Discussing death company load out.

The "default" loadout is jump packs and 1 fist per 5 models.

Depending on what I'm fighting, I will occasionally run a 5-man squad with jump packs and a power sword. It's a good squad to mulch marines, especially if it's got a Chaplain attached. I find that the special pistols are almost never a good idea, or at least that I just don't end up using them. YMMV

The "default" loadout is jump packs and 1 fist per 5 models.

Depending on what I'm fighting, I will occasionally run a 5-man squad with jump packs and a power sword. It's a good squad to mulch marines, especially if it's got a Chaplain attached. I find that the special pistols are almost never a good idea, or at least that I just don't end up using them. YMMV

i find the inferno pistol good for popping tanks

I guess it's nice to have the option, but that's what I use my meltacide squads for. I'm not convinced that the option to pop a transport is worth the cost of the pistols. If it works for you though, then you do you :)

I would question how 'good' it is for tank killing. The 3" required for the melta makes it practically unusable to me.

For tank killing at range it's all about MM attack bikes or fast tri-Las press. But I digress.

DC load out I've found that 8 dudes, 2 power fists and a Chappy works well (jumppacks, obviously). The rerolls make them reliable (damn dice gods) the extra bodies means taking casualties doesn't cripple your damage output and gives an excellent 'rate of fire' for forcing wounds on T5 or less. Powerfists do the heavy lifting. Give bolters to the PF dudes, everyone else bp/ccw.

Add a character with Hit n Run for 'rinse and repeat' bonuses on the charge. :D

EDC

I would question how 'good' it is for tank killing. The 3" required for the melta makes it practically unusable to me.

For tank killing at range it's all about MM attack bikes or fast tri-Las press. But I digress.

DC load out I've found that 8 dudes, 2 power fists and a Chappy works well (jumppacks, obviously). The rerolls make them reliable (damn dice gods) the extra bodies means taking casualties doesn't cripple your damage output and gives an excellent 'rate of fire' for forcing wounds on T5 or less. Powerfists do the heavy lifting. Give bolters to the PF dudes, everyone else bp/ccw.

Add a character with Hit n Run for 'rinse and repeat' bonuses on the charge. biggrin.png

EDC

i use it to charge some death stars in transports.

I find that one pistol doesn't do much, you really need 2 hits, which means 3 shots at BS4.

45 pts gets 3 inferno's. That could go to a MM attack bike, or 115 gets you 3 meltas in a drop pod.

They seem a much better deal on Sanguinary Guard, seeing as Angelus boltguns are a waste (in my opinion).

Still, they could be useful in stripping a HP from a rhino, or a wound from a MC.

In my last game I wiped out an entire 5man stern guard squad with just the attacks from a single power sword wielding madman and a chaplain... and the chaplain didn't get to swing.

I think once you have more than 5 dudes a powersword is kind of redundant as you can drown things in chainsword attacks. As said above though I will run a powersword in a 5man squad if I'm fighting marines.

For the price of that sword you can pretty much get another dude. Boys before toys isn't a strict rule but more boys helps.

What do you equip your death company with. 

Personally i like jump packs (obviously) and 1 Power fist per 5 .

some times one infer pistol.

I run a pretty points heavy death company, but I like them being able to take on nearly anything.

10 Death Company Marines with jump packs:

Power fist x2

Inferno pistol x2

Power sword x1

The rest are bolt pistol and chain sword

I normally have Astorath lead them, or a jump pack chaplain with inferno pistol.

You really can go full death-star with them.

Or many brothers prefer to have a few smaller units that each pose a mid level threat.

7 with two upgrades and packs is a great unit.

I'm more of a shock and awe player though - So I'll drop a squad of 15 with a few swords and fist plus hammer with minimal scatter thanks to locator beacons from my earlier drop pods and such.

They'll eat a load of firepower sure but my lord only a few need to survive to inflict maximum carnage. Plus if you're also dropping in Dreads and other threats your opponents target priority just goes to poop.

I've yet to update my DC so all 10 are regular BP/CCW which has proven troublesome of late. So my plan is to add to them 3 PF, 1 Axe and 1 Sword. As already stated the Power Fists will be doing the heavy lifting, the Axe and Sword will be a bonus. I won't bother with shooty weapons, the DC are there to pummel face in melee and I prefer to spend those points on more melee weapons.

Oh, maybe I'll throw in a Thunder Hammer instead of the sword? Concussive will be useful against MCs in the unlikely event it's not torn to pieces by frothing madmen in one assault phase biggrin.png

In my last game I wiped out an entire 5man stern guard squad with just the attacks from a single power sword wielding madman and a chaplain... and the chaplain didn't get to swing.

I think once you have more than 5 dudes a powersword is kind of redundant as you can drown things in chainsword attacks. As said above though I will run a powersword in a 5man squad if I'm fighting marines.

For the price of that sword you can pretty much get another dude. Boys before toys isn't a strict rule but more boys helps.

You realise that the Chappy is I5, and should be striking first, right?

EDC

As a general rule, overdoing it on the Death Company is a bad thing due to cost and redundancy. With this in mind, the "one upgrade per five" models serves me well with regards to melee weaponry, with this being a power fist (or a power axe if points are tight). Basically, you don't want overkill on the Death Company as this will more often than not leave them stranded.

On a personal note I adore a power sword on my Death Company and will try to have one in every squad (unless there's a Chaplain there as he fulfills that role in a pseudo kind of way).

Pistol wise it's always subject to points and taste. Also where once an inferno pistol was important to stop the unit being kited, this upgrade has been less necessary since the start of the 6th Edition.

I5 with or without the BSF buff? It gets confusing trying to keep tabs on formations and if people are referring to them or not!

Standard Chaplain is INT 4, so this is example is in accordance with a BSF.

*snip*

I5 with or without the BSF buff? It gets confusing trying to keep tabs on formations and if people are referring to them or not!

Standard Chaplain is INT 4, so this is example is in accordance with a BSF.

Ah, then in answer to evildrcheese I imagine that Paikis resolved the many wounds from DC before the Chaplain. So while at the same initiative step the Chaplain didn't get to swing as the DC had done their bloody work already. So I think anyway!

I hope that our Chaplain get some special treatment when we get a new codex. They really should stand out more from the rank and file Marines in their stats.

As for DC and giving them upgrade pistols... I can see the appeal in some hard hitting (in particular AT) shooting. I guess if I ever change my mind and want some in the future I'll have to source some more DC to model and paint up to do so. No bad thing :)

You realise that the Chappy is I5, and should be striking first, right?

EDC

Chappy and DC have the same initiative of 5 when run in a BSF (which I did). I just rolled the DC first.

Or many brothers prefer to have a few smaller units that each pose a mid level threat.

I'm more of a shock and awe player though - So I'll drop a squad of 15 with a few swords and fist plus hammer with minimal scatter thanks to locator beacons from my earlier drop pods and such.

They'll eat a load of firepower sure but my lord only a few need to survive to inflict maximum carnage. Plus if you're also dropping in Dreads and other threats your opponents target priority just goes to poop.

I like this! This is what I need because I'm still approaching my battles from the mindset of playing Crimson Fists, where I had tons of "hardware goodies" such as Thunderfire cannons, Gravcannons, etc (massive firepower) and little in the way of specialized marine units except for sternguard and vanguard. 

I've only played two armies [proud to say] and I've come back to my home, but man after playing a codex chapter for a good year the re-adjustment is a real struggle.

I think there is real surprise value in smattering a few inferno pistols around too.

Sure melta-cide are the dedicated guys, but having a second wave of DC/ SG/ Characters with an incredibly powerful ranged attack is not to be taken lightly.

And sure - you'll spend like 150 or so points on them, but thats the same as a tri-las pred and I know what I find more efficient.

I like this! This is what I need because I'm still approaching my battles from the mindset of playing Crimson Fists, where I had tons of "hardware goodies" such as Thunderfire cannons, Gravcannons, etc (massive firepower) and little in the way of specialized marine units except for sternguard and vanguard.

I've only played two armies [proud to say] and I've come back to my home, but man after playing a codex chapter for a good year the re-adjustment is a real struggle.

I really feel you man.. been playing Iron Hands with Chaptermaster smash:cusser on bike with a Command Squad. Its soo difficult when you go back to playing Blood Angels, and they miss like half of the hardware you got used to with a Codex Chapter. I have been using Space Marine Quad Mortars from FW to replace my Thunderfire Cannons, they are pretty successful so far. Don't have an answer for Grav Cannons, we are sadly still hampered with that sad.png

A Blood Angel Decurion would good, however it should have been added ages ago or with Angels of Death. Also i do not get it why GW hasnt given DA, BA or SW access the stuff from BaC as they did in Angels of Death supplement... le sigh.

Archived