Dark Vengeance Expansion Advise

Skorp

Hi All,

I'm fairly new to warhammer and this is my first post here. I'm trying to build my first army, Dark Angels of course. Right now I'm aiming for a librarian heavy greenwing/deathwing army, but wouldn't be adverse to filling out a little ravenwing as well depending on what people recommend. I doubled up on the dark angels side of the dark vengeance box and grabbed a 3rd tactical squad for a demi-company.

Mostly I'm posting because I have a Dark Vengeance Dark Angels Expansion Box (Dark Talon, 3 Black Knights, Terminator Squad) and I'm unsure how to build the black knights and terminator squad. I went ahead and built the Dark Talon rather than a Nephilim.

Here's what I've got going thus far.

------------

Currently Have:

Demi-Company

Librarian?

Dark Vengeance Tactical Squad (Plastma Pistol, Plasma Cannon, 9x Marines)

Devastator Squad (2x Lascannon, 2x Rocket Launcher, any advise on loadout for sargeant?)

Assault Squad (2x Flamer, any advise on loadout for sargeant?)

Ravenwing Attack Squadron

6 Ravenwing Bikes, 1 Landspeeder

(really want to get a scout sniper squad, could use that to fill out the lion's blade instead)

Deathwing Strike Force

Terminator Librarian

5 Man Squad of Terminators from Dark Vengeance

5 Man Squad of Terminators from Dark Vengeance

-------------

Also Have:

Ezekiel

Librarian on Bike

More Librarians (Dark Vengeance Variety)

(I would love to do a librarius conclave)

Dark Talon

--------------

Desired To Obtain:

Land Raider Crusader/Redeemer

Darkshroud/Vengeance

2 Drop Pods

Jet Pack Chaplain

Interrogater Chaplain

Possibly Another Terminator Squad (Knights or Command)

Sniper Scout Squad

--------------

Current Questions:

1. I'm unsure whether to make the dark vegneance expansion terminator squad into Deathwing Knights or a Deathwing Command Squad? Any thoughts on loadout also?

2. Same as above for the black knights vs black knights command squad? And any thoughts on loadout also?

3. How should I equip the sargeants in my devastator and assault squads?

This feels like a really long post and a lot to ask for, so thanks for any help and feedback you guys can give a new guy. tongue.png

1. If you are unsure, the best way is to magnetize. If you can't magnetize build Knights and with the command squad spare parts, you only need to get extra terminators from  e-bay or a trade, to put the extra bitz you have to make one termie squad into a command squad.

2. Most likely you'll use the RW command squad more often. The usual setup is standard bearer, apothecary, champion and max 1 grenade launcher.

3. Keep the sgts barebones. In a devastator a bolter is enough. In an assault squad if you have the points then go for  combi flamer (usually the assault squad has 2 flamers)

Honestly with all of the green you have the next purchases that I would make would be rhinos and magnetise them as razor backs.

Then I would build the biker box as a command squad for the bike Libby and get rid of the terminator librarian and all or almost all of the terminators.

Then start collecting towards the second demi company. Buy scouts if you want to play dual demi companies at 1500 points otherwise they are not needed.

1 Deathwing knights

2 Black Knight CS (get another box) and make 6

3 Dev - bolter Assault - combi flamer

With the assault squad your giving them a job 3 flamers for some impact is better than 2, Deathwing Knights are awesome drop pod Ezekiel near by & have him hook up with them for the extra attack T5 & WS5 are a big deal as is rage on the charge + the extra swing

Start looking at combinations as in enough pods to get your infantry characters hooked up with your Deathwing, using the Raven SF rule to get the Talon in T2 etc

I would leave the Devastator Sarg with a bolter, he's more of a buff to the unit with his signum, and the only time I would ever bother firing him is if the devastators are getting charged, and then they are probably screwed anyway. Assault Sarg, I personally have a few different ones for different occasions, a vet with a power sword for facing marines, a vet with a mace for facing orks, etc...

But as has already been said, magnetise where you can, and I would also agree on getting some razorbacks, another box of black knights to make a 6 man command squad.

As for the Deathwing Knights, I rarely use Deathwing at the moment, they just don't fit with my current build, but I am a huge fan of Deathwing Knights, as long as you can get them into combat they are a great unit. 

Hi, Skorp! And welcome to the Rock!  I have  a few questions for you first.  What points level do you expect to play at and do you have a copy of the latest codex?

If you are looking at fielding a Lion's Blade, you will need to have a company master or a chaplain for the demi-company.  You then can bring in another HQ on top of that, that would be your librarian.  One draw back (at least for me) of using a DA Librarius Conclave is that we have to take Ezekiel along.  There are some perks to having him too but he cannot take Terminator Armour or a bike.  You could skip the conclave and take a three librarians in terminator armour in a DWRF or three librarians on bikes in a RWSF.  I do not think there are any reasons why could not take a Space Marines Librarius Conclave as allies.  There are some pretty good perks to them too but they do not have access to Interromancy.  Just some things to think about.

As to your other questions, build the DW command squad.  The Halberd of Caliban on the champion is an AP2 and swings at initiative.  It is a good thing to have.  The DWKs look awesome and I think they are coolest terminators out there but right now they are pretty useless.  We used to be able to start them on the board in a land raider (you still can using a CAD) but deep striking them means they will not be able to swinging until the third round. 

I have been putting bolters on my greenwing sergeants.  I have been playing a double demi-company at 1500 points so I have to skimp on the load outs where I can.  Most of your tac squads will be shooting so the sergeants get bolters or combi-plasmas.  Depending on what you want to do with your assault squads, you may want to give your sergeants power weapons.  If you are buying the new assault marine kits, I would give my sergeant the eviscerator chain sword and also give him the veteran upgrade.  The sergeant will then have two attacks.

I agree with the good chaplain with the Black Knights.  Make them a command squad.

The Ravenwing Attack Squad is a good formation to use.  You should look into getting two grav guns.  They work really well with the bikes. 

Thanks so much for the wonderful replies! I was thinking I might not get any. 

I do have a dark angels codex. I was overall aiming for a 1850 point list, it looks like I might try and join a tournament at the end of June that is 1500 points. I'd love to have a good 800 or so list as well for smaller fun games at the local GW store on weekends. 

I forgot that I do have company masters that came with the dark vengeance box as well. 

I can magnetize, I've got magnets but haven't tried doing it with anything yet, any advise or links to good tutorials on it? I picked up a couple exorcists cause I loved their look, I was going to magnetize and have them function as rhinos if needed. Would you guys recommend getting razorbacks to have their weapon options? 

I'll look into how hard it is to make deathwing knights and convert one squad into a command squad. If not it sounds like I should go with a command squad. Don't want to get rid of them cause I love the models and want to paint them, but it sounds like I should go with ravenwing over deathwing with the current codex for games.

I was considering the dark angels battleforce for an attack bike and another land speeder, will consider that more seriously to fill out a RW command squad. I didn't see a grav gun for the black knights in the sprues with the dark vengeance expansion, did I miss it or is there somewhere in particular one gets those?

Was also considering the battle at calth box for the cataphracti termis and the contemptor dreadnaught, not sure how those could fit into the picture. 

Getting excited about my dark angels again!

There isnt any Grav Weapons on the DA specific sprues unfortunately.  You may want to look at eBay, Bitz sites etc. Or buy a Tact box or Dev box.  Grav on a relentless platform (read bikes) is brilliant, you get to fire the full salvo number every time!

The B@C box is brilliant, you get 30 PA bodies enough heavy weapons for a Missile Launcher / Heavy Bolter Dev squad and enough specials to kit out 6 5 man Tacticals if you desired, and on top of that the Termies and Contemptor.  you could also get yourself a Chaplain from there to fulfil the requirements in a double Demi. 

Hope that helps

1500 to 1850 is a fairly common list size.  You can have a well loaded double demi company with 5 man squads for 1850 points.  The big question is what to bring for your auxiliary.  Razorbacks are the way to go with the double demi because it is basically a free heavy bolter and metal box.  They do not need to be magnetized as the weapon turret and double doors can easily be swapped out.  You are always better off buying the razorback over the rhino every time.  They are the same kit except the razorback gets an extra sprue with the heavy weapons and turret.  For the extra five bucks? Always worth it.

Most of my magnetizing has been my assault marine sergeants,bike sergeants and HQs.  DW sergeants are good idea too.  It is especially useful when playing WYSIWYG.  I have magnetized a Nephilim and a land speeder too.  I have not found any tutorials on those but I didn't look too head either.

Black Knights aren't able to carry special weapons.  The grav guns are not on their sprues either.  The grav guns would go on your regular ravenwing bikers. You can have up to 2 special weapons per squad. 

Archived