Spagunk's 2016 ETL V thread

Spagunk

Hello everyone. A little late on this but thought I would start a progress thread for this year finally.

As the ETL post shows, here is where I started;

gallery_40907_9492_476413.jpg

gallery_40907_9492_244524.jpg

With that, I made only a bit of progress in the past week. Base coat of red on everything and a spot of black on some stuff.

gallery_40907_9492_769179.jpg

So some progress. Not as much as I would like but I do have a bit of time to get this done.

My hope is to have at least 3 total vows to match last year. Hoping for a fourth but I want to make sure I complete things before getting too ahead of myself.

Here is what I am planning to get done;

Vow two: Vindicator with another 5 man Melta assault squad

Vow three: 4 man grav biker squad plus sanguinary priest

Vow four: ???

Anyway, some of the delay was due to the fact that the nozzle on my white primer was clogged. I soaked it in gum spirit (turpentine) to see if that would unclog it but to no avail. As such, I had to improvise:

gallery_40907_9492_75085.jpg

Yes, that is an average everyday sprayer head connected to a cocktail straw that is connected to the pin on the top of the can. This brand, though pretty decent, uses an inverted sprayer so that the actual sprayer is not connected to a stem.

Anyway, I have a lot of work ahead of me as I still need to finish with my black paint. Today was a lot of bulk painting/second base coating but I have plenty left on the main tank body before hitting the fine detail black paint.

Good luck Spagunk. I really enjoyed painting my Baals for From Rage to Salvation last year, have you made the weapons swapable or is it dakka all the way.

EDC

It's swapable but I haven't glued the magnets on them yet.

I think the assault cannon barrels should be all black, to hide the soot that'll inevitably cover it. You may also want to consider heat staining the gun barrels.

The black is the base coat that I will apply a dry brush of metal on. I don't have the paints for heat staining in the proper way but soot will be applied.

• 4 weeks later...

Bit of an update on this one.

RL have really gotten in the way and so I am trying to make what progress I can. Really getting nervous about second and third vows.

gallery_40907_9492_37695.jpg

After taking this picture, I ended up almost completing all the detail and highlighting to the chap in the top right. Since all of the 3 base colors are already on these guys, I figured that I spend time on each one individually for the detail work instead of bulk/assembly lines.

Another update. Just about done with dude 2. I am taking a bit longer than before to finish them which means that I am in jeopardy of not being able to vow a 4th time with a 3rd time being sketchy.

Anyhow, here is what I got:

gallery_40907_9492_152208.jpg

Here is what I have left to finish...

gallery_40907_9492_93825.jpg

/Sigh...

As a side note, the guy in the first picture on the right has lost his left arm. It went missing about the time I took the before picture and I have not been able to find it. That means I will have to dig through my bits to find a suitable replacement. Probably will do that once everything else is done.

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. RL issues are still getting in the way of completing this vow. If I do another vow, it will have to be small to ensure I don't nullify my work.

For now, here is what I have:

gallery_40907_9492_383986.jpg

The body and tracks are still being worked on. I need new glue so my guys aren't put together yet even though they are finished with their paint.

One mistake I figured out late is that I neglected to pain the helmets yellow. Since they already are done, I don't want to paint over them again. Oh well.

They do indeed! Look forward to seeing them all put together!

If the helmets aren't glued on yet you could keep them for tactical marines and paint up new ones for these guys. I have seen quite a few red helmeted assault marines though and they still look cool.

My first two assault squads from way back when had red helmets with yellow stripes instead. Since my main army is 6th company my fluff reason is that they are all tactical marines who will arm themselves with weapons as befitting the role and would just pain stripes to tell their squad mates what role they are doing that battle.

Since these guys are going to be 2nd/3rd company assault marines (since I already have 2x 6th company assault marines) I wanted to paint them in codex approved colors. The chest eagle being yellow was a throwback to 2nd/3rd edition.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Charlo and everyone else. The new paint process started with last years terminators and continues on. I haven't painted their company insignias or put any decals on but I intend for this to be either 2nd or 3rd company marines. I may go back to using Vallejo colors when doing more 6th company guys so that the red is darker but I haven't decided yet as I dig the brighter orange/red of the Evil Sunz a bit more.

Archived