Fluff Question - Interrogator Chaplain and Ravenwing

Hi guys, I'm getting back into 40k after a 3 year break or so.

As always, the pull of the First Legion is strong, so I am going with a Ravenwing force to start with.

Anyways, onto my question....Because I like to build/limit my armies to the fluff wherever possible....

In the Chapter structure, it says that the Ravenwing has a Chaplain.

Would an Interrogator Chaplain, from the Inner Circle, ever ride a Bike and lead a 2nd Company force?

Hi guys, I'm getting back into 40k after a 3 year break or so.

As always, the pull of the First Legion is strong, so I am going with a Ravenwing force to start with.

Anyways, onto my question....Because I like to build/limit my armies to the fluff wherever possible....

In the Chapter structure, it says that the Ravenwing has a Chaplain.

Would an Interrogator Chaplain, from the Inner Circle, ever ride a Bike and lead a 2nd Company force?

Interrogator-Chaplains do pretty much whatever they want.

The last codex show the DA chapter contains 10 chaplains one dedicated to each company and 30 interigator chaplains within the reclusiem. These interigator chaplains are not designated to any specific company but its a safe bet that a higher proportion would be attached to the DW and RW as they are at the forefront of the hunt. So fluff wise your good and safe. hmmm must get around to adding them to my force.

Why would you?

The interrogator is unique to DA as he has the extra wound, attack and buff to Initiative for a mere 20 points

The Ravenwing version beefed up with the Mace of Redemption is the HQ of choice, someone butch enough to fill Sammaels shoes at  50 points less giving you scope to add a couple of Psyker Bikers armed with force power axes.

Why would you?

The interrogator is unique to DA as he has the extra wound, attack and buff to Initiative for a mere 20 points

The Ravenwing version beefed up with the Mace of Redemption is the HQ of choice, someone butch enough to fill Sammaels shoes at  50 points less giving you scope to add a couple of Psyker Bikers armed with force power axes.

I am thinking of testing mine as carrying Mace of Redemption, Foe Smiter, Melta Bomb and Digital Weapons. 190pts all in.

In a RW Command Squad backed by Darkshroud, I feel he could be a beast.

Something else: in the novels Ravenwing and Master of Sanctity, Malcifer carries the title of Chaplain and is assigned to the Ravenwing... but he is, in fact, a full Interrogator-Chaplain.

The lore is mixed in this regard, but my thought is that Interrogator-Chaplains don't introduce themselves as such. It wouldn't make sense to. Who exactly do they interrogate? Do they need anyone to know that, in fact, they don't destroy all the enemies of Man but instead capture some for unknown reasons? To what extent would routine interrogations of enemy personnel require a high-ranking officer?

As such, I figure Interrogator-Chaplains are simply known as Chaplains to those outside the Inner Circle. It is probably apparent to even line battle-brothers, however,  that there is a structure of seniority and initiation... and that some Chaplains, even those who don't have an honorific like "Grand Master" or "Master of ..." are obviously higher-ranking than others.

Quick semi off topic. As I read it the interogator Chaplaincan be equipped with a bike, lightning claw and power fist. is that correct?

If I'm right this seems the most optimal load out if a little unfluffy.

The extra attack and option to strike at initiative seem good but I don't think I could bring myself to send him in without his weapon of office.

Why would you?

The Ravenwing version beefed up with the Mace of Redemption is the HQ of choice, someone butch enough to fill Sammaels shoes at 50 points less giving you scope to add a couple of Psyker Bikers armed with force power axes.

I am thinking of testing mine as carrying Mace of Redemption, Foe Smiter, Melta Bomb and Digital Weapons. 190pts all in.

In a RW Command Squad backed by Darkshroud, I feel he could be a beast.

I am not sure if you are playing with the draft of FAQ's just yet, but 1 relic pee character will be coming in the future, so there's no reason to get attached to this build.

Archived