2000 point ultramarines (Anti-Tank advice required!)

Hi all, trying to write a 2000 point list but having a bit of a problem deciding on what anti-tank units/vehicles to get! So far I have 1500 out of the 2000 points used up, allowing me for 500 points of dedicated anti-tank. Everything seen in the list has already been bought. I don't play often, or against many people, however a work friend has both an ork army and a necron army and said he wouldnt mind playing. But I would also like the list to hold its own against another heresy list just in case. Not going for majorly competitive, just something I'm not always going to lose with!!

This is how the list looks so far, as you can see I've pretty much got no dedicated anti-tank currently in the list! I will point out now that I'm not a huge fan of the larger tanks e.g fellblades/typhons etc tongue.png. So yeah, any help would be greatly appreciated!

+ HQ (750pts) +
Legion Centurion (100pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs]
····Consul [Chaplain]
Legion Praetor (650pts) [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade]
····Invictarus Suzerain Squad [5x Invictarus Suzerains, Thunderhammer]
········Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]
+ Troops (430pts) +
Legion Tactical Squad (215pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist]
Legion Tactical Squad (215pts) [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
+ Elites (320pts) +
Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (320pts) [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Bombs, Sniper]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Weapon]

A Sicaran with Lascannon Sponsons would work quite well. Although it is more of an all-rounder, the Accelerator Autocannon would be great for removing Jink saves and light vehicles (Necrons and Orks). I have this as my Anti-Tank at 2000 Points.

A more dedicated option would be to take a Sicaran Venator (No Sponsons the Neutron Laser is Ordnance). Big fan of the Venator - not got one yet, but I would love to use one.

Sicarans are expensive though (Venator starts at 190, before Armoured Ceramite etc)

Leaving the final option, a Vindicator Squadron (2 with Laser Destroyers are 260 before upgrades).

2 Vindicators with Laser Destroyer Arrays would be very effective at taking out Tanks!

I would recommend checking the rules for all of these (Crusade List for Sicarans, Book 6 for updated Vindicator Rules) and seeing which you prefer, you could probably fit 2 out of 3 for 500 Points.

Everytime I have asked or read about shutting down Spartans for example, the following suggestions always seem to comes back: Sicaran Venator and Rapier batteries.  Which weapon for the Rapiers depends on your needs and what you face.

It seems the sicaran appears to be the most popular choice!, both here and over on heresy30k where I posted the same question. Somebody over there suggested a sicaran venator and some regular predators, what are other peoples thoughts on this? Here is a list using that combo:

+ HQ +

Legion Centurion [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Refractor Field]
····Consul [Chaplain]

Legion Praetor [Artificer Armour, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Paragon Blade]
····Invictarus Suzerain Squad [7x Invictarus Suzerains, Thunderhammer]
········Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]

+ Troops +

Legion Tactical Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

Legion Tactical Squad [Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

+ Elites +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad [2x Heavy Bolter and Suspensor Web, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Melta Bombs, Sniper]
····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Power Weapon]

+ Heavy Support +

Legion Predator Strike Armoured Squadron
····Legion Predator Tank [Lascannons]
····Legion Predator Tank [Lascannons]

Sicaran Venator Tank Destroyer [Armoured Ceramite]

It left me with 65 extra points, wasn't sure if armoured ceramite was worth taking on predators or not, so instead used them on getting two more suzerains and a refractor field for the chaplain. However, I've got to thinking about maybe taking two sicarans instead and ditching the preds, but not too sure!  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, as this is all I've got left to buy to round out my list!

• 2 weeks later...

Another option for anti-armour that doesn't get used as much is a Primaris Lightning with Kraken Missiles. Even if the Spartan has a Flare Shield, it still has a really good chance of killing it in a single turn. Then again I main Emperor's Children, so I'm used to running their Rite of War with the Primaris automatically arriving Turn 2 and having Outflank...

If you are looking for dedicated anti-tank I'd not look at the Sicaran at all!

2 Vindicator Laser Destroyers are, imo, point for point the best rounded options.

For a mere 260 points you could run two AV-13 tanks that each fire 3 Str9 Ap1 Ordinance shots.

Penetrations are almost guaranteed against all but the toughest armours, and Ap1 means explode results come often.

I own two, and when I've run them they were able to bring down an Imperial Knight in a single turn, just by using these tanks.

Best thing about these Tanks is the kit is cheap, easy to build and very nice looking. I'd probably run two of these and a Deredeo so I can deal with multiple vehicle threats with ease.

Archived