The Stormbird and DiY successors

Cpt_Reaper

Alright. Time to justify a future project.

I want a stormbird as my Angels' "big thing". Maybe not a Sokar pattern but a stormbird nonetheless.

Problem is the 1st Legion lost their last stormbird in a recorded campaign in the current codex history section.

Solution: I've justified my chapter's access to ancient gear with the fact their fortress is an old lost 1st Legion fortress.

Could a stormbird be in the armoury? If so would the Dark Angels demand it or let us keep it?

Yep, now I remember. Grand Master Nakir of Consecrators have had found a Heavenfall Blade which belonged to the first lord of the Disciples of Caliban, Grand Master Orias. Nakir wanted to return the blade but Azrael didn't accept it. He said: "‘It is not only yours by right of recovery, but you would bring honour to the cousin of my own blade." (emphasis by me). 

In the same book (the Unforgiven by Gav Thorpe) from which this excerpt come there is a passage about Consecrators mix'match armours "gathered from armouries and forgotten Legiones Astartes depots scattered across the galaxy". So, I think that you can safely include that ugly beast of dropship in your army :)

Problem is the 1st Legion lost their last stormbird in a recorded campaign in the current codex history section.

I've missed this, what page is it on?

My bad. It was in the Cypher dataslate.

- First Contact? (Unknown Date.M31) - It is likely the Dark Angels experienced their first run-ins with the Fallen identified as Cypher during their quest to discover new recruiting worlds. There are over a dozen entries recorded citing mysterious circumstances, acts of sabotage and casualties amongst both the Dark Angels and their potential recruits. These attacks influenced which worlds were originally chosen (or not chosen, as the case often turned out to be). In hindsight, several Librarians have suggested these attacks were instigated by Cypher. Certainly the Massacre on Olney and the loss of the Legion's last remaining Stormbird on the moons of Sestus bear his mysterious hallmarks.

I wouldn't get hung up on such details. cortex is supposed to be the last remaining jetbike as well and.. Yeah, nobody bats an eye when a successor "Sammael" rides one. The Imperium is such a big place that you never know when you will find a cache of relics...

Cheers all. Now to research stormbird patterns.

My current theory is that the warhawk IV is the old epic marine lander and the sokar pattern is halfway between that and the thunderhawk.

Yeah. The one FW is making holds about 50 marines. But there are other patterns talked about in the books that can hold up to a full company, 100 marines (I don't know if that also includes vehicles like rhinos or not.)

MOAR HEADCANNON!

There would be the standard Warhawk IV that can deploy 100 marines, a couple of tanks (say 4 rhino class, 4 land raider proteus or a pair of Spartans) and a logistical version that carries tanks and supplies. The logistical version is the Epic lander and the gunship is the Warhawk IV. I'm calling the logistical version the Nephoros, the only other named variant of the stormbird.

Archived