1000 Points Word Bearers (Zone Mortalis)

Put this list together to find a use for models I really like / want to get a change to paint, but are unlikely to find it into my standard 2000-3000 Point Lists regularly.

Never played Zone Mortalis before, but seems like it would be a good way of getting to use some models that wouldn't see much playtime otherwise, and I would only have to add a couple of HQ's in and I'll be set.

Rite of War: Zone Mortalis Assault Force (Mainly for the increased Inv of Breachers)

Delegatus - 105

(Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Power Weapon, Melta Bombs)

Chaplain - 110 / 215

(Artificer Armour, Refractor Field, Melta Bombs)

Breacher Squad - 260 / 475

(2 Graviton Guns, Melta Bombs)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought - 325 / 800

(Grav-Flux Bombard, Armoured Ceramite, Phosphex Discharger)

Ashen Circle (5) - 200 / 1000

(2 Power Axes, Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs)

Delegatus and Chaplain join the Breachers. Lots of Blasts and Template attacks to take advantage of Shred, Graviton weapons for anti-walker/difficult and dangerous terrain (seems like that would be a big deal in ZM), Leviathan will destroy AP2/3 and Armoured Ceramite will protect from Melta. Ashen Circle are a counter attack / harassment unit.

All have Hardened Armour, AV13 or 2+ Save to prevent Rending.

Tactics would involve the Breachers and HQ's sitting in base contact (for better Inv) in a corridor shooting Grav blasts, backed up by the Leviathan.

If forces have to be split, Ashen Circle in Reserve (2 units on, assuming the Breachers with HQ's count as 1, 1 reserve).

I understand the theory you're suggesting, but I would avoid taking graviton guns on the Breachers. In ZM, mobility is the key, so if you can't shoot a weapon after moving, why bother taking it? Meltaguns will serve you better (as very little has armoured ceramite indoors).

Leviathan, hey? Cool! It could get stuck moving through the corridors, depending on the board you play on. Might be worth looking into that before you commit to it.

A Leviathan with its bigger base size will struggle on most Zone Mortalis boards. But since you're playing Word Bearers and don't have any daemons/psykers, why not go for a Mhara Gal instead, saving you 20 points for some extra goodies. Also worth thinking about is a Contemptor-Cortus, since the side armour reduction is rarely an issue in the corridors of a Zone Mortalis board. You could even fit two of them for the price of a single Leviathan/Mhara Gal.

Why jump infantry in a Zone Mortalis board? Remember that they take dangerous terrain checks if you move more than 6" in the movement phase. I think you would be better off with some Terminators (probably Tartaros since they can run) or Gal Vorbak (if you don't go for the Mhara Gal).

Archived