Blood Angel Captain weapon load out ...

The relic sword is good and all but the compromise it makes does not justify 2 extra S which wont cut it against the really troublesome gribblies anyway. For what they are truly good at I find the S from Valors Edge is enough. If I want reliable High S bully captain I'd get one with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield preferrably on a bike.

I look at it like this. We waited for almost 5 years before we were able to equip our captains with Relic Blades, and so I do love taking it. It really depends on your meta. I use the Relic Blade for troop, monster and high toughness hunting and to reliably threaten vehicles. I use Valour's Edge with digital weapons to hunt HQs. Mainly because I'd rather deal with a 3++ or 4++ when wounding on 3s and 4s with a re-roll to 1 wound, versus wounding on 2s with a 2+ however, I have done much more damage with the Relic Blade on a Captain than I have with Valour's Edge, simply because of the versatility of S6(7) @ Initiative 5-7 with AP3 because always wounding MEQs on 2s so you aren't tar pitted is better than S4(5) @Initiative 5-7 with AP2 wounding on 4s with a re-roll when tar pitted.

Archived