Aruis' Angels of Absolution WiP Log

Aruis

Hey everyone,

Now that a new GW store has opened up near me, I finally have a reason to get back into the hobby in full force! I thought it would be nice to have a place to share my work-in-progress models (since I'm a really slow painter), and help motivate myself to get enough models ready to start playing. There also doesn't seem to be a lot of representation of the successor chapters, so this is my way of correcting that.

Up first is my interrogator Chaplain with Jump pack:

Interrogator Chaplain w/ jump pack WIP

Not a great photo since I had to use my phone, but I'll try to get some better pictures and more angles tomorrow when there's better light. I decided to use the Blood Angels jump chaplain because I really like how dynamic the pose is, and figured I could make it look like an unforgiven model with a little paint. Unfortunately, I don't have a whole lot of paints to choose from since my collection is small, which meant I had to learn how to paint non metallic gold on the crozius (I think it turned out alright, but let me know what you think), and I had to mix a black for the armor since I don't have any of that either. All things considered though, I think the model is shaping up quite nicely! I still have to paint up a head for him and figure out how I'm going to do the chapter symbol on his shoulder pad, but once that's finished he'll be all set for the tabletop!

I'd appreciate hearing what you guys think, and I'll be sure to put up some better pictures of this guy and my one completed tactical marine tomorrow.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone! I managed to get some batteries for the camera and snap some better quality photos of the chaplain, complete with finished chapter badge! Still trying to find the best way to paint it though. The AoA badge is pretty tricky and my freehand isn't so great. Looking at the pictures now, I think the armor could do with getting a little more contrast from shadows and highlights. In particular his right side looks a little muddy.

Jump Chaplain front

Jump Chaplain Left

Jump Chaplain right

Jump Chaplain Back

So I know he's got an inferno pistol, which dark angels technically aren't supposed to have, but I really like the way it looks. Mostly I don't trust myself to not mess up replacing the pistol unsure.png. If anyone asks, I'll just tell them it's a fancy looking bolt pistol.

Later today or tomorrow I'll put up a few pictures of some of my tactical marines, so stay tuned!

Thanks Brother Arkley, those shoulderpads look great, I'll have to see about picking some of those up going forward!

Now for today's update:

Finished jump chaplain

I finished up the chaplain's head and tacked it in place for a photograph. I'm not a huge fan of the original helmet, and I don't have any other suitable chaplain-y heads lying around so I decided to go helmetless for this one. I think the beard makes him look severe enough to be a chaplain though.

Close up

Here's a close-up of the face. I tried to give him some greying hair, but I don't know if it turned out the best.

Marine 1

Here's the first of the tactical marines in a shooting pose. The squad's designated marksman. Still needs a few more small details added like pouches, grenades, and squad and company markings.

Marine 1 side

And a side view to show off the blending on his helmet that I worked so hard on! happy.png

Snap together

This one here is an added bonus: A snap together marine I painted at my local GW for the 30th-anniversary celebration. I painted him up in store for a friendly painting competition and managed to win! But this little guy served as the test model and my original inspiration for this project.

Lineup

And here's a lineup of my (very small) collection so far! It really shows the difference in size and how much better scaled the new kits are compared to the old ones. The new tactical marines are far more imposing, especially on 32mm bases.

Agreed. I do think the red parts on the Chaplain could be darker and that the OSL on the jump pack could do with a bit more work. All in all though, you're off to a good start. :tu:

Archived