.

Yet the way they think really rubs me the wrong way. They force others to repent yet are themselves unwilling to forgive. In the end I would not be surprised if a lot of the Hunt is happening in their own heads. The Fallen may just want to stay of their afair, but the DA will hunt them down. For what though? Killing them all off will never grant them the peace they seek.

Then there is their exclusive loyalty to the Chapter at the expense of others. Some protectors of mankind. Their job was and still is to protect Mankind and their interest and not their own, and yet they fire on their brothers and abandon their allies in favour of their own business. That was not the Emperor's will.

And what is with the secrecy? It is okay, every Legion had traitors. Isn't the fact that they stayed loyal and are actively seeking to eradicate the corrupted reason enough to see that they are loyal? Their intentions alone absolves them, but they still carry on.

Maybe I am missing something or maybe I am thinking differently, but while DA may be the most knightly Legion in looks, they are among the least knightly in spirit. I mean, c'mon, even Wolves do it better. They wage all-out war against the Inquisition in order to protect wrongfully damned civilians. Why can't DA show that sort of honour?

You clearly misunderstand DA fluff then.

The shame demands that the honor must be uphold. It's a huge stain in the honor to have traitors in their midst... And that is the tragedy of it... They have to abandon their knightly behavior in order to erase the stain. That's what make DA interesting... A force that has to struggle against their nature and that struggle becomes their second nature... They have to sin in order to erase the sins of the past, so they literally have to carry two times the shame. That is their penance, that is their burden... That will always weigh in their shoulder. And they live with it.. And they endure, and they struggle to make it right... And yet they bring the light of the Imperium with them wherever they go, despite their shame.

SW are fools and buffoons to openly take on the Inquisition. Doesn't make them any more noble being rebels defending civilians against the Inquisition when they only do it because they can, to prove their might and to boast about it.

Being DA is about letting the Darkness consume you in order to reach the light. That takes a lot more courage then just shrug the shoulders and say that the crimes of the forefathers are only theirs and just wash the hands of what happened.

Also if I recall correctly they had almost half their number turn traitor and their home world was corrupted to the core. It's not the same as with the other loyal legions that only had a few.

They're also the First Legion. They fought with the Emperor to take back Terra during the Unification War. I'm sure the Dark Angels believe that half of their men turning traitor wouldn't look good in the Emperors Eyes. So they're atoning for their sins to him just as much as themselves.

You see, while we're on the topic of DA fluff, they strike me as very appealing and yet the most appalling of Legions. On the one hand they are the kings of style. That religious knight look is boss and their style is beyond awesome.

Yet the way they think really rubs me the wrong way. They force others to repent yet are themselves unwilling to forgive. In the end I would not be surprised if a lot of the Hunt is happening in their own heads. The Fallen may just want to stay of their afair, but the DA will hunt them down. For what though? Killing them all off will never grant them the peace they seek.

Then there is their exclusive loyalty to the Chapter at the expense of others. Some protectors of mankind. Their job was and still is to protect Mankind and their interest and not their own, and yet they fire on their brothers and abandon their allies in favour of their own business. That was not the Emperor's will.

And what is with the secrecy? It is okay, every Legion had traitors. Isn't the fact that they stayed loyal and are actively seeking to eradicate the corrupted reason enough to see that they are loyal? Their intentions alone absolves them, but they still carry on.

Maybe I am missing something or maybe I am thinking differently, but while DA may be the most knightly Legion in looks, they are among the least knightly in spirit. I mean, c'mon, even Wolves do it better. They wage all-out war against the Inquisition in order to protect wrongfully damned civilians. Why can't DA show that sort of honour?

One thing to bear in mind is that the introduction of traitors from the other loyalist legions is something quite new (and rather stupid imo). For most of the game's existence, the DAs were the only loyalist chapter/legion who had members turn traitor during the Heresy. Even with the newer fluff, the traitorous DAs represent a far higher proportion of the legion turning than in any other loyalist legion, which goes a long way to explaining why they are so shamed by it and go to such great lengths to keep it secret.

Hunting the Fallen is not so much about 'seeking peace' but with retribution and as a containment measure. The DAs are petrified of the possible repercussions if knowledge of the Fallen got out. So they hunt the Fallen to exact revenge for the betrayal and to prevent others finding out about them. Seeking peace has nothing to do with it.

Why do they consider it their own sin? Those that remained loyal are redeemed by the simple fact that they remained loyal. Loyalty is its own reward as the Lion said. I get why you would hunt down the Fallen. But I feel like they are hunting them for the wrong reason. They should be hunting them to eliminate Chaos, not because they could throw a shadow on their reputation. First, who is the entire Imperium would believe a traitor. Second, trying to save your own reputation at the cost of your allies is beyond egocentric. It is downright pathetic. The Emperor had greater things in mind with the Astartes. To use this gift to further your own needs should be considered a Heresy in and of it self. I can get behind the idea of cleaning up your own mess. They repent for their past failing (though I would argue that those who remained loyal did not do anything wrong and have no reason to repent; but they take the responsibility because there wasn't anyone else who could and that is fine) and that is commendable, but not when it happens at the cost of your primary mission given by the Emperor himself.

Archived