Stormravens

Tyriks

NTaW is spot on - I didn't magnetise the nose guns either. They fit well enough without and it would be a lof of painstaking work to magnetise the small area anyway.

There must be a tutorial for magnetising the SR somewhere to help? I can't help too much I'm afriad - I didn't like the turret so I swapped it out for a Razorback turret instead which is easy enough to modify for magnetisation. I am lucky that I have access to steel sheets at work which I regularly snip off to my required sizes so that's how I magnetised the doors/Hurricane Bolters. A large door-shaped sheet glued to the inside of the SR and magets on the door/Hurricane Bolters and job done :)

Thats a good idea. I am thinking about another rhino soon, might make it a razorback and use the turret for that.

Thats a good idea. I am thinking about another rhino soon, might make it a razorback and use the turret for that.

Given that the RB kit comes with the closed doors for a Rhino it's always worth buying the kit that gives you options thumbsup.gif

Absolutely agree with Charlo.

Even more - that's the case for never using anything else than AC. TL lascanon have a nice touch for a range and maneuver - it rotates giving an angeled shot. 

But then - it's just one shot, so opponent happily can make even 5+/6+ save.

And yeah AC greatly better for snapshots - you'll make at least 1 six with pretty good 6-th strengh with chance of rending. But usually it comes with 2-3 sixes (and you want it as we lost skyfire)

The most efficient way is - 4 primary missiles/PoMS Melta for lucky-vehicle-shot/ Snaps with AC if you can reach primary missiles target (they used to be AP1 in 5-th ed.)

In pre-FAQ times it also was obligatory to take extra armour - it's cheap as dirt but provides with a critical help for immobilised/crew stunned (that could cost you the whole plane if opponent would stand in front of it)

And hurricanes... it's tough choice because quite expensive - and matches only with AC for infantry problems. 

The reason of existing -TL heavy bolters/TL Plasma canons/ Cyclone-missiles stands beyond my knowledge.

Well - It was great HB and Hurricanes for GK with psybolts - so many TLed mid-strengh shots was handy. But now...

Twin linked plasma? Really? Lascanon doing the same job but so much better - it could hit flyers, and didn't have any chance for overheat. And without skyfire now - it's a waste

This days with so much anti-blast coherency/invisibility small blast is 1-2 hit :/

It could be so much better with 3 plasma shots on 24 inch.

This is a bit off topic, but what do you think fits the roll better for a Storm Raven? As a gun boat or a transport? Personally I play mine more as a gun boat, and envision them as a tactical war helicopter than a mobile transporter.

Both.  I think of the Stormraven as a futuristic Mi-24 Hind.  It can do both in a pinch and that's why it's so great.

Would you have a picture of your storm raven with the razorback turret?  I've never really like the stock turret either and I am curious to see what it looks like with your conversion.

Sure no worries, I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them up :)

I am tempted to get some more, at least one so I can field a flyer wing for Obj Sec and an extra free Heavy Slot.

I think the Sanguine Wing might be fun too - but I'll need another 15 Vanguard and 10 Sternies for that :(

And yes - I think I would do 20 dudes with 38 Hand Flamers. Sarges need Relic Blades :D

Charlo's opponent: I'm going to have this unit of [anything] charge that one...

Charlo: are you sure you want to charge my vanguard veterans?

Charlo's opponent: yeah?

Charlo: Ok! Wow, lucky roll! I made 38 wall of death hits. You made the right decision though, because it was that or a possible 38 hits or more AND about 28 close combat hits.

Charlo's opponent: I give up this hobby and life!

My gripe with our Stormraven formations are how expensive they are, mainly the Angel's Fury Spearhead Force. I wish they would cut it down by one Stormraven and tac squad. 2 stormravens and 2 10 man tactical squads are more sensible in the points required to shepherd a hard hitting assault force onto the battlefield (and the impact on my wallet LOL).

My gripe with our Stormraven formations are how expensive they are, mainly the Angel's Fury Spearhead Force. I wish they would cut it down by one Stormraven and tac squad. 2 stormravens and 2 10 man tactical squads are more sensible in the points required to shepherd a hard hitting assault force onto the battlefield (and the impact on my wallet LOL).

2 SR and 2 Tac Squads would've been better, your not left with a lot of points to play with once you've paid the tax.

Doesn't really matter now as it's not the alpha strike beast it was before the FAQ, stating that the homer doesn't measure from the vehicle.

EDC

2 SR and 2 Tac Squads would've been better, your not left with a lot of points to play with once you've paid the tax.

Doesn't really matter now as it's not the alpha strike beast it was before the FAQ, stating that the homer doesn't measure from the vehicle.

EDC

That's really not a huge deal for me, really..  If I had/could afford 3 Storm Ravens I would most certainly lovingly use this formation..

That is a vague divergent answer in the draft which is not final.

In an strikefore mortalis i can add additional Death Company but no additional stormravens even if the DFtS entry say it so?

Then they should go full  "you can not change the startammount of models in formations".

Till there is not an erratta or faq which sepcify that i cannot, i should can go with it. should´t i?

I'd run it by the gaming group you have / TO - RAW though the unit says "1 Storm Raven" and taking unit of two is not "1".

But its a strange one. Same way that apparently you cannot upgrade a Tank Commander in IG formation to Pask.... :/

I recently saw a picture (presumably here) of someone who had painted their Stormraven's canopy white and blue to look like there was glare over it.  Has anyone else done anything similar?  I'm thinking about painting my turret's canopy the same as my hull (to just look fully automated) and then maybe painting the main canopy black to make the glass look tinted.  I can't decide though how that would look and don't want to just paint it on and see.  

But building and painting the inside of the cockpit is a terrible struggle for me and my comically oversized hands.  I have a Stormtalon that the canopy won't even fit on because I somehow put the pilot together wrong so it won't rest properly on the frame.  I don't want to mess it up like that.  

Archived