Painting a contempt or dread.

dalleron

So ive been mulling over how to paint the B@C dreadnought and I'd like your thoughts on the matter.

As they are "relics" I'd think, how would the DA paint them? Would they be left in Legion colors to appease the machine spirit, or be Painted green to match the chapter? Do you think there'd be venerable and thus be DW? I can see them doing all three ways.

For ease of use, I think staying Legion colours would allow me to go any way I choose, but I'm getting tired of painting back after so many bikes lol.

I'm just looking for opinions. Thx.

There is no right or wrong answer it's really what your preference is.

I have 6 dreads at home three will be painted green for my normal dreads and three will be painted bone for my venerable dreads. As all my dreads are magnetised I've decided to keep all the arms green so I don't need 6 sets of everything.

If I were to get a Contemptor I would personally do mine in the Deathwing colours as they are more venerable.

Further down the track I may buy the FW Chaplain dread and a BA Librarian dread just for rule of cool and just use them as venerable dreads.

It just depends on if you think the guy was in the Deathwing or not. The color of the Dreadnought for DA is dependent upon where he was in the chapter.
If your thoughts are he was in Dw, then bonewhite or however you paint you Dw variant in your Successor Chapter. If normal company, then green or whatever you normal color choice for normal marines in your Successor.
If you feel the Contemptor being a relic means it should be for higher up in the organization, have him be Dwing.

How do you feel about it?

I would think to be intered in a contemptor, you'd need to be pretty bad a£€, so odds are he'd be DW.", though does that automatically make him DW being a hero?

Ok, let's talk about it. Here are a few considerations:

First off, if the dreadnought serves with a Chapter in the 41st Millennium it stands to reason that it will have the livery of its Chapter - not the Legion that the Chapter originates from. That's how you'd distinguish the Dreadnoughts serving under different successors of the same original Legion.

It is extremely rear that a Dreadnought's occupant comes straight from Great Crusade / Heresy era as it would be a high probability that it perished in the 10,000 years that followed or that it's is nearly impossible to wake it from its slumber. There are exceptions of course, Bjorn comes to mind... Who is painted in current SW livery btw despite not having other successors around to speak of. Now is it possible that a DA Lord was so revered that none dared touch upon his livery? Sure. :P

As a side note, if you want to go down the road of having the occupant being from the times of the Heresy, I'd point out that there was no DW back then - at least not in the 40k sense of Fallen Hunters... However it stands to reason that such an ancient warrior would most likely become a member of the DW... Also if the occupant comes from a later era, keep in mind that not all heroes of the Chapter are necessarily DW as it takes more than battlefield prowess to be promoted to DW. You may be worthy to be interred in a Dreadnought without necessarily having being introduced to the DW. Or the interred may be DW but being assigned to a Battle Company - in which case it's green livery with possible DW markings here and there...

And even so, painting DW vehicles in white to denote DW allegiance is a fairly novel attitude (last couple of editions) as the original fluff specifically mentions that only the Terminator Armour was painted white. Not every vehicle, dreadnought and what have you! But these days everything DW is white... Of course in the pre-second edition we even have this infamous power armour DW in white. :rolleyes:

So bottom line? There is a fluff excuse for everything! Go with your heart. Toss a coin and before you see the result you'll know what you'll be hoping for - and there's your answer! :D

I have 2 contemporars, one is my version of dw, the other is my version of gw. Not every hero is/was dw or rw. But all masters are dw, keep that in mind, but fight in green. I'd say come up with a circumstance for his internment, then paint him. Does he know if the fallen? Is his role to actively pursue the fallen? Kind of things to think about

I did mine in Bone coz I thought it looked better and gave contrast, I run a lot of Ravenwing at times and all Black or all Green for that matter seemed a bit heavy on the eye, base colour is Zandri dust anyways so you can edge highlight and blend it up for a good contrast

dread1

In saying that  some people like it all 1 colour

Archived