Stormravens

Tyriks

Would you have a picture of your storm raven with the razorback turret? I've never really like the stock turret either and I am curious to see what it looks like with your conversion.

Here you go brother:

You need to enlarge the turret hole to fit a Razorback turret. I kept testing it until it was large enough to fit (yet snug enough not to rattle)

Hidden Content

gallery_27469_12034_87607.jpg

I think the Razorback turret looks a lot better. Detail:

Hidden Content

gallery_27469_12034_30279.jpg

Side profile:

Hidden Content

gallery_27469_12034_276647.jpg

Isometric (sort of)

Hidden Content

gallery_27469_12034_381804.jpg

I have more pictures of the magetisation I did I can post them up if you like otherwise I also put them in my Gallery: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/12034-blood-angels/

Honestly surprised at how much I like that RB turret in place of the original. I'm still happy to have mine made the way they are, but if I had have seen that first I know what would be happening! Great call on a straightforward kitbash.

I want to take the intake off of my stormravens, and try to make the turret even more low profile. It's impossible to turn around 360 with that intake, and I had someone try to argue the turret couldn't do 360 degrees because of the intake. Thankfully, I won that game by shooting everything anyways.

^ I have never played that it has a 360 degree firing arc nor seen it argued that it does. It's never even phased me that you would need it to be more than what it can naturally turn to.

Is it even possible to remove it if the guns are attached? The design seriously has problems.

Also, BRB page 74 does indeed say that turrets do count as 360° even if the model prevents it, as Jolemai said.

Oh I wasn't disputing it, just kinda stunned at the realization we can do this. It's never once come up as making a difference in my games and no one else that I know that runs the bird plays it as such (to my knowledge, maybe it's just that situational?). Good to know I can if needed thumbsup.gif

Yeah that Razorbackturret on a Stormraven is a good idea. It came to me a year ago as i had to mount my 3 stormraven for a tournament (wysiwyg).

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/ag185/Slaughter3000/DSCN0984_zps3paza5dc.jpg

Turret fit´s after a little cutting good. Sadly the Forgeworldturret with the asscannons doesn´t fit.

I will test the stormwing on thuesday with the new dfts rules.

The air intake above the turret looks jarringly back with the razorback turret imo, moreso than the servitor turret..

No more so than the back to front tail section ;) I guess you could move the intake further forward? Or say the space is to allow greater rotation of the turret?

The air intake above the turret looks jarringly back with the razorback turret imo, moreso than the servitor turret..

No more so than the back to front tail section msn-wink.gif I guess you could move the intake further forward? Or say the space is to allow greater rotation of the turret?

I say that it can move upwards like air maneuver: 400px-Su-27_Cobra_2b.png

This is a bit off topic, but what do you think fits the roll better for a Storm Raven? As a gun boat or a transport? Personally I play mine more as a gun boat, and envision them as a tactical war helicopter than a mobile transporter.

Both.  I think of the Stormraven as a futuristic Mi-24 Hind.  It can do both in a pinch and that's why it's so great.

By the way - I have a thought, that GW will make a Stormraven dual-kit - like storm-eagle etc. but more dakka-oriented

This is a bit off topic, but what do you think fits the roll better for a Storm Raven? As a gun boat or a transport? Personally I play mine more as a gun boat, and envision them as a tactical war helicopter than a mobile transporter.

Both.  I think of the Stormraven as a futuristic Mi-24 Hind.  It can do both in a pinch and that's why it's so great.

By the way - I have a thought, that GW will make a Stormraven dual-kit - like storm-eagle etc. but more dakka-oriented

Replace the front ramp with a quad heavy bolter and a Vanquisher cannon, and the side doors with Typhoon missile launchers? (I had an idea for just such a Stormraven variant, named Morragul or Doom Raven.)

Thanks I just saw that. I forgot that GW shows the Sprite for most sets on the store nowadays. All is good.

Just need to get down to the local shop now. I expect to be done my first ETL vow tonight or tomorrow and think I will do a storm raven next.

The actually doesn't look too bad to assemble looking at the pics on GW's site.

Replace the front ramp with a quad heavy bolter and a Vanquisher cannon, and the side doors with Typhoon missile launchers? (I had an idea for just such a Stormraven variant, named Morragul or Doom Raven.)

Well it's a quite logical step - especially after recent stormhawk/wazbom kit were released.

It's another step that GW willing to take - upgrade sprue to existing kit that makes another unit (first was termendiously succesful Imperial Knight)

So if it's flyers - we have a plenty 5-ed aircraft kits - like Chaos drake, stormraven, valkirye (vendetta coming?)

Then -  we have a flyer-specific chapter that was originally airborn - where bikes and jump-packs are not uniqe feature (Scars/ravens) but flyer-specific is still uniqe (but the only mention is a special blood-angels specific rockets for Fire-raptor(which sucks btw)) 

And having all that in mind - the only one frecking aircraft that almost everybody have? And after Death from the skies - army without skyfire?

It's insanity. Clearly - GW have "the sky" update for BA modelwise (or they are really insane)

So i would do - is some fighter-type aircraft - preferably cheaper-better so we have existing Stormraven kit that need dual counterpart (and new box)

It leaves basicly 2 options - fighter or bomber and both variants have their pros and cons.

Although i definitely would be happy to see brand new flyer for BA only with quad grav-cannons sixth multimeltas and multi-deca-lasercanons)

But still - I see a bright possibilities for 8ed blood angels - new drop-pod (like charybdis from heresy), new baal-pred (melta-variant was rumored), new chaplain/sanguinary-priest/techmarine-dread (because why not? FW already has a chaplain variant) etc-etc-etc.

Modelwise Blood angels have a solid range of miniatures - only named heroes and SM vehicles are pretty old - but almost all Astartes does.

Archived